PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Marathon - Throw them away

CCAnderson
08-27-2012, 08:37 AM
I have digging around the web looking for info on Goodyear Marathon tire information. After much searching and reading various forums the best recommendation I have found is throw them away and buy a different brand. Despite the Goodyear brand name, the Marathin tire has a bad reputation.

I blew out a tire Friday evening on I-80. It was a Marathon (Canadian made) in good condition at 65 psi per the recommendations. PS209 on a single axle trailer with ST225/75R15 tires with less than 2000 miles. Earlier this summer my brother lost 2 Marathons on the same 30 mile trip while pulling his Crownline 220LS tandem trailer with ST215/75R14 tires and maybe 3000 miles.

There has been some talk about China made versus North American made but I am over that hype and now it is time for two new replacements.

I'm glad I had a spare and the right tools because the side of interstate is not a fun place to be changing a tire with your pregnant wife and 2 year old sitting in the car. Hind sight I should have made them get out and go stand as far away from the road as possible.

Grant777
08-27-2012, 09:15 AM
So what is the right replacement? I'm
About to buy a spare tyre and we can't get the marathon here in Dubai. One recommendation was the Goodyear Wrangler. Any thoughts?

CCAnderson
08-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Make sure it is rated a trailer tire which is designated by ST for Special Trailer. As far as replacement I can't say what will be the best but I'm not shelling out a the premium for the Goodyear name when it has proven to be an inferior product. My spare is a Maxxis which I paid $175 for tire, rim mount and balance at the local shop here in tow. Time will tell on how long it lasts. I'm going through another local guy and friend of the family for the next two.

All right tire guys time for the conversation to start on what should we be buying.

east tx skier
08-27-2012, 09:51 AM
I went this route last summer. I had about 4 years on my U.S. made Marathons and decided I was living on borrowed time (had tread separation on my last set at about 4 years). Went Maxxis and no troubles one year in.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-27-2012, 09:55 AM
So what is the right replacement? I'm
About to buy a spare tyre and we can't get the marathon here in Dubai. One recommendation was the Goodyear Wrangler. Any thoughts?

As stated, don't use an LT or P rated tire for a trailer tire. They are not designed for the stress a trailer tire receives. Stay with an ST rated tire (that isn't a Marathon) and you will be fine. There are lots of good tires out there and I am not aware of a bad ST tires other than the Marathon. I sell several brands of trailer tires and haven't had a trailer tire warranty in years.

CCAnderson
08-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Good to know.

I bought the boat last year without a spare. Decided to pick on up before heading tout on a 3 hour trip to southern Iowa. Glad I made the decision. I won't be going without a spare ever again. At first my wife questioned the "additional expense" but she quickly justified it.

On a different note. My friend doesn't even have a place on his trailer for a spare. Same size marathons as my trailer. I guess Malibu's paper thin hull is so light that spare tires are not needed. Or just another way to scrap up a few more dollars profit margin.

GoneBoatN
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Good to know.

...My friend doesn't even have a place on his trailer for a spare...

Plenty of add-ons out there. Or having one welded on and then painted to match the trailer is a better route IMHO.

starman205
08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
As stated, don't use an LT or P rated tire for a trailer tire. They are not designed for the stress a trailer tire receives. Stay with an ST rated tire (that isn't a Marathon) and you will be fine. There are lots of good tires out there and I am not aware of a bad ST tires other than the Marathon. I sell several brands of trailer tires and haven't had a trailer tire warranty in years.

Peter,
What brand do you have on your trailer? :)

Fred

thatsmrmastercraft
08-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Peter,
What brand do you have on your trailer? :)

Fred

I have Akuret on my tandem now. I had Gladiator tires set aside for it, but sold them before I had a chance to put them on.

Ron Grover
08-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Same experience with Marathons here too. Last trip our had separation on 4 year old Marathons. I'm not interested in any more Marathons. Had same problem with previous '81 Mastercraft.

Suggestions would be good.

Thrall
08-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Same experience with Marathons here too. Last trip our had separation on 4 year old Marathons. I'm not interested in any more Marathons. Had same problem with previous '81 Mastercraft.

Suggestions would be good.

If I had a nickel for every post like this (mine included) I could retire NOW! haha
I've had good luck with Commodore tires from Big O. 3yrs and lotsa miles on my X2 trailer, including a 1200mi trip at 80+mph with the boat loaded full of personal belongings (moving).

