PDA

View Full Version : what do you pay for oil changes?

Ric
09-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Just had my dealer do an oil change at 20hrs..
I've always changed my own oil in inboards but decided to let them do an oil change while they had the boat to put on some parts they promised me.
not a full maintenance service, just an oil change and filter and check the transmission oil.
What would you pay?

ski_king
09-01-2005, 08:15 PM
$25.00 tops, better yet, do it myself for around $10.00.

hmmm, I wonder what the price of oil is now at Wal-Mart with the price of gas going out of site?

east tx skier
09-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Ric, what did you pay? My brother in law got one done at his local MC dealer in Austin. You wouldn't believe what the oil change ran him. You further wouldn't belive what they charged him to swap the impeller. Made him a DIY guy for life. I don't know if they charged him for the lubricant and the R.O.

peason
09-01-2005, 10:58 PM
I do it my self. But, I figure a shop would cost a minimum of $50.00 most likely more.

Farmer Ted
09-01-2005, 11:18 PM
I bet he paid nothing less than $175

I just bought 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and a filter for $35 and plan on changing it first thing in the morning.

Ric
09-02-2005, 11:26 AM
howz $123 grab ya? It grabbed me! I guess I'm back to being a diy guy.
That's not a PM, that's simply an oil change, filter and "check" the trans fluid. he said 1hr plus parts.

André
09-02-2005, 11:32 AM
howz $123 grab ya? It grabbed me! I guess I'm back to being a diy guy.
That's not a PM, that's simply an oil change, filter and "check" the trans fluid. he said 1hr plus parts.
Ric
That's about the same price i paid last week for an hour of different "service" ! :eek:
Seems my fluid level was high... :D

Ric
09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Ric
That's about the same price i paid last week for an hour of different "service" ! :eek:
Seems my fluid level was high... :D
:purplaugh .

east tx skier
09-02-2005, 12:04 PM
They must be charging you for the drip time. Perhaps it's time they invested in a pump.

djhuff
09-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Guys, the dealer does not do enough oil changes and the like to have a lackey doing the work like an automotive shop. Therefore, when you have the dealer do it, the MC Tech is the one doing the change, and you are charged their hourly labor rate for that Tech. Time to pull the boat in, un cover it, get it prepped change the oil, put it back outside could easily 45 mins, they are always going to up that to an hour. The dealer is in business to make money and they can't pay the tech less for doing oil changes vs. more complicated problems, so that is borne by the customer.

Although I did throw a fit when I was charged 1.25 hr of labor to change a tail light on the trailer (which I did not ask to be done).

Ric
09-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Guys, the dealer does not do enough oil changes and the like to have a lackey doing the work like an automotive shop. Therefore, when you have the dealer do it, the MC Tech is the one doing the change, and you are charged their hourly labor rate for that Tech. Time to pull the boat in, un cover it, get it prepped change the oil, put it back outside could easily 45 mins, they are always going to up that to an hour. The dealer is in business to make money and they can't pay the tech less for doing oil changes vs. more complicated problems, so that is borne by the customer.

Although I did throw a fit when I was charged 1.25 hr of labor to change a tail light on the trailer (which I did not ask to be done).
shame on me for not asking up front
I actually thought it would be ridiculous, but I thought ridiculous would be about $60.00

east tx skier
09-02-2005, 01:22 PM
You gotta ask about price. That said, my local dealer did not charge me near that for an oil change. I still do it for myself now.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-02-2005, 01:37 PM
$200.00, and I get what I pay for. No complaints here, I have enough to do. They do a full service on everything. What the heck it less than it takes me to fill it up with fuel twice!!

Ric
09-02-2005, 02:02 PM
$200.00, and I get what I pay for. No complaints here, I have enough to do. They do a full service on everything. What the heck it less than it takes me to fill it up with fuel twice!!
true and I did tell him up front that I didn't have time for, nor did I enjoy changing oil in an inboard
It will be alot easier to change next time. This charge was for oil change only, no servicing whatsoever, just oil change.

Rockman
09-02-2005, 02:12 PM

Morale of the story...Do it yourself or have someone on here show you how to do it. Save time, aggravation and money...and make sure it's done right. :twocents:

east tx skier
09-02-2005, 03:56 PM

I used to feel the same way. $200 for oil, transmission, winterization, the whole show. Did it myself last year and had a great time. Spent a lot less and bought a new intake manifold for $199 later.

Leroy
09-02-2005, 04:07 PM
About $10 for me. Not to difficult and I actually enjoy it. Makes me wonder why I don't do it for my other vehicles.....oh yeah, they are only $20 per change!

