PDA

View Full Version : Changing oil quantity problems

Jason.H.
08-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Hello everyone, I have a 1990 tristar 190 with indmar 351w before the start of the season I changed the oil and drained it through the hull with the drain hose. I did it correctly, drained when oil was hot and I even let it drain over night. Had filler cap off and oil filter off while it drained. This only resulted in about 3 quarts draining out (it was full on the dipstick before hand). Well I have put about 20 hours on the boat and decided to go ahead and do another oil change. This time I used a vacuum oil extractor, same method as last, oil hot, cap off, ect. Same thing, about three quarts. Is this normal? How much oil are you guys that do your own service getting out of the 351w? I mean the oil looks nice and clean on the dipstick after I change it, but I have researched online and in the manual and everything says it should hold around 5qts.

willyt
08-27-2012, 09:13 AM
are you pre-filling the oil filter...? depending on the model that can take almost 1/2 a quart.

that is odd though, i usually am able to get all 5 quarts out

Jason.H.
08-27-2012, 09:30 AM
No I dont pre-fill the filter (it screws on horizontally, so it will spill out) but I do start it and let it run the sit for a couple minutes, then check the oil.

GoneBoatN
08-27-2012, 10:56 AM
How much oil did you put back in until it read Full?

I assume you checked the oil and it was at the full mark before changing?

Are you accounting for the oil you loose while changing the filter and what remains in the filter?

Is your boat/trailer/engine level when changing oil?

The drain hose on mine is the bottom of the pan. It is a fitting so I assume there is some height to that fitting that might prevent all the oil from draining. Perhaps others would comment on this. My last oil change I drained through the drain hose. I used an oil extractor on the drain hose just to speed things up.

Then I used the extractor and tube down the dip stick tube to confirm I could get no more oil out - I got no more oil out this way.

Jason.H.
08-27-2012, 11:14 AM
I put in three quarts and it reads full. engine is as level as possible, I have the tounge of the trailer all the way down to help level it out. Dipstick looks original and has a ford emblem on it so I am assuming it is the correct one.

EricB
08-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I can't tell you what is happening with your situation, but 3 qts is not enough. Might be a good idea to measure the length of the dipstick and ask to compare to some others on this board with similar engines in that boat/vintage. I can tell you that 3 qts is not enough.

LouisvilleFan
08-27-2012, 12:41 PM
If he's only draining 3 qts then putting in 3 qts is enough...what's the dipstick got to do with it not draining fully?

swardco
08-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Here is an older thread talking about a similar issue.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3507&highlight=dipstick+accurate

EricB
08-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Most PCM's take 5 qts. Replacing only 3 during a change is not adequate.

etduc
08-27-2012, 03:44 PM
I put in three quarts and it reads full. engine is as level as possible, I have the tounge of the trailer all the way down to help level it out. Dipstick looks original and has a ford emblem on it so I am assuming it is the correct one.

There's one problem. Engine is not level relative to the lake, during operation, or floating for that matter. That angle increases, as power is applied.

Other problem with Tristars, using drain hose. The hose goes over a stringer, and loops out the bilge drain. Not fully draining. (At least mine did.)

Measure the length of you dip stick. (Make your own jokes.)

Post the length, ask for a fellow tristarer, to do the same.

The 351w, takes between 4-5quarts, depending on how well it has drained and if new filter is installed.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-27-2012, 04:14 PM
4.75 qts out and in on my 89 ts190 351w, same here with hose routing.

Jason.H.
08-27-2012, 04:31 PM
4.75 qts out and in on my 89 ts190 351w, same here with hose routing.

Are you draining through the plug hole or sucking out from the dipstick? Also if you get a chance could you measure your dipstick and record and part number that may be on it. I will measure mine when I get home from work.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Are you draining through the plug hole or sucking out from the dipstick? Also if you get a chance could you measure your dipstick and record and part number that may be on it. I will measure mine when I get home from work.

draining through bilge hole, ill get dipstick info for you...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
part number D5UE-6750-AF FORD M
measured from bottom of handle to add-safe lines

Lumbergh
08-28-2012, 03:43 PM
I think the dipsticks are FUBAR on these 351Ws.

I drained my for 2 days last oil change, added 4.5 quarts and called it good.

Dipstick seemed off prior to oil change, no better after oil change.

Think next oil change I may drain using bottom hose, then try to vacuum drain from dipstick to make sure I get all oil from pan.

Jason.H.
08-28-2012, 06:37 PM
thank you J.McCreight. Yeah thats the same dipstick I have. Guess maybe I should just add a bit more and check it next time the boat is in the water.

pbgbottle
08-28-2012, 08:12 PM
my tristar reads like your is , weird .
when i put 5 quarts in mine not filling the filter it is way over full.

this time around i just put 4 quarts in it and left it at that it is still showing above full.
i have been curious about this also . i am always concerned about it not having enough oil.
but the dip stick says over full.

hey james i can't read the numbers in your pic very well. i would like to check my dipstick also i do have the same one you listed .D5UE-6750-AF

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-28-2012, 08:17 PM
my tristar reads like your is , weird .
when i put 5 quarts in mine not filling the filter it is way over full.

this time around i just put 4 quarts in it and left it at that it is still showing above full.
i have been curious about this also . i am always concerned about it not having enough oil.
but the dip stick says over full.

hey james i can't read the numbers in your pic very well. i would like to check my dipstick also i do have the same one you listed .D5UE-6750-AF

from base of handle to "add" line 22 3/8" to "full" 21 5/16"