PDA

View Full Version : PS 190 can it be saved

jonnyski2
08-26-2012, 07:22 PM
I need some help teamtalk members. I posted pictures and a video of my 2001 PS 190 getting crashed into by a drunk boater. Update , Progressive denied my claim . Now I have to try to fix my boat on my own dime . I think it can be fixed but I need to find a good fiberglass guy . I also may consider selling the boat .Check out these pictures and let me know what you think. John

jonnyski2
08-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Havimg ttouble posting pictures sorry .

JohnE
08-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Wow, why would they deny the claim?! BoatUS and SkiSafe seem to have good track records.

Cloaked
08-26-2012, 07:37 PM
If you have a legitimate claim and are within their terms of agreement type contract / policy, I'd pitch a fit over some schmuck's opinion that resulted in something like this. That is precisely why you pay them, to assume your risks.

I don't trust Flo from the get-go on their mass marketing television commercials.

SkiSafe insurance for me for many years.

Best of luck.

CantRepeat
08-26-2012, 07:38 PM
I need some help teamtalk members. I posted pictures and a video of my 2001 PS 190 getting crashed into by a drunk boater. Update , Progressive denied my claim . Now I have to try to fix my boat on my own dime . I think it can be fixed but I need to find a good fiberglass guy . I also may consider selling the boat .Check out these pictures and let me know what you think. John

What?

Please tell everyone one here why on earth the denied you claim!!! I saw the video(of what I think is your boat) of what I thought was some Dbag driving head long into our parked boat! On what grounds could they even think it was not a good claim?

I know you are trying to fix your boat but really, for the love of the community, what are they saying is not a legit claim?

I'm so gonna send an email to them with this link about your boat if this pans out.

jonnyski2
08-26-2012, 07:56 PM
I only owned the boat for four days before it got hit. I assumed I was covered because I was still paying a premium for boat insurance . I thought I had 30 days to call and give them the new vin# I was wrong !

JohnE
08-26-2012, 08:01 PM
ouch!!!!!!!

bzettler83
08-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Wow.. I can even believe they would deny the claim. Really sorry to hear that... Any luck tracking down the morons who did it?

jonnyski2
08-26-2012, 08:18 PM
The morons go to court the first week of Sept.for the criminal charges . I am going to be in the courtroom with my attorney to serve them with the papers for the civil case against them. Over 30,000 in property damage !!!

xtnkshun
08-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Did Progressive give a reason for the denial?

Cloaked
08-26-2012, 08:24 PM
I only owned the boat for four days before it got hit. I assumed I was covered because I was still paying a premium for boat insurance . I thought I had 30 days to call and give them the new vin# I was wrong !
So in fact, you were not covered with Progressive....a hard lesson and I wish you good luck in court...

Another testimony of drunken results of boating and alcohol...nothing I'd be proud to say I participated....

jonnyski2
08-26-2012, 08:30 PM
I was a Diamond member with Progressive . I had a policy with them on 2 other boats and never had a claim .I was with them for almost 10 years .I would not recomend Progressive to anyone ever and cant stand that B.... FLO !I I think there waisting all there money on stupid adds not legitmate claims by loyal customers.

mikeg205
08-26-2012, 08:31 PM

What kind of coverage did you have before? was the boat covered before similar in value?

jonnyski2
08-26-2012, 09:34 PM
I had sold my 93 PS205 in FEB. I called progressive to cancel my policy . They told me if I cancel I would lose all the benefits I'd accumulated over the years and I was a Diamond Member ,Great Costumer. I questioned the guy. Why do I need boat insurance when I dont even own a boat ? He said if I planned on buying a new boat I would retain my diamond status. I took his advice so I kept paying the premium which would cover my new boat. They were very misleading. I thought I was covered because I was paying a premium for boat insurance. They collected at least 3 months of my premium payments for insurance on a boat I didn't own yet . If I didn't let them talk me in to keeping my policy in place I would have known I had no isurance when I got my new boat. What the rep didn't explain to me was that he dropped collision and copmrehensive and kept the liability coverage. My attorney explained that they should have done the opposite which is similar to a "lay up" policy on a seasonal vehicle. They suck and they should have covered my loss due to their inadequacy and irresponsibilty to explain their actions.

xtnkshun
08-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Man...that is terrible. I wish you the best.

nkorep2
08-26-2012, 09:41 PM
I feel like you just have to talk to the right person at progressive, and they should take care of it. Good luck in court!

