PDA

View Full Version : Boat Battery

jamica joe
08-27-2012, 09:09 AM
A guy I work with has had 2 batteries stolen from his boat this summer (fortunately not on our lake) .... Any ideas on how to secure his battery to at least "keep the honest folks honest".

mzimme
08-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Someone might make a battery box that lets you lock it shut with a padlock.

bturner2
08-27-2012, 09:31 AM
I don't think you can make anything theft proof. If someone wants something bad enough they'll take it. All you can do it make it a bit more difficult for them and hopefully they won't tear up your stuff and will just move on to something easier to take. In that spirit the battery trays I have installed should help but again this only helps if those stealing are not interested in tearing stuff up taking it.

My trays use allen screws to secure the base of the batteries. They're a bit of a pain to get out when you're not in a hurry or working in the dark so someone unfamiliar with the installation would have difficulty removing them. That's not to say a large crowbar wouldn't make quick work of the removal though. Just depends on how bad they want them and what they've brought with them to take them.

Traxx822
08-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Someone might make a battery box that lets you lock it shut with a padlock.

I bought my MC that way. The bat box has a loop on it to put a padlock through. But if they really wanted it they probably could still get it. Couple optima's gone is like $600ish so worth the little extra security

jamica joe
08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
I bought my MC that way. The bat box has a loop on it to put a padlock through. But if they really wanted it they probably could still get it. Couple optima's gone is like $600ish so worth the little extra security
Can you tell who the manufacturer for you battery box is??

JimN
08-27-2012, 10:21 AM
A guy I work with has had 2 batteries stolen from his boat this summer (fortunately not on our lake) .... Any ideas on how to secure his battery to at least "keep the honest folks honest".

Call the scrapyards in the area and a few outside of the area- that's where the batteries went, or will go. These aren't stolen so someone can use them, unless they're selling to friends or at a bar.

Or, you could call the local police and set up a sting- put a notice that you're looking for boat batteries on the bulletin board at a few bars and see who calls. Set up the meeting with the PD there. Craig's List might work for this, too.

When they show up, you could beat them with the batteries, too.

Traxx822
08-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Can you tell who the manufacturer for you battery box is??

I just called the marina since my boat is in the shop getting the rub rail replaced. He said it looks like someone drilled it out of the lip. The best he could come up with is it says real big on the top "safebox" and it also has a strap around it to hold the lid on even though it snaps in.

jamica joe
08-27-2012, 02:12 PM
I just called the marina since my boat is in the shop getting the rub rail replaced. He said it looks like someone drilled it out of the lip. The best he could come up with is it says real big on the top "safebox" and it also has a strap around it to hold the lid on even though it snaps in.
Thanks for the info... I'll try to find some additional info. Anyone ever hear of this outfit?

jamica joe
08-27-2012, 02:32 PM
A buddy just sent this link:

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/SE-BATTERYLOK.htm

Opinions???

mzimme
08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
A buddy just sent this link:

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/SE-BATTERYLOK.htm

Opinions???

Looks good as long as you have the clearance for the box. You might also consider anchoring down the battery box somehow so someone cant just take the whole thing and cut the battery out later.

Traxx822
08-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Looks good as long as you have the clearance for the box. You might also consider anchoring down the battery box somehow so someone cant just take the whole thing and cut the battery out later.

I thought the same thing. I'd just grab the whole box. Still need to anchor it.