PDA

View Full Version : plans to bring back x1??

kalamalka
08-26-2012, 08:36 PM
When i was at the dealer the other day in shock after seeing the new x series pricing, the sales Manager said something interesting. Apparently they have had lots of interest or requests to buy new x1's even though the model was discountinued for thr year. i wonder if other dealers have had this? Would mc consider bringing back arguably the most proven wake hull ever and an affordable new price?

JohnE
08-26-2012, 09:08 PM
When i was at the dealer the other day in shock after seeing the new x series pricing, the sales Manager said something interesting. Apparently they have had lots of interest or requests to buy new x1's even though the model was discountinued for thr year. i wonder if other dealers have had this? Would mc consider bringing back arguably the most proven wake hull ever and an affordable new price?

Won't happen. In part bc Ilmor doesn't fit in it from what I've heard. But regardless, they won't bring it back. New X10 should do everything at least as well as old X1. Probably a lot better on all counts. (Except otd price)

kalamalka
08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Dealer was telling me that there is huge pressure from europe dealers to bring it back. i guess the new ceo is listening to the dealers more than mc ever has.

Redstorm
08-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I have an 01' 205v black and white, and when I was at the ramp today whipping her down a newer X-1 was droppin in. All red with nice graphics. Nice lookin boat! Could be optical illusion but the X-1 seemed to have a slightly deeper hull then my 205v. Was there any change?

I hope MC brings this very popular boat back! This boat seems to be very highly ranked and all I hear is good!

swatguy
08-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Identical. Nothing changed. The look probably had to do with the tower. Unlike you 205v which I am assuming has a tower the newer towers are mounted completely on the topside. Adds to the deeper look.

kalamalka
08-27-2012, 12:12 AM
I have an 06 and ive ridin and surfed almost every mc x series. I love the x1 and it sounds like the dealers do as well. Id buy a new one, hope they bring it back.

snork
08-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Nope, not gonna happen, not in a million years, like I said in another post, look for something very similar over sea or way south in 6 to 8 years but not from MC

erkoehler
08-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Not nearly a high enough demand to justify bringing the boat back.

Plus its dated and other manufacturers have stepped up their game causing MC to do the same.

swatguy
08-27-2012, 01:01 AM
If we are talking cars I would say the x1 is a 2 seater Vette where everything else these days is a suburban on the water for wakeboats. If u stick an X1 next to an x2, bu vtx, or Nauti 200v it still seems small.

My personal thought....
It was such an old mold that made mc so much $$ that they should have kept it as close to an entry boat price as possible. However every year it would jump even more than the next with no other construction but add ons as the hull and topseck were identical from 2001 till 2011. However i see it from the profit side as well. With so many models and molds the profit would be next to nothing with an X 1 hull being entry priced. It would take up a huge chunk in their production line because they would still sell like hotcakes, but they would lose a huge chunk of change taking up that spot in the line vs A Star, 25, 30. So business wise it was f the little guys and build for the pocketbooks. They would make more off one extra star, 30 25, 55,35 than 5-6 x1's.

Can u fault them for going for profit???? No, but it still sucks huge elephant ;($$:D

Redstorm
08-27-2012, 01:46 AM
What I'm gathering from all this is the 205v, original x, x2 and x1 boat is one of the most popular and sought out boats. Our dealer here said these boats used in his store do not last long and they get full asking price if not ridiculousily overpriced. There is a lot of hype on this boat and I think MC is questioning themselves as well. Just my :twocents:

Tristar Racing
08-27-2012, 11:06 AM
I just bought a left over 2011 X1, and I agree it is a great boat. Here is the thing though, it sat at the dealer for a year and a half! I think part of it was advertising, but the dealer thinks it has to do with the new era MC buyer. When they come in, they want top of the line and want the price tag to prove it. The entry level MC is of no interest.

Similarly, when a value oriented buyer comes in and looks at a Moomba, they see a boat with a bit more room and options for a slightly lower price, and that becomes an easy decision for them to not get the MC.

In my eyes, the X1 was in no mans land as far as the current boat buying public. Perhaps marketing and pricing adjustments (down) would have helped, but again whats the point when MC can just use that production slot to build a boat that has more markup in it?

Thrall
08-27-2012, 12:49 PM
I just bought a left over 2011 X1, and I agree it is a great boat. Here is the thing though, it sat at the dealer for a year and a half! I think part of it was advertising, but the dealer thinks it has to do with the new era MC buyer. When they come in, they want top of the line and want the price tag to prove it. The entry level MC is of no interest.