I did tell my local quick lube joint they should advertise they change the oil in boats also. I would pay $20 for the boat also..

erkoehler
09-02-2005, 05:36 PM
I paid 115 to have the oil and trans fluid changed at the MC dealer.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-06-2005, 12:06 AM
The time I save not messing myself up doing the oil and what not, I can wash, wax, clean all interior, and apply protectants liberaly. I know its not a bad or hard job, I just choose to not do those couple things. I'll do everything else. Within reason. I think the 200 is worth the price of having the dealer do it.

Heck, it costs me $115 just to have it done in my truck, and thats only oil and filter.

Storm861triple
09-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Boy, You (^) must not mind getting it in the Hiney. $200 for an oil change?? Whew you and I have a different view on the value of money! I'll do some work for you! ($$$)...I could use some more toys in my garage!

Morale of the story...Do it yourself ...and make sure it's done right. :twocents:
That's it is right there. Make sure it's DONE RIGHT. Only one way to know and that's to do it yourself.

-Tom

Workin' 4 Toys
09-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Boy, You (^) must not mind getting it in the Hiney. $200 for an oil change?? Whew you and I have a different view on the value of money! I'll do some work for you! ($$$)...I could use some more toys in my garage!

That's it is right there. Make sure it's DONE RIGHT. Only one way to know and that's to do it yourself.

-Tom
I have the oil done when I drop it off for the end of the season. I think it has 40 more hours on it than when the season started. Believe me, I know plenty of people that "think" they know how to "do it right" and come to find out they "didn't" later for whatever reason. Of course some of the stories come along with pointing fingers at the manu.
I would offer to have you do the work if you want some more toys in your garage. Are you a Mastercraft dealer, and within 30 miles of me? Not sure what toys you could get for the "guesstimate of $50 in overhead" for the job, but let me know.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-06-2005, 10:11 AM
I paid 115 to have the oil and trans fluid changed at the MC dealer.
Is this for a winterization, or oil and trans?

Workin' 4 Toys
09-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I don't really think I am "getting it in the Hiney". Here is the work performed I just looked up in an email I have. I did not really think much about what they did until you made me look it up after I felt like I was being drilled from your comment.

A V8 is $200+ that includes Labor, Grease, Antifreeze, Fogging, Stabil, Oil, Filter, Shop Supplies that may be used.

Storm861triple
09-06-2005, 03:24 PM
I guess taht's not so bad...for a dealer price. I thought we were talking about an oil change though. Not a winterization.

I still think it's way too much money, but that's just IMO. I know I can do a proper oil change; I'm the vehicle maintenance manager for the 5th largest ski reosrt in the nation. Mine get done right, and I KNOW it. ;)

Ski-A-Rees
09-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I still can't believe you would pay someone for an oil change! Might take you 30 minutes if it's cold outside! It's nice to have it done if they are already doing some service but other than that, no way!

Ric
09-06-2005, 03:55 PM
We are talking about just an oil change. For $123.00 :eek:
I guess I will now partake in the satisfaction of changing my own oil once again :rolleyes:

I guess taht's not so bad...for a dealer price. I thought we were talking about an oil change though. Not a winterization.

I still think it's way too much money, but that's just IMO. I know I can do a proper oil change; I'm the vehicle maintenance manager for the 5th largest ski reosrt in the nation. Mine get done right, and I KNOW it. ;)

AirJunky
09-06-2005, 04:01 PM
The Jiffy Lube up the street from my house will do it for $25!!

But I have to admit, I've only done it myself. Like Ski-a-rees said, takes a 1/2 hr & I know it's done right. Then Jiffy Lube gets the old oil next time I drive by.

erkoehler
09-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Morale of the story...Do it yourself or have someone on here show you how to do it. Save time, aggravation and money...and make sure it's done right. :twocents:

Get ready Rockman, 8 more hours till the next scheduled oil change :D

Ric
09-07-2005, 03:58 PM
The oil change charge is why I decided on the new avatar.

"moon riverrrrr!!! uopp you usin' the whole fist doc? Ever serve time?"

ksdaoski
03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
$160....really?

willyt
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM
$160....really?

and that was back in 05...

LaRue
03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
i would host someone who would be willing to come to NW Iowa and show me the ropes of weatherization. I pay dealer only because i am fearful of messing something up.

carlsonwa
03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
I invested in a $50 pump from Fleet Farm and do my own oil and transmission fluid changes. Its a fun project. Saves a trip to the dealership, and some $$