PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: Running the blower, Boat exploded

Quinten
08-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Found this on the internet (wakeworld), boat exploded, but is probaly due a fuel leak.

http://www.gazettenet.com/2012/08/24/early-morning-fire-destroys-boat-on-conn-river-as-occupants-flee
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1777856#post1777856

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7900788/Photos/Forums/boatfire/fire1.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7900788/Photos/Forums/boatfire/fire2.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7900788/Photos/Forums/boatfire/fire3.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7900788/Photos/Forums/boatfire/fire4.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7900788/Photos/Forums/boatfire/fire5.png

Looks like a mastercraft to me. I hope this boats isn't from anyone on teamtalk.
Sorry for the loss of that boat.

CantRepeat
08-24-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that will buff out.

mikeg205
08-24-2012, 08:17 AM

omg...that was great Cant...LMFAO....

mikeg205
08-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Love the wakeworld comments...thinking its an MC...I vote for it's an MB... maybe an F-21 Tomcat?

hondaprlud
08-24-2012, 08:29 AM

awesome.

soacj
08-24-2012, 08:51 AM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7900788/Photos/Forums/boatfire/fire3.png

That wrap is HAWWTTTT!

ShawnB
08-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Definitely an X2. Glad everyone survived -- quick thinking by the captain saved five lives.

tideengineer
08-24-2012, 08:54 AM
...wonder what kind of oil he was using....

snork
08-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Love the wakeworld comments...thinking its an MC...I vote for it's an MB... maybe an F-21 Tomcat?

Luckily, the five people on board donned life jackets, jumped into the river and swam to safety before the 2007 Mastercraft power boat was fully engulfed in flames, according to Fire District Two Chief David Keefe.

ttu
08-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Luckily, the five people on board donned life jackets, jumped into the river and swam to safety before the 2007 Mastercraft power boat was fully engulfed in flames, according to Fire District Two Chief David Keefe.

that was my thought also! still sad.

mzimme
08-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Good news is, this guy will probably end up in a brand new boat!

rhsprostar
08-24-2012, 10:42 AM
So what was the cause? Was it a fuel leak and then it blew up when he tried to start it?
Was it because he didn't run the blower?

ntidsl
08-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Once again...reason to start engine with doghouse open!!! Too many peeps drop boat in, start it and go...

mzimme
08-24-2012, 10:51 AM
I drop boat in, start it, and go! (but my doghouse is open during this time). I rarely run my blower. Way easier just to open the lid.

willyt
08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Once again...reason to start engine with doghouse open!!!

whats a doghouse? there's room for a dog on your 197? don't dogs scratch the vinyl and stuff, leave hair everywhere? I'm so confused

TxsRiverRat
08-24-2012, 11:14 AM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7900788/Photos/Forums/boatfire/fire5.png

Holy crap - is that TEX? Hahahahahaha

bjames
08-24-2012, 11:26 AM
^ that photo reminds me of JAWS II, when the shark was all burt to t crisp...

bjames
08-24-2012, 11:27 AM
In all seriousness, gladd everyone whas ok.. and I hope the MC owner comes out with a new boat.

milkmania
08-24-2012, 11:29 AM
FIRE SALE: 2007 MC Prop & Rudder for sale......CHEAP!!!!

JimN
08-24-2012, 11:40 AM

The article states that it's an MC in the beginning.

JimN
08-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Makes me wonder if someone replaced the fuel pump and didn't line up the screw holes or torque them correctly. Maybe they re-used the gasket or didn't slide the fuel line on all the way.

CantRepeat
08-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Makes me wonder if someone replaced the fuel pump and didn't line up the screw holes or torque them correctly. Maybe they re-used the gasket or didn't slide the fuel line on all the way.

Jim, I assume you are talking about the bolts that mount the pump housing back to the tank. If so, what are those bolts torque to?

JimN
08-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Jim, I assume you are talking about the bolts that mount the pump housing back to the tank. If so, what are those bolts torque to?

I don't remember the spec, but it should be included with a new pump or housing. According to this link, they should be tightened to 5.5 N-m (Newton-meters). If you don't have a way to measure N-m (and we all should), you would use 49 in-lb.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/torque-specs-f-body-fuel-tank-bolts-168164/

Cobra Rob
08-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Once again...reason to start engine with doghouse open!!! Too many peeps drop boat in, start it and go...

That can actually be worse. You are adding more 02 to the area but not getting out any gas fumes. There is a reason the blowers are mounted so low. Gas fumes are heavier than air and sink to the bottom. Opening it up will just stir the air some not get the fumes out.

Covi
08-24-2012, 01:40 PM
That wrap is HAWWTTTT!

That's Funny!

19_Skier
08-24-2012, 01:58 PM
I drop boat in, start it, and go! (but my doghouse is open during this time). I rarely run my blower. Way easier just to open the lid.

That is not going to allow potential gas fumes to escape.

I always start mine with the doghouse closed. I visualize it similar to a blasting mat, if it were to explode, let the lid take the brunt of the force instead of my body.

CantRepeat
08-24-2012, 02:01 PM
I don't remember the spec, but it should be included with a new pump or housing. According to this link, they should be tightened to 5.5 N-m (Newton-meters). If you don't have a way to measure N-m (and we all should), you would use 49 in-lb.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/torque-specs-f-body-fuel-tank-bolts-168164/

Great link too!!!

Quinten
08-25-2012, 01:02 PM
That can actually be worse. You are adding more 02 to the area but not getting out any gas fumes. There is a reason the blowers are mounted so low. Gas fumes are heavier than air and sink to the bottom. Opening it up will just stir the air some not get the fumes out.

