PDA

View Full Version : Big Stereo's , Big waste of $$ ??

lettmeknow
08-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I must be getting old, but its just seems to me that these big expensive stereo systems on the wave machines are a big waste of money. I dont think you even get close to your money back on them on resale. I have a simple cd player 4 in boat speaker set up and and it does me just fine. I rarely even turn it on. Guess I'm too busy skiing. Even I'm not, and I want to relax with a beer, I rather have some tunes at good volume. Not blowing my ear drums out!

mzimme
08-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Yep, you're getting old ;)

Jason.H.
08-22-2012, 03:15 PM
I am twenty four and my 1990 tristar with original kenwood marine tapedeck radio does me just fine! The last thing I think about when I am behind the boat wakeboarding is, man I sure wish I had ten massive tower speakers so I, and everyone else on the lake, could hear some stupid song. I guess I aged quickly! haha

Forrest-X45
08-22-2012, 03:21 PM
You are correct.....you won't ever get your money back out of the initial cost. But on the other hand you gotta rock the tunes while you ride. :D

I like some tunes but after a while with mutiple riders it starts to wear on you and everyone in the boat with the music constantly cranked - I am talking hours. Maybe I am starting to get old......:o

Jason.H.
08-22-2012, 03:23 PM
To me it kind of seems unsafe to blast music while pulling someone too

76S&S
08-22-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm always concerned about the people with places on shore. I rarely crank it anymore, especially during the week.

GT500 MC
08-22-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm always hauling kids so when they're behind the boat, the music is usually low or off. I don't like the distraction. However, all 3 of my kids love the tunes though so when we're in the middle of the lake swimming it's nice to have the extra amp/sub to crank up a little Kid Rock. I'm turning 43 this weekend and trying like h*ll to stay young....:D

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-22-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm so old that I can't hear well anymore so mine has to be loud:D

pram
08-22-2012, 03:35 PM
I am of the opinion that my music is for me to enjoy and that I do not need to subject those around me to have to listen to it

All it does when people blast music like that is make those around them mad and soon there are bans on things like that

I watched a boat load of idiots on sat, boarding 100-125yds from shore with their tunes cranked going back and forth for hours on end, wonder how the people who lived there felt about it??

Forrest-X45
08-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Good points....I don't crank the tunes on my local lake in respect to many other boaters and more so to the lake homeowners. Stereo gets used on the remote lakes I visit where no one lives on the lake and there are far fewer boats.

JDC
08-22-2012, 03:52 PM
I think the only time the volume is UP on mine is when we're pulled off in a cove having lunch or swimming. However, I'm old too. :cool:

I like the sound of the engine, the exhaust, the wind, and the water when we're moving rather than the stereo blasting. I also agree with Jason on the safety aspect of pulling someone with loud music.

I added a remote volume control to turn down the tower speakers just for the reason of respecting other boaters, or anyone on the shore, if we're close to shore.

Kyle
08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Sorry to say this, but the getting old part has already past you up..... YOU ARE OLD!!!!!!

Most of you guys know that I have quite the system and I have spent thousands of dollars on it.

Here is the deal. I have had my boat 7 years and I have always had a system. The current system is about 3 years old or so. I am now 31yrs old, my gf is 39yrs old and we love the heck out of the boat and the stereo. She has her special spots that she always sits in especially durring high bass songs where she can feel the vibes :) and yes I am being dead serious. We also have friends in mid 30's to probably 45 ish and they all love my loud system.

Some of the songs the GF plays on my sytem are

Skrillex: Bangarang, cinema, kyoto, narcissistic cannibal
knife party: centipede

Anyway we like bass and loud systems. We have decent systems in our vehicles also. She just put in 2, 10" JL Subs in her 2012 Camaro SS, and yes she has the 6 speed.

Now yes we jam out the system but we dont do it around people who dont want to hear it, most of our friends use my stereo instead of their own and I figure that its easier to play someones ipod every now and then so I can jam my music more. It is not uncommon for me to have 4 or 5 iphones and a few ipods from requested songs from people who are wanting to play a song or two. This makes it fair for everyone who is parked at the island and floating around. We also are aware of those who might bring their kids around, hince we dont play songs that are dropping bombs every other word. I also sky ski by the island were no one lives so it in not a problem to society skiing to my tunes.