Probably the best, IMO, especially for 14" rims (tandem) trailers is the Kumho 857 tire. It's the only D rated 14" trailer (or truck) tire available. I put 2 of those Kumhos on my 3place enclosed single axle sled trailer several years ago and they have been flawless. Same 1200mi trip as the boat + I beat the crap out of that trailer on forest roads getting the sleds or hunting gear up the mountain.
My buddy just lost 3 Marathons on his last trip with his MC. (Can't say that Ididn't warn him like 2 years ago!).

SpryBeast
08-27-2012, 02:39 PM
After blowing 2 Marathons last year I went with Kumho for the D rating. Got mine through Discount Tire. Only one long trip on them (700 miles) but so far so good.

TheWoons
08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Marathon tires are the biggest pieces of crap trailer tires on the planet. When I had small wheels I blew them left and right. Now I use 18's and truck tires.

Rossterman
08-27-2012, 03:19 PM
I am going to go with Khumos as well as my marathons are on borrowed time.

What's interesting is that you can go to RV sites and hear the same thing people are experiencing here (Like RVforum.net). Although Marathons had a great reputation up until the early 2000's, many experience premature failure after those years. Another one that seems to get lots of complaints is Carlisle. I personaly had them on my 2004 travel trailer and luckily they delaminated on the tread and I caught it when parked so replaced all with another cheap chinese brand (since I was on the road and couldnt get Maxis). My neighbors 4 year carlisle old spare tire exploded just sitting on the spare mount and had never even touched the road!

Maxis seems to have a good reputation but the Khumos come in load range D so will be my next set!

east tx skier
08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I think you can get D Load range tires if you go up to a 15" rim. Depends what you have on your trailer. My Maxxis tires are D.

rspiecha
08-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Kumho are load rated D for size 14 only.

Click on Size and Technical Data Link (http://www.kumhotireusa.com/tire/category/truck-suv/7EAB87AD-62DC-4D82-897E-E59335DE416C)

I have the Kumho 857 on my trailer for the past 2-3 years. With boat ramp just across the street, I have maybe 3 miles on them :) But very happy with them.

bturner2
08-27-2012, 03:50 PM
I have a tandem trailer with 14" tires. Are the 205s the right size? and if not would it really matter if it wasn't exactly the right one?

ski/hunt
08-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Just 2 months ago I replaced my 2 tires on the trailer. I tried to get the kumho 857 and I was told by 3 different places that they no longer make trailer tires--14's or 15's....
Maybe there are some still out there but I couldn't find any around me.

rspiecha
08-27-2012, 04:43 PM
The 205/70-R14 Kumho's 857 are about the same diameter as Marathon 215/70-R14 tires, but are D rated, not C like the Marathons. The only size difference is they are slightly narrower. Check out the specs. I have the Kumho's on my Maristar 210VRS tandem trailer and look and function fine.

Rob

rspiecha
08-27-2012, 04:50 PM
www.tirerack.com has them.

Size: 205R14
Trailer Use Only
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 109/107Q
Load Range: D
UTQG: None
Price: $127.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Estimated Arrival: Get Estimate

sp00ky
08-27-2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.easternmarine.com/14-15-and-16-Trailer-Tire-Rim/

I had 2 blow outs this summer I am impressed with these guys above.

Sullivan
08-27-2012, 05:23 PM
I had a tire start to seperate on me on my 2012 on the way to a tournament. The trailer started vibrating real bad so I pulled over jacked it up and spun the tires. It was obvious what tire was bad, it was oblong. Cost me a $110 to have Les Schwab put a new tire on it late on Friday night.

beef
08-28-2012, 10:23 AM
http://www.easternmarine.com/14-15-and-16-Trailer-Tire-Rim/

I had 2 blow outs this summer I am impressed with these guys above.

Did you get the bias-ply tires in the link or did you get the radials? I'm using the radials from them and so far no problems after towing about 1k miles. Had problems previously with Marathons and had a Carlisle blow out on me that was less than a year old.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Heavier boats really benefit from radial trailer tires. Definitely worth the extra few bucks.

mondos829
08-28-2012, 11:31 AM
look on ebay under the username fastlanetires. they have great prices on various brands. I buy from them they are local in the pittsburgh pa region.

CCAnderson
08-28-2012, 03:20 PM
MrMastercraft - Why Radial over Bias?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-28-2012, 03:26 PM
MrMastercraft - Why Radial over Bias?

Smoother ride results in more even tread wear. Don't get the hopping and cupping that bias tires eventually get.

