PDA

View Full Version : Sputter and no start

02ProstarSammyD
08-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Ok guys of course I have probs the week before labor day and shops are slammed.

When cranking just won't start. It will start to but sputters out and sends a nice poof of smoke out the intake.

Got it started 1x by giving it all throttle but no luck sense

Batteries are new
Starter is new
13.2v at starter

I did however make a cardinal sin.

I replaced the ignition switch last week and didn't see if the boat was running well before I pulled it. Swear I put wires exactly back as before but could this cause these issues?

Thanks for any help guys

02ProstarSammyD
08-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Btw boat is 02 209 with merc 350 mag ski

erkoehler
08-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I'd put a fuel pressure gauge on it, quick and easy and eliminates a very common problem with MasterCrafts! (They have the worst fuel pumps!)

JimN
08-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Ok guys of course I have probs the week before labor day and shops are slammed.

When cranking just won't start. It will start to but sputters out and sends a nice poof of smoke out the intake.

Got it started 1x by giving it all throttle but no luck sense

Batteries are new
Starter is new
13.2v at starter

I did however make a cardinal sin.

I replaced the ignition switch last week and didn't see if the boat was running well before I pulled it. Swear I put wires exactly back as before but could this cause these issues?

Thanks for any help guys

Get the wiring code for the switch and check it against the way you wired it. Also, turn the key to ON and measure DC voltage at the coil. There's a "bypass" wire at the IC module (distributor and Northstar Ignition have one) that sends voltage to the IC module so it causes spark while cranking, then the ignition wire sends voltage to the IC module once the key is turned to the RUN position.

Why did you change the switch, anyway?

If it ran before, I suspect that you may have wired the ignition

02ProstarSammyD
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Broke key off in the ignition. It ran before the switch change but it had sat for 2 weeks in storage. My fault for not starting it before the ignition switch change. I know better but o well. No control now. The wiring is the same for the switch just hoping I didn't switch something up No wires labeled of course

02ProstarSammyD
08-26-2012, 04:57 PM
14.56 at coil. Also I don't have the same fuel pump setup. Mine is external Of the tank. Merc has a hp and lp pump.

JimN
08-26-2012, 06:08 PM
14.56 at coil. Also I don't have the same fuel pump setup. Mine is external Of the tank. Merc has a hp and lp pump.

Did you move one wire at a time?

Why does it have a Mercruiser?

02ProstarSammyD
08-26-2012, 06:14 PM
No clue. Was a reposed years ago. Yea did one post at a time. Someing is seriously up though. I tried to start it a few times last week and starter went to crap. Had it rebuilt and it just went again! Omg I'm gonna freak out! 3 hr job and it's gone again after 8 attempts!

JimN
08-26-2012, 06:19 PM
No clue. Was a reposed years ago. Yea did one post at a time. Someing is seriously up though. I tried to start it a few times last week and starter went to crap. Had it rebuilt and it just went again! Omg I'm gonna freak out! 3 hr job and it's gone again after 8 attempts!

What's the part number of the switch? There's nothing to mark what each position does?

02ProstarSammyD
08-26-2012, 06:50 PM
No the positions are marked on the old and new. Took them straight from post to post. Don't know how it could have been wired wrong but I did it at 4am so I could still get some glass in. I would think if I have correct voltage at the coil and starter and it attempts to turn over it should be fine. One odd thing though is that it really wouldn't want to start until after you released the key from start position. Then it would act like it had spark. My question was more related to the color coding of wires per position

JimN
08-26-2012, 11:23 PM
No the positions are marked on the old and new. Took them straight from post to post. Don't know how it could have been wired wrong but I did it at 4am so I could still get some glass in. I would think if I have correct voltage at the coil and starter and it attempts to turn over it should be fine. One odd thing though is that it really wouldn't want to start until after you released the key from start position. Then it would act like it had spark. My question was more related to the color coding of wires per position

Is your lanyard on the safety switch? That being off would do exactly what you described.