PDA

View Full Version : would you trade?????????????

Oneday
08-25-2012, 08:44 PM
im looking at trading my 1985 stars and stripes. for a 1992 ski brendella open bow. can any one tell me any think about the brendella. im wanting to get an open bow. the 2 boats are in the same shape and all that. im worried about the stringers. (wood or not). or anything else anyone knows. thanks.

Cloaked
08-25-2012, 10:02 PM
im looking at trading my 1985 stars and stripes. for a 1992 ski brendella open bow. can any one tell me any think about the brendella. im wanting to get an open bow. the 2 boats are in the same shape and all that. im worried about the stringers. (wood or not). or anything else anyone knows. thanks.
What in goodness's name do you mean by "and all that?" And "wood or not" stringers?

There is everything you could possibly need to know about your 85 right here on this forum. I'd trade it off if I were that worried about the 85's service...

No spoonfeeding....8p

Oneday
08-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Its my 85 and it runs great. I was just trying to see if any one know anything about the 92.

madcityskier
08-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Brendella is squarely a third tier boat. Most of the second tier got rid of wood stringers around 93-95. You'd be looking at cheaper components, likely wood, and from what I've been told a company that was buying a lot of old molds from other companies when they were taking them out of use. That info could be wrong, but the boats I've seen from them look like old boats from other manufacturers, so I tend to believe.

itch2ski
08-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Brendella is squarely a third tier boat. Most of the second tier got rid of wood stringers around 93-95. You'd be looking at cheaper components, likely wood, and from what I've been told a company that was buying a lot of old molds from other companies when they were taking them out of use. That info could be wrong, but the boats I've seen from them look like old boats from other manufacturers, so I tend to believe.

Please explain boat tiers and what manufacturers fall where.

Wired_Right
08-26-2012, 03:45 AM

My friend bought a 93 Ski Brendella at the beginning of this season (2012) He has only taken it out 4 times. (maybe 6 hours)
I told him not to buy it. Well now he is stuck.
I told him if, I go 2 weeks between uses on the lake and I'm garaging it. I pull my seats cushions and and back seat. (to let my boat air out/dry)

Well this is when his misery came. He pulled the rear seat. - Fell apart (dry rot). Rear floor under seat (dry rot) Pulled floor. Guess what? .???????

He is so mad. I add insult to injury, when I keep inviting him out on my 85 S&S.
I know what I'm doing this labor day weekend. Using my boat!!!!

I personally would not trade. Keep it or sell it out right. You can buy a open bow Mastercraft. There are so many inexpensive older option mastercrafts with open bows.

But remember, Do whatcha like!

Jason.H.
08-26-2012, 11:00 AM
I have a 1990 tristar 190 open bow and its been a great boat. I picked it up pretty cheap too.

Ski-me
08-27-2012, 12:56 PM
I'd go the route of selling the S&S outright and then go and buy a MC 205. Great boat for sure. 92-95 are great years and 94 & 95 have fuel injection. I would push you towards a better quality boat vs. something that is "easy" to make a deal. Work a little harder and I think overall, you will be happier with a nicer boat.

No wood stringers in this era of 205 either so you're good.

etduc
08-27-2012, 03:39 PM
I'd go the route of selling the S&S outright and then go and buy a MC 205. Great boat for sure. 92-95 are great years and 94 & 95 have fuel injection. I would push you towards a better quality boat vs. something that is "easy" to make a deal. Work a little harder and I think overall, you will be happier with a nicer boat.

No wood stringers in this era of 205 either so you're good.

Word!

Your '85 MC is a much higher build quality, than a '93 Brendella.

Early '90s MC 205 has a huge bang, for the buck.

madcityskier
08-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Please explain boat tiers and what manufacturers fall where.

Well, we haven't started a fight here lately, so why not. Please keep in mind that to some degree the tiers would be relative to innovation, not just build quality. Also, that the tiers beyiond the first would be subjective and based upon your experiences and those of people you know with regards to a particular brand of boat. Finally, as is often said, if it's not a competition boat, it's second best. Very few i/o's would make a boat that could make it into the second tier in my experience.
Now let's get it started

Fist Tier: Not much discussion here. Known throughout the industry as the big three MasterCraft, CorrectCraft, Malibu

Second Tier: open to discussion and based on my experiences. Supra, Centurion, MB, Tige

Third Tier: Moomba, Epic, Supreme, Gekko, Brendella, American Skier, Infinity

I don't know enough to place Axis, Calabria, Svfara, Aztec, Sanger

The strongest cases I could make would be to move Moomba or Infinity up. I would leave Infinity due to a lack of longevity and the likely problems re: finding parts. Moomba based on experiences with their earlier boats and the fact that they are the step-down from Supra which is already a second tier boat.

