PDA

View Full Version : 205V Hull - wave starts out great, then washes out after an hour of riding

beatle78
08-22-2012, 03:38 PM
OK, just started wakesurfing(AWESOME!). We ~750 in rear locker, ski locker, and bow sac filled.

This has happened twice so I'm starting to think it may be a pattern.

Today: 2 people in boat. After about an hour(about 12 gallons of gas), the wave turns into a frorthy mess. Is that 100 lbs enough to make that much of a difference?

The other Day: same sac setup as above but people in boat all on same side as wave. Wave was great at first, but then washed out towards the end. We tried moving people all around, but just couldn't get the wake.

What could be going on?:(

Thanks!
beatle78

snork
08-22-2012, 05:34 PM
water depth?

sand2snow22
08-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Speed? Download a MPH app for your phone. Should be going + or - 10 MPH confirmed with GPS....

beatle78
08-22-2012, 07:37 PM
We set the speed around 10MPH via the perfect pass. That variable should be consistent. But I will use a speed app and see if the PP is remaining consistent over time. It's the paddle wheel style

Good idea on the water depth. The shallow end of our lake if ~5' and I noticed the wave is not as good up there. In the deep area, it's ~10' and that's where we lost the wave and couldn't get it back. I'm baffled.

I thought of something else, my teak platform has some loose screws in the middle support board. It could be flexing, but that should flex the same amount the entire ride. Could the platform affect the wave?

sand2snow22
08-23-2012, 12:12 AM
It could be flexing, but that should flex the same amount the entire ride. Could the platform affect the wave?

Maybe, take it off and try surfing without it! I had problems with my screws, too. I had to get longer stainless screws and reset others in different places....

Cary K.
08-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Is the center or front ballast losing any water over this period?
Is the bilge getting full from waves over the back?
Is the opposite side tank filling somehow?

It sounds like you are taking on weight, making the wave wash out.

beatle78
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
ohhhhh, bilge! Perhaps. My bilge pump doesn't work, but I just take the center drain plug out when I put it on the lift. Perhaps the rear engine compartment is filling with water? That makes the most logical sense. I'm on it, stay tuned for update!

jamisonsbrodie
08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Is the center or front ballast losing any water over this period?
Is the bilge getting full from waves over the back?
Is the opposite side tank filling somehow?

It sounds like you are taking on weight, making the wave wash out.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If the wave changes over the course of time, only one of two things can be happening. 1: The bilge is taking on water (very common and happens to us). or 2: The ballast tanks are draining.

gotta_ski
08-24-2012, 01:29 PM
You really need to fix your bilge pump. Running without a working pump is asking for trouble. Especially with a boat weighted down with ballast.

beatle78
08-24-2012, 03:54 PM
It must be the bilge. I have flyhigh sacs that I manually fill, they can't be emptying.

I have the new bilge pump. Guess it's time to put it in! Thanks for the help guys!

sheckski
08-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Be carefully with bilge water on 205v. Eventually the tranny seal goes and you get water in the transmission. NOT cheap to fix.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

JRW160
08-24-2012, 11:27 PM
If you only have one bilge pump in the rear, you should add a 2nd one in the center near the drain plug. Water tends to collect in the center and only hits the rear bilge pump when the boat is moving in my experience. It's only about $50 and an hour or two of time to add a 2nd one.

sheckski
08-25-2012, 07:14 AM
205v pump is in the center.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express