And ALWAYS balance your trailer tires. A small price to pay to get 10-15% more tread life and considerably decrease chances for a roadside tire change.

TxsRiverRat
08-28-2012, 03:27 PM
if your tires are ST and >5 years old, get new ones. it's that simple. i've made the mistake enough times to have learned.

2015, i am buying 3 new tires - needed or not.

SteveO
08-28-2012, 03:59 PM
While it is disappointing to hear that a 2012 trailer had troubles, I totally agree that REGARDLESS of how many miles you have on the tire it is an AGE game, not milage. I just replaced my 2007 tires before a 2500 mile WA to TN trip with Commodore from Big O, and so far so good. 4-5 years old tires and you are living on borrowed time........IMO

thatsmrmastercraft
08-28-2012, 04:04 PM
if your tires are ST and >5 years old, get new ones. it's that simple. i've made the mistake enough times to have learned.

2015, i am buying 3 new tires - needed or not.

While it is disappointing to hear that a 2012 trailer had troubles, I totally agree that REGARDLESS of how many miles you have on the tire it is an AGE game, not milage. I just replaced my 2007 tires before a 2500 mile WA to TN trip with Commodore from Big O, and so far so good. 4-5 years old tires and you are living on borrowed time........IMO

You guys are right on that after 5 years, let someone else have the tire problems. Craigslist is a great place to get rid of the old ones, plus no paying the disposal cost.

JohnE
08-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Plenty of miles on my Marathons with out issue. Mine are newer ('08) and on a single axle trailer. What was trailer in OP? I don't think I have heard of any issues with newer marathon's on sa trailers.

bturner2
08-29-2012, 08:50 AM
I've never had a problem with any of my Marathons and I've had them on the trailers of the last three boats over the past 10 years at least and probably longer. My current boat is an 07 so I'm planing to replace them for next season. I'm leaning towards the Kumos due to the D rating and all the stories I've read here and elsewhere about tire separation.

One would think this would be effecting sales and thus a concern or action from Goodyear. Do you think the complaints are too isolated and not worth the concern? Also if these tires are so bad MasterCraft and other trailer manufactures must be aware of this issue. One would think they would move to another vendor if this was the case.

onewheat
08-29-2012, 03:21 PM
I totally agree that REGARDLESS of how many miles you have on the tire it is an AGE game, not milage. I just replaced my 2007 tires before a 2500 mile WA to TN trip with Commodore from Big O, and so far so good. 4-5 years old tires and you are living on borrowed time........IMO

I COMPLETELY agree with this. We had a Carlisle tire on an enclosed trailer come apart on the way home from Bike Week this year right before an exit - we pulled off and the other tire on the same side was bulging under the tread like there was an egg under it. My buddy bought two tires and we made it home without incident. The tires had pretty low mileage on them but were about 4.5 years old. I borrowed the trailer from him a couple of weeks later and had a blowout on the other side of the trailer - one of the original Carlisle tires - needless to say, I bought new tires for that side of the trailer and the spare. I have had great luck with Marathons until they get to be a few years old - trailer stored indoors and not a substantial amount of miles on them. If I ever need to take a highway trip with my trailer again, I will definitely be buying 5 new tires for it.

east tx skier
08-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Borrowed time after 4 years was what got me looking to replace mine. At some point, they are going to go and that point will probably before the tread wears away.

Thrall
08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
The 2nd of 3 separated/blown Marathons on my buddy's 06 trailer this year happened to take place next to a Goodyear tire shop.
In the interst of getting on the road, took the blown tire there to replace. He would have bought a Marathon just to get back on the road with a spare.
Guess what? The Goodyear dealer did not sell Marathon trailer tires! Said not only do they cost more, but they're junk and they don't sell them!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2012, 12:46 PM
The 2nd of 3 separated/blown Marathons on my buddy's 06 trailer this year happened to take place next to a Goodyear tire shop.
In the interst of getting on the road, took the blown tire there to replace. He would have bought a Marathon just to get back on the road with a spare.
Guess what? The Goodyear dealer did not sell Marathon trailer tires! Said not only do they cost more, but they're junk and they don't sell them!

I know of more than a few Goodyear dealers that won't sell marathons.

CCAnderson
08-30-2012, 04:49 PM
I have to respect those dealers. I wonder how that conversation went with the Goodyear account manager

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Goodyear knows. They must figure Marathon's are profitable enough not to redesign and re-tool.