PDA

View Full Version : is my bilge pump supposed to suck dry?

kalamalka
08-23-2012, 07:23 PM
My bilge pump turns on but it doesnt seem to flush out the bit of water sitting in there. Do you need a certain amount of water in the bilge to get the water flowing?

Ryan
08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
My bilge pump turns on but it doesnt seem to flush out the bit of water sitting in there. Do you need a certain amount of water in the bilge to get the water flowing?

Yep. Once the pump has run and is no longer primed. I often have about the same volume that would fill the hose going from the pump to the through-hull fitting.

kskonn
08-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Yes it will not pull 100% of the water out. It will leave a few inches in there.

kalamalka
08-24-2012, 10:24 PM
I assume then it wont even start to pump water out with an inch of water then either?

aswinter05
08-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Mine always leaves some water behind. There's no such thing as a dry bilge in my boat unless i yank the plug.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Panda Cub
08-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Mine too. My entire family has inboards, and this happens with all brands...... Except one of my uncles Malibus that has rotten stringer and leaks water like.....a Malibu!

Panda Cub
08-25-2012, 01:35 AM
I should say his Malibu has at least 4 inches of water in it at all time

kskonn
08-25-2012, 02:43 AM
I assume then it wont even start to pump water out with an inch of water then either?

If you have it on auto bilge it has a sensor that tells the pump to turn on when water gets to a certain point. Has to be a decent amount of water for it to kick on. Only time mine has kicked on is when I got caught in a big storm on the lake. If you have an inch of water the pump will run but it is not mounted low enough to get to the water. If you look in your bilge you should be able to see where the pump is mounted.

93Prostar190
08-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Yep ... On my 214 the bilge pump is just over the front fin and it does takes a few inches to kick the float on .... Even when I flip the switch it only gets it down to an inch or 2 of water ....

I like a mostly dry bilge which is what I usually have except for those weeklong trips to the lake .... On a 214 most of the water actually goes forward into the ski,locker (if you don't have a KGB) and gets the skis all slimy ...... I have considered moving the pump forward a bit and also finding a pump that at least gets the water level lower.

Although I only worry about this 1 or 2 weeks out of a season in case of rain or a lot of lake water coming in the boat with life jackets. Otherwise, mine sits on a trailer and is usually bone dry.

Anyone have tips on a better pump ...currently I have the Rule 750 previous model

scott023
08-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Need at least an inch for mine to kick in as well.

Lumbergh
08-25-2012, 11:46 AM
My 190 bilge pump, in the factory location, will not get out all of the water.

It leaves behind an 1/2 to an inch or so under the engine.

Of course my MCOCD requires me to sponge the remaining out into a bucket. I usually get about a half a standard bucket out with 10 minutes of work.

Love a dry bilge.

Where does the water come from? Less than 100% QD fittings on heater/shower and I suspect a less than 100% rub rail seal in front of boat. More off season work.

zsqure
08-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Yep ... On my 214 the bilge pump is just over the front fin and it does takes a few inches to kick the float on .... Even when I flip the switch it only gets it down to an inch or 2 of water ....

I like a mostly dry bilge which is what I usually have except for those weeklong trips to the lake .... On a 214 most of the water actually goes forward into the ski,locker (if you don't have a KGB) and gets the skis all slimy ...... I have considered moving the pump forward a bit and also finding a pump that at least gets the water level lower.

Although I only worry about this 1 or 2 weeks out of a season in case of rain or a lot of lake water coming in the boat with life jackets. Otherwise, mine sits on a trailer and is usually bone dry.

Anyone have tips on a better pump ...currently I have the Rule 750 previous model

Rules are pretty reliable they have been around since the 70's.