jonnyski2
08-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Here are a few pics of my crashed boat. I've heard from a few people that it may actually be able to be repaired. It still runs but needs a lot of fiberglass work. The boat only has 190 hours. Let me know what you think!

petermegan
08-26-2012, 09:53 PM
If the insurance guy genuinely mislead you then I would expect a firm but rational talk with your insurance company may rectify your issue with them. If not maybe your solicitor would say that you need to pursue it with them in court. As a customer you can only be expected to understand their policy so far. If a reasonable person would understand it in the way you did you may have some recourse on them. Hey not a lawyer though. Good luck. On a sidenote, Do mastercraft entertain the idea of selling a bare hull for all your running gear,upholstery etc.to be put in. Would be a good alternative to fibreglass repair. I can understand if they don't.

jonnyski2
08-26-2012, 10:00 PM
I always carried full coverage and the other boat was of similar value.

phickman
08-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Progressive is a joke of a company. I was rear ended by a young lady sending a text message. I was sitting still. She was doing about 35mph. She was insured by Progressive. We had some extensive medical bill plus the hassle of getting my car fixed. They treated my wife and I like criminals. They did not want to fix my car 100% and they tried to negotiate and not pay 100% of our medical bills. The adjusters for the car side and the goon that would harass us every few days about settling was horrible. I have no respect for the company or the company culture. It does not surprise me that they would not work with you in any way with this situation. Sad. Cheap *** insurance from a bullsh!t company. My heart goes out to you my fellow skier.

jonnyski2
08-26-2012, 10:09 PM
What?

Please tell everyone one here why on earth the denied you claim!!! I saw the video(of what I think is your boat) of what I thought was some Dbag driving head long into our parked boat! On what grounds could they even think it was not a good claim?

I know you are trying to fix your boat but really, for the love of the community, what are they saying is not a legit claim?

I'm so gonna send an email to them with this link about your boat if this pans out.

Progressive removed my collision and comp coverage without my knowledge. I was paying my premiums for what I thought was full coverage. When I called to report the claim they said I didn't have coverage for that type of claim. WTH?????

phickman
08-26-2012, 10:12 PM
On a positive note...the boat held up well. A testament to the build quality of our beloved boats. I bet Mr. Ron Tanis could make it right. http://www.rontanis.com/amskier.htm

Miss Rita
08-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Your boat CAN be fixed. I had some damage to my other boat a while ago, left a hole in the side of the boat five feet long. The fiberglass shop took a new partial hull molding, grafted it in place, ended up re-gelcoating the entire side of the boat so that the colors matched. Eighteen years later it's held up perfectly.

PM me if you have any questions that I could help you with.

ahhudgins
08-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Progressive removed my collision and comp coverage without my knowledge. I was paying my premiums for what I thought was full coverage. When I called to report the claim they said I didn't have coverage for that type of claim. WTH?????

I'm going to ask my wife about this. She has been in insurance over 25 years and she is getting out of the business because of stuff like this. I do know that they can't charge you comp and collision because you didn't have property (a boat) to insure. If they deleted you comp and collision you should have been notified and your premiums would have dropped a large amount. Sounds fishy to me.

I do remember your original post but it has been a while. Why isn't the other party's insurance covering this??? Uninsured??

snork
08-26-2012, 11:24 PM
yep. very fishy. did you talk to anyone about binding your new boat?

erkoehler
08-26-2012, 11:28 PM
If your selling it I may be interested, send me an email at eric@Lauderdalelakesmarina.com

mikeg205
08-27-2012, 07:28 AM

As another poster stated - your premium should have dropped and you should have received a notification that your coverage has changed. I feel for you... you have been duped... as you say you wanted to maintain your status at Progressive. Unfortunately, boat insurance is not compulsory and the people who hit your people who hit your boat are liable for the property damage.

Hopefully your attorney and law suit will help you collect monies to replace your boat. The jerks may not have the assets to fulfill their hopefully future obligation. I also hope that they don't get a diversion...however the level of property damage may prevent that, as well as the driver of the boat endangered his passenger. Not an attorney but was reading the statute and penalty.

You have a large amount of property damage and I hope justice is served criminally and in your civilly.

Traxx822
08-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Thats the most bogus thing ever. I would have my attorney all over their ***. Second, maybe a PI to get an idea of the defendants assets.

ahhudgins
08-27-2012, 11:20 AM

What state are you in?

