PDA

View Full Version : Preparping for ISSAC in Florida or where ever!

Jim@BAWS
08-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I know that some of you maynot be affected by ISSAC, which is scheduled to run through Florida the first part of the week, but for those of you who are inline with or will be feeling the effects of the storm. I thought we would pass on some do's an dont's on your inboard boat if you have it on a trailer or in a lift!

My personal boat sits on a lift. Some of the things I will be doing to keep my boat safe
are as follows:

1) Take the bimini top down or off and store it is a secure place. Imagine driving down the
road at 60+ MPH...well the winds will have the same effect. Take the bimini off. It it is torn
off, it could take the harware with it and I know you don't want any gelcoat damage!
2) Pull the plug! Many of us are used to not pulling the plug, if the boat is on the lift.
Water blows sideways in storms. If you have a weak battery and the bildge pump stops
running the bildge could fill up with water. Starter gets wet, floor gets wet...I think you see
what I mean, Pull the plug, place in a place that you will remember!
3) Pull the boat high up into the lift. I raise mine as high as I can.
4) Lash the boat lift to your poles. Take some rope and tie off the lift to your poles. This
will help prevent the boat from swaying side to side and hitting you dock!
5) If you have the boat on the trailer. Secure all loose gear in the boat...and YES
PULL THE PLUG and take the bimini down!
6) If you plan on towing the trailer and have not traveled a fair distance in a while, inflate
the tires to the proper pressure, check your spare and of course check your lights

Many of these are common sense items, when it comes to owning a boat. Just use
them as reminders, so that when you are able get back out on the water, after the storm,
you will have a boat that has been cared for and is ready to go!

Talk to you after the storm!!!

TEAM BAY AREA WATERSPORTS!

Double D
08-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Good advice and good luck down there guys!!

03geetee
08-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Great post Jim, way to help some other people out!

JTR

1redTA
08-26-2012, 07:21 AM
I just need to leave Atlanta and go to Pensacola to get this done

shepherd
08-26-2012, 08:56 AM
If the water rises high enough here I may be putting the plug IN! :rolleyes: