PDA

View Full Version : Surfing for the first time...

CBRENT
08-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Ok so now I have this "new toy", 2012 X2 and I want to play!

I'm going to try surfing for the first time tomorrow. Got some buddies who are coming over and we are super stoked.

I've got the rope, and a CWB RAZR. I will be using the stock ballast.

Any tips, settings and or precautions you can offer up would be appreciated.

Thanks

TheWoons
08-24-2012, 01:50 PM
If you really want to surf I'd suggest getting three Fat Sac's $150ea W707's (and a tsunami pump) and you can put them in the storage compartments or on the seats on the side you want to surf and fill them as much as you can wherever they are. Surfing an X2 with stock ballast won't give you a great surf wake unfortunately and it'll be short and shallow. You will want 2000lbs+ to really have fun surfing.

ttu
08-24-2012, 01:52 PM
woon, when you get a chance look at the surf thread about the 2012 x2 and let me know how to clean my wake up. i am running a lot of weight and just can't get it clean.

CBRENT
08-24-2012, 02:04 PM
@ TheWoons - I think that will def be an upgrade I will want to do for sure. For right now, I should be able to surf with stock ballast? I know it won't be the most perfect wake ever but... we will still have fun with it.

TheWoons
08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
ttu, I'll check it out.

CBRENT- with stock ballast you might be able to surf it but it'll be a bit tough. I'd try and load the boat with as many people as you can and line them up mostly on the side you want to surf and put a few in the bow on the opposite side

CBRENT
08-24-2012, 02:10 PM
@ TheWoons - you say it will be a bit tough. Are you saying it will be tough to stay in the sweet spot or even create one? Thanks.

TheWoons
08-24-2012, 02:24 PM
A bit of both. Most people go too slow and that creates a more mushy washy wake. Just get as weight as you can on the surf side and go 11-12mph

BrooksfamX2
08-24-2012, 02:38 PM
@ TheWoons - I think that will def be an upgrade I will want to do for sure. For right now, I should be able to surf with stock ballast? I know it won't be the most perfect wake ever but... we will still have fun with it.

You should be able to surf with stock ballast. We did on our 07 X2's for a long time. The pocket is short though, but very surfable. I just recently added a 455lb piggy back bag to the port (surf side) locker and it helps a lot. Add a few more adults and its not bad at all. We surf at about 10.6mph

tr6coug and I have the same set ups...........

CBRENT
08-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Cool man thanks for the advice.

Nick911
08-24-2012, 03:30 PM
A beginner will have a tough time surfing stock ballast, even on our 25 with tabs I could not do it. Now that I'm more experienced I can but it's still a pain without at least an extra bag or two...

LouisvilleFan
08-24-2012, 04:40 PM
As long as you have a rope out and hold on you can "surf" as a beginner. Letting go of the rope and having a true surf is I think what everyone is saying...you should be able to get up and learn the basics behind any MC boat!

TheWoons
08-24-2012, 05:25 PM
As long as you have a rope out and hold on you can "surf" as a beginner. Letting go of the rope and having a true surf is I think what everyone is saying...you should be able to get up and learn the basics behind any MC boat!

Yes this is the gist of what I was meaning to say.

BrooksfamX2
08-24-2012, 06:49 PM
A beginner will have a tough time surfing stock ballast, even on our 25 with tabs I could not do it. Now that I'm more experienced I can but it's still a pain without at least an extra bag or two...

We can teach a "beginner" to surf ropeless behind our stock ballast X2's in about a half hour. The youngens do it easily. Just taught my 22 yr old step son who rides goofy to surf ropeless behind my X2 as mentioned earlier without a rope. Took about 30 minutes. Now hes not doing tricks, but is surfing ropeless.........

CBRENT
08-27-2012, 09:14 AM
So we had a great time on the boat this weekend. Surfing... It seemed we could only get the rope to slack for a second or two at a time. Getting up, getting into the wave were easy enough. Getting the rope to slack was an issue.

Stock ballast, used the MC "right side surf" or "left side surf" profile. we tried 9, 10, 10.2, and 11 MPHs. The wake never really cleaned up. What should my trim tab settings be at... Again I'm using MC's stock settings.

Thanks

CBRENT
08-27-2012, 09:15 AM
@ BrooksfamX2 - I need to fly you out to Michigan for the weekend! Haha. Seriously though give me some pointers.

BrooksfamX2
08-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Pictures of you on the wake/board would be helpful. With your setup, you should be only about 3-4 feet behind the boat. Toes side weight is key to keep driving into the wake. Your toes need to be about 2 inches from the edge of the board. Bend slightly at the waste and knees to keep your weight over your toes. Once you find the sweet spot, you'll know it and you will be able to track behind the boat. After getting some ropeless time in, you can start playing with foot position and turning, pumping the board. Adding extra ballast will also help. These are pictures of friends behind a completely stock ballast 2007 X2 back (boat was only a couple months old) when we were just learning how to surf. The wake is not great, but very surfable.........