PA Prostar
08-27-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm not in insurance, but I do know if you purchase a car, you used to have a period of time where the car is insured inherently prior to you getting information to the insurance company. I'm not sure if it's the same with boats and different states, but I'd imagine so. You logistically and reasonably can not get them the VIN# etc the instant you purchase the boat/vehicle. Unfortunatly, it may only be a three day period and I see you had the boat for four days. Also, it's a little unusual you had a "scaled down" policy in place. Again, similiar with cars, if you financed it, I'd imagine the other coverage would have been mandated. So again, if you're in the notification period, the coverage should have been in effect. I see you have a lawyer and hopefully smarter people on this than I am, but I guess I say all that to conclude I HATE ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES.

gid
08-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Did the drunk have boat insurance?

Thrall
08-27-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm guessing the drunk didn't have insurance, since per the orig post, they fled the scene AND the OP is saying HIS company won't insure AND he's filing suit for property damage.

I think 72hrs is the limit for getting insurance, pretty universally, at elast as far as traffic enforcement is concerned.
If you did not think far ahead enough to get your boat insured, then how can you expect them to cover it? SUre it was "only 4 days" since you had bought it. If someone hadn't slammed into it, would youhave still called them on day 5, or maybe it would have slipped your mind for 5 weeks, or 5 months until the policy came due again. Ins co doesn't know.
Besides, the new boat is not of similar value as a '93 205, unless you had the 93 jacked way up on stated value.
Sucks that this happened and it will be even better if you can make it stick to have the f...wads that hit the boat pay up with their every last dime. I wish you the best with pursuing the other party, but think Progresive has a good leg to stand on if they didn't know you owned a new boat.

FWIW, I have Progressive for my cars and boat for the last 10yrs or so and they've been on the spot with the couple minor claims. Thankfully never had a major claim in that period, but I've seen State Farm and Allstate pull the same shady stuff, even worse, outright fraud, and I would never consider using either of those companies. Oh yeah, Auto Owners and Chicago Motor Club can go suck it too!
Point is, they're all crooks and all out to make money, just like we are at our jobs, but alot of us don't ahve to make our living on fine print and technicalities. It really boils down to your personal experience with the insurance companies.

rjracin240
08-27-2012, 12:23 PM
I had sold my 93 PS205 in FEB. I called progressive to cancel my policy . They told me if I cancel I would lose all the benefits I'd accumulated over the years and I was a Diamond Member ,Great Costumer. I questioned the guy. Why do I need boat insurance when I dont even own a boat ? He said if I planned on buying a new boat I would retain my diamond status. I took his advice so I kept paying the premium which would cover my new boat. They were very misleading. I thought I was covered because I was paying a premium for boat insurance. They collected at least 3 months of my premium payments for insurance on a boat I didn't own yet . If I didn't let them talk me in to keeping my policy in place I would have known I had no isurance when I got my new boat. What the rep didn't explain to me was that he dropped collision and copmrehensive and kept the liability coverage. My attorney explained that they should have done the opposite which is similar to a "lay up" policy on a seasonal vehicle. They suck and they should have covered my loss due to their inadequacy and irresponsibilty to explain their actions.

Plenty of the Ambulance Chaser's here advertising for Insurance Agent Mal-Practice describing similiar events to what you are saying, might be worth looking into.

Sodar
08-27-2012, 01:20 PM
I am sorry for what happened, but am I the only one who sees that you (the owner) wasresponsible for confirming the policy on the new boat was in fact in place upon taking delivery of the boat? I mean, the circumstances surrounding the policy is bizarre and you were giving misleading information, but when you bought the new boat, a simple phone call to the insurance company and a request of them emailing your new policy to you would have solved this whole nightmare.

Like I said, the whole thing sucks, but still... I had to point the obvious out!

Now to respond to your original question of whether or not the damage is repairable, it definitely is. My buddy's uncle bought a Supra that was taken out by a jet ski and he repaired it. The side looked very similar to your boat. Just look for a GOOD fiberglass/gel coat shop. If you do not have one local, ship it somewhere. The money you spend to get it into a good shop will make the whole process easier and you will be money ahead in the long run! Good Luck!

jonnyski2
08-27-2012, 09:23 PM
What state are you in?

Indiana

jonnyski2
08-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Did the drunk have boat insurance?

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LittleFuss
04-16-2013, 02:00 PM
that's odd. when I called to get coverage for the boat I purchased last month Progressive said I was covered for 5 days without notification of change in policy or the boat I was covering. I also did not trust them and prefer to CYA so I updated the policy and got written confirmation before I left town.

reconsidering my coverage now...