This is all my opinion, your experiences will likely vary.

Wired_Right
08-28-2012, 02:12 AM
I don't know enough to place Axis, Calabria, Svfara, Aztec, Sanger

Poor. :( SANGER. I had a flat bottom.

I think with a Sanger it all depends on what year you bought. They were innovative, but that went away quick. I guess everyone in the factory quit Coke at the same time. I think Sanger's had some 1,2, & 3 ranked boats, but they have had some garbage years.

east tx skier
08-28-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd go ahead and pop Centurian into the top tier of ski boats at the moment. The Carbon Pro is getting great reviews. My hat's off to them for making a single purpose closed bow ski boat.

The early 90s was a great time for water skiing. There were lots of boat manufacturers putting out good products that skied pretty well for the time. The early 90s MC Pro Stars were really fantastic purpose built boats and have held up better over time than a lot of the competition. There are exceptions to this rule, but you really need to go out and ski the boat you are considering and go through it with a fine toothed comb before getting out of your 85. And that is true for any 20 year old boat. I have a friend who is a former CC promo driver and swears by his mid 90s Brendella that still runs like a top. My wife's uncle has an open bow Ski Ray that was AWSA approved in 93 and still manages to pull some happy skiers through the course. All of the engines are Chevies or Fords and parts are not terribly scarce.

Sure, some of these boats are better than others generally. But, then again, I have seen some pretty ragged out MCs from that era over which I would probably chose my friend's Brendella if I had to choose. In other words, as alwyas, maintenance is key. And you will pay a good bit more for a pristine early 90s Pro Star. But some of the brands from that era that no longer exist were not generally bad boats. The market for these boats is very narrow and some brands either folded, were absorbed into other brands, or just stopped making competition direct drives.

JohnE
08-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Good insight, ETS. Anytime you start talking about a boat that is over 10 years old (IMO) condition is worth as much or more than make and model. When I sell my 214, I will look for an older ski boat. Ideally a 94 205. But price and condition will be the deciding factor.

madcityskier
08-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Not so concerned with engine parts as the rest of the driveline. I assume the mid engine v drive combo will lead to parts that aren't widely used. Maybe it's the same v drive and prop shaft as an Star for all I know. I also felt that only being there for a few years and being out if business now would make the manufacturer not top tier, and possibly push them into the third in spite of an innovative and well made boat. Haven't had a chance to see the new Centurion yet, but I have heard good things, unlike the experiences I had with two of their earlier models. As I said, much of this is open to debate.

lettmeknow
08-29-2012, 01:05 PM
I had a 1990 Brendella Spectrum which was there open bow. Its a great boat, BUT there is alot of wood. I was young and did not take care of mine so I had alot of rot problems down the line. The entire bow seating area, entire floor and drivers seat had to be replaced. Howver if I had properly cared for it , it would have been fine. Other than that never any problems. I put over 2000 hours on it and it kept on tickin. I would go thru it with a fine tooth comb. The first brendellas were indeed an 85 MC bottom , the spectrum was its own hull.

east tx skier
08-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Yeah, wood is a big expense to replace if that need arises. Personally, I would steer away from it due to my total lack of interest in replacing floors, stringers, seat bottoms, etc.

For people with more patience and aptitude than I have, buying a boat with lots of wooden structures in it may be okay.

Panda Cub
08-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Don't buy it! Stick with an mc or cc

onejdgreen
08-29-2012, 06:56 PM
IMO, its like trading a Corvette for a Chevette...

zsqure
08-29-2012, 09:29 PM
IMO, its like trading a Corvette for a Chevette...

Couldn't have put it better. You are giving a corvette for an amx. Come on.

Wired_Right
08-30-2012, 02:21 AM
Couldn't have put it better. You are giving a corvette for an amx. Come on.

It's like trading a Ferrari for a Fiero.

O2BESOHUGE
08-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Man You Are Going Down In Quality Even With A Newer Model Boat...id Pass If It Were Me!

Id Use Your Boat To Trade Up To A Newer Mastercraft If Anything!

you could of had a MC
09-05-2012, 01:48 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=4514

The only upgrade from a Master Craft is cleaner better maintained Master Craft... I would hate for you to have to hear "you could of had a Master Craft"

MC209
09-05-2012, 08:23 PM
nothing runs or just as important, holds their value like a Craft! keep a mastercraft!