Similarly, when a value oriented buyer comes in and looks at a Moomba, they see a boat with a bit more room and options for a slightly lower price, and that becomes an easy decision for them to not get the MC.

In my eyes, the X1 was in no mans land as far as the current boat buying public. Perhaps marketing and pricing adjustments (down) would have helped, but again whats the point when MC can just use that production slot to build a boat that has more markup in it?

I think you're right on the money. Yeah they're popular, but people looking for "entry level" wake boats I'm guessing, are not sold on having to buy one of the big 3.
Sure we know what that hull can do and most of us here have drank the MC koolaid.
( I have, ever since I was a kid and saw those old straight piped S&S's and 1st gen 190's pulling the Tommy Bartlett shows, I was hooked on having a MC one day. Period, end of story.)
However you can buy alot of boat for $40-50k (what an enrty X1 would price out at approx).
Heck, when I was looking to upgrade from my PS 190, I was looking at 205V/X1 hulls and then the new style X2 and X15's, all used. Sure a deal on an older X2/205V would have fit the bill for under $25k, but if I was going to step up to the X1 prices of $35-40k used, why would I put myself in a cramped cabin X1 when for a few thousand bucks more I could have a picklefork X2?
MC can't drop the X1 price enough to compete with the entry Moombas or Sangers or others, so they're competing with their 20' narrow beam, low freeboard boat against the Axis and MB's, and honestly, you get alot more boat with the other 2 than with an X1 for the same $.

kalamalka
08-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Is the x 10 in this years lineup? i cant find it. Does it kind of replace the x1 in shape and size, wake ect.

cdh11
08-27-2012, 10:51 PM
I believe the X10 is replacing the X15, so I would imagine it would more similar to the X15, but from what they are saying it has a bigger/better wake than the X-15 and some say even better than the X-30. Just what I heard, I am excited to see it

BriEOD
08-28-2012, 01:11 AM
What I'm gathering from all this is the 205v, original x, x2 and x1 boat is one of the most popular and sought out boats.

The hull is the best-selling MC hull of all time, and, while I can cite this statement, the best-selling inboard industry hull of all time. Don't forget, this hull was used, and slightly modified through the years, as the platform for all of the DD PS 205s dating back to 1992. In 1999 MC started making a v-drive version of the boat, discontinued the DD version after 2000, and used some variant of the hull up until last year. 20 years out of a hull as a platform for some cutting-edge (at the time) models such as the X-Star DD and first X-Star v-drive.

bturner2
08-28-2012, 08:49 AM
I had a 95 Maristar and went to a 2003 X2. Wife had a cow about it. The boat was noticeably smaller with less storage space and less free board. The wife wanted it gone and the old boat back within a few trips out.

While I did like the wake on the 03 X2 the old Maristar handled better, had tons more space (storage and interior) and the surf wake was better. The good part of the story is that it was to easy to sell the wife on a move up to the 07 - X2 the following spring. She sat in one at the boat show and I was immediately charged with finding one for the next season. As stated demand for that boat is high and I was able to move it and make a $4K profit on it after owning it for 9 months.

Unfortunately for us this boat was not a good fit after being used to a bigger more family oriented model like the 200 Maristar. Other missing features like plentiful cup holders, a integrated cooler and tower mounted Bimini sealed it's fate for us. It was a great design but without a total refresh to the interior the boat just couldn't compete with all the newer models.

JohnE
08-28-2012, 07:42 PM
X10 probably does everything better than the X1 and the X15. Interestingly the X1 and X15 were both good at the same things....pretty much everything. X10 is probably better than both. This is based on what I've heard. Wish I had first hand experience.

east tx skier
08-29-2012, 12:33 PM
The hull is the best-selling MC hull of all time, and, while I can cite this statement, the best-selling inboard industry hull of all time. Don't forget, this hull was used, and slightly modified through the years, as the platform for all of the DD PS 205s dating back to 1992. In 1999 MC started making a v-drive version of the boat, discontinued the DD version after 2000, and used some variant of the hull up until last year. 20 years out of a hull as a platform for some cutting-edge (at the time) models such as the X-Star DD and first X-Star v-drive.

I'd say that it goes back to 1996. 95 to 96 was a new hull rather than a modification based on what I can tell. Still a best seller for sure unless they keep churning out the 197 hull a few more years. :)