But by the air the fumes are moving, and it's possible you get to smell it so.

curtish
08-27-2012, 01:53 AM
That wrap is HAWWTTTT!

That's just not right. Ok, for the record, I did lol.

onewheat
08-29-2012, 03:07 PM
That is not going to allow potential gas fumes to escape.

I always start mine with the doghouse closed. I visualize it similar to a blasting mat, if it were to explode, let the lid take the brunt of the force instead of my body.

I was just going to say that - but continued reading on to pg 3. I'm surprised no one said that right away. Gas fumes are heavier than air so opening the doghouse does NOTHING to get rid of gas fumes. It may give the explosion a different path when it goes, but it will still go. I ALWAYS use my blower before starting - extra long when the boat has been sitting for a while.

JimN
08-29-2012, 03:09 PM
I was just going to say that - but continued reading on to pg 3. I'm surprised no one said that right away. Gas fumes are heavier than air so opening the doghouse does NOTHING to get rid of gas fumes. It may give the explosion a different path when it goes, but it will still go. I ALWAYS use my blower before starting - extra long when the boat has been sitting for a while.

Unless it's windy- that gets rid of fumes pretty fast.

onewheat
08-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Unless it's windy- that gets rid of fumes pretty fast.

I wouldn't think it would get them out of the bottom of the hull where they settle.

Ever pull a cold boat into a heated garage to work on it? If you are laying on the floor of the boat working under the dash, the interior of the boat will take HOURS to start to warm up, even if the garage is 75 inside. Cold air sinks (like gas fumes) and even with a fan in the garage (like wind) it blows warm air over the top of the boat, but will NOT blow the cold air out and warm air in. That would take a ceiling fan of something in the bottom of the boat blowing the cold air upwards where it could be diluted. Just my :twocents: though. YMMV

JimN
08-29-2012, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't think it would get them out of the bottom of the hull where they settle.

Ever pull a cold boat into a heated garage to work on it? If you are laying on the floor of the boat working under the dash, the interior of the boat will take HOURS to start to warm up, even if the garage is 75 inside. Cold air sinks (like gas fumes) and even with a fan in the garage (like wind) it blows warm air over the top of the boat, but will NOT blow the cold air out and warm air in. That would take a ceiling fan of something in the bottom of the boat blowing the cold air upwards where it could be diluted. Just my :twocents: though. YMMV

Sorry, I meant windy AND the motor box is opened.

mikeg205
08-30-2012, 08:57 AM
The after? http://www.crashedtoys.com/Inventory.aspx?InventoryID=1019887&secid=2&trc=2&langCode=en&tzw=Eastern+Standard+Time&fts=mastercraft

mikeg205
08-30-2012, 08:59 AM
The article states that it's an MC in the beginning.

Good catch for me...just read the wakeworld link....

Jason.H.
08-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Maybe run the blower in the garage to warm boat?!? haha hey, it could work!

Quinten
08-30-2012, 09:23 AM
The after? http://www.crashedtoys.com/Inventory.aspx?InventoryID=1019887&secid=2&trc=2&langCode=en&tzw=Eastern+Standard+Time&fts=mastercraft

I think this is an other boat, if you look close to the pictures you see bleu, and the port side is burned on the one I posted, and on the x-star it isn't.
I think the xstar was cached on fire sitting on the trailer, right side of trailer is burned to.

mikeg205
08-30-2012, 10:41 AM
I think this is an other boat, if you look close to the pictures you see bleu, and the port side is burned on the one I posted, and on the x-star it isn't.
I think the xstar was cached on fire sitting on the trailer, right side of trailer is burned to.

still nasty looking...and a good reminder to "be" careful....

but you're right and it's in a different area... I bet that one went right to the dump after the adjuster saw it.

snork
08-30-2012, 11:26 AM
XStar caught on fire sitting on the trailer just before launching at 121 marina on Lake Lewisville

Jason.H.
08-30-2012, 02:05 PM
How in the world does it catch fire while sitting on the trailer?? Bad stereo install causing a spark when key turned mixed with fuel fumes from not running the blower? I guess anything can happen.

PA Prostar
08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
How in the world does it catch fire while sitting on the trailer?? Bad stereo install causing a spark when key turned mixed with fuel fumes from not running the blower? I guess anything can happen.

Could argue apples and oranges, but I had my truck just about catch fire one night from an electrical short. I had the boat and trailer hooked up and I went out to walk the dog before bed. It looked like the lights were left on and dimming from battery drain. When I walked over and opened the door to turn the lights out, I was greeted with a big waft of smoke. I was able to figure out it was coming from the back and electrical nature pretty quickly - so I disconnected the battery. When I took the rear panel out, the converter unit for my tail lights had apparently shorted and was melting. I got a new one, aired out the truck, and everything was fine - thank God. It could have been worse. I figured something with the trailer, and maybe wetness, was causing it to short.

My point is yes, electrical can happen at any time.

mikeg205
08-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Maybe they were listening to really bad music and the X-star took its own life... :(

snork
08-30-2012, 05:45 PM

They were about to launch the boat with the trailer backed into the water and when the boat turned over, Woof, they pulled the boat out of the water and disconnected it from the truck then left it there to Burn
Did someone forget to reconnect the vent hose after a fuel pump exchange?

JimN
08-30-2012, 05:49 PM

The first thing I would ask is "Who installed the stereo and other accessories?". If it has extra batteries and they were wired parallel with no protection, it's asking for big-time trouble. One battery with 800CCA in parallel with another can do a whole lot of damage of a short exists and if the short is metal on heavy terminals with nothing to act as a fuse (even 4 ga can be a fuse in the right situation), you're gonna see smoke. If the batteries aren't secure, ditto.