PDA

View Full Version : Is chicken litter contaminating your waterways?

milkmania
09-01-2005, 06:47 PM
It's contaminating ours:mad:
and I know it's not only chicken litter that's contaminating it

http://www.sequoyahcountytimes.com/articles/2005/08/25/news/front3.txt

printer friendly version:
http://www.sequoyahcountytimes.com/articles/2005/08/25/news/front3.prt

BriEOD
09-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Their is a HUGE government grant and Congressional inquiry on this. A large portion of the study is in NC/VA/Chesapeake Region. Lots of dead fish.

milkmania
09-01-2005, 07:22 PM
my brother in law came back from Tenkiller last weekend with stories of hundreds of dead fish by the dam:mad:

BriEOD
09-01-2005, 10:49 PM
From what I remember from the article I read they aren't just dead fish, they are dead fish with severe sore and lesions. The chicken droppings are used as fertilizer for a lot of plantations/farms. In turn the run off from these farms down rivers, etc. to the ocean deposits some form of bacteria or something that causes fish to develop the sores and chokes out their respiration. I'll have to find the article but I remember reading in for an ocean science class I took.

It's funny the way we hurt the ocean the most is not what you would think: oil spills, fossil fuels. Those things are naturally released and have been for 1000's of years and the ocean has survived. It's the ant killer, fertilizer, birth control pills. All the stuff that goes down the toilet or down the sewer drain and eventually out to the ocean. The ocean is a pretty resilant thing and affects our everyday lives more than we know if even you live miles away from it.

peason
09-01-2005, 10:55 PM
I used to boat on the Illinois river - and it is no picnic. If it wasn't for the barge traffic the river would be all silted in. I thought it had cleaned up quite a bit, but this certainly doesn't help.

shepherd
09-01-2005, 11:32 PM
It's the ant killer, fertilizer, birth control pills.

:confused: Birth control pills??? :confused:

I know what you mean about the Chesapeake, Bri. It was big news a few years back when I was living up there. There's a lot of chicken farms on the Eastern Shore of the Bay. :noface:

BriEOD
09-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Yes, their is a study that NOAA did that said birth control pills being flushed down the toilet was getting into tidal creeks, etc and affecting the reproduction of many shell fish, etc. Scary...

shepherd
09-02-2005, 09:55 AM
That's too weird .

Maybe that accounts for the 2% of women who claim they got pregnant despite taking birth control pills. They were secretly flushing them down the toilet instead! :eek3:

jimmer2880
09-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Yes, their is a study that NOAA did that said birth control pills being flushed down the toilet was getting into tidal creeks, etc and affecting the reproduction of many shell fish, etc. Scary...

There have been Male small mouth Bass upriver of me which have eggs in them! They blame it on the birth control pills. Apparently, not all the pill is absorbed into the body & ends up getting flushed.

woody
09-06-2005, 08:20 AM
We've had similar reports of fish changing sex over here in Britain due to too much oestrogen being in the water to. In the early days of birth control pill production they guys working in the plants didn't wear face masks.... and ended up developing a bossum. They wear masks now! I wonder if boarding/skiing in contaminated water too much will have a similar effect? :eek:

sizzler
09-06-2005, 08:23 AM
if it does ...i'll send out the wife more :banana:

jimmer2880
09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
We've had similar reports of fish changing sex over here in Britain due to too much oestrogen being in the water to. In the early days of birth control pill production they guys working in the plants didn't wear face masks.... and ended up developing a bossum. They wear masks now! I wonder if boarding/skiing in contaminated water too much will have a similar effect? :eek:

I think I'm going to stop Barefooting so much. That definately can't help! :rolleyes:

shepherd
09-06-2005, 01:34 PM
if it does ...i'll send out the wife more :banana:

If it does what? Changes their sex or grows bossums? Or both??? ;) (I don't think I want my wife to become a man with big breasts!)