St1cky
08-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Can't say that I've ever had a problem with somebody blasting their stereo near me. I mean it's their right to have whatever type of stereo system they want and their money to spend however they want. An expensive stereo is no more a wise investment than the actual boat it's in, they both lose money. The loudest system I've ever seen in a boat on my area river was still only loud to 'my' ears when it was within a hundred feet or so and the tower speakers were facing me as they were turning around. We could hear the bass long before we could hear mids and highs because of sound reflections off the canyon walls along the section of river we were in. That being said, this guy had a system not typical compared to most of us out that day. When we go to our local lake the high powered systems in my opinion have even less impact because of the wide open area. Still have to be within a few hundred feet to hear even the best systems. So I don't feel sorry for the lakefront homeowners nor do I feel sorry for those who claim they're affected by someone passing by with a loud stereo.
I have the factory JL system that came in my boat and it's pretty loud when close to it. Therefore the only place I won't crank it up is at the boat ramp, as a courtesy and safety, but those who do crank it at the ramp don't bother me. To each his own.

bobx1
08-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Big wakes (wake surfers) and loud music is under discussion from being banned at my lake. A few discourtious boaters is going to ruin the fun for all.

St1cky
08-22-2012, 04:04 PM
So surfing and loud music is now considered discourteous??

swardco
08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
My '91 Prostar has a sweet cassette deck!

Does anybody remember what goes in that thing?

Seriously, most of the time I forget that the boat has a radio. I ski on a private lake and rarely see other boats, so I guess I don't really have an opinion.

mzimme
08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
You should start an oridinance to ban fishermen. Those pesky guys always come fishing around my dock, are always in the middle of a channel fishing in some "great area", or are always running 80mph. Get rid of the fishermen, they're annoying... so annoying... cry cry cry.

Seriously, who actually complains about people having their own good time on the water? Lakes are big, go somewhere else if people are bothering you.

bturner2
08-22-2012, 04:12 PM
I bought my boat used and it had an amp and a Wet Sounds Double Up package tower speaker system on it. I love it and use it every time I go out but personally wouldn't have spent that kind of money for the upgrade. I would have done some kind of tower speaker upgrade but not $2K worth. I probably would have bought a used set of MC tower speakers off eBay and an amp and did the upgrade myself. In comparison to other boats I looked at my boat was actually cheaper than most of the others I considered. The stereo was an absolute factor in the purchase but not worth spending an extra $2K on to me.

Like most purchases in this category if you're looking to do a stereo do it because you want it not because you think it'll add a profit at resale time. Chances are whatever you add will not bring back what you put into it. I see all the time where people will add big engine options and never see anywhere near the $5K or $6K back in resale. That doesn't mean it wasn't worth it if you enjoyed it when you had it.

Jason.H.
08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Im with kyle, I love the clarity and sound of a quality audio system. Everyone loves their own music, so blast it all you want as long as it isnt affecting someone elses good time at the lake. I spent a lot of time and money on a stereo I had in a honda s2000 I used to have, I was very proud of it. But always turned it down when in town or a neighborhood.

St1cky
08-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Yeah those fisherman hate us all for sure because you know that ALL lakes either man made or natural are solely for fishing. Never mind the fishing boats I've seen pulling a tube at 40+ mph cuz that's ok.

New ordinances?! Don't most lakes have enough regulation as it is without the need to even have to discuss a noise or wake surfing regulation or worse a ban?! Can't people decide for themselves if a lake is too busy, too WaVy, too loud, or too small?! There are area lakes I don't go to because they are busy, all the good wakeboarding and surfings areas are usually congested, and the other side is mostly fishing, so I choose to go to another lake.

If a new regulation or ban were being proposed I would have to imagine that it's because the lake is very very small much like our area state parks where the entire lake (pond) is a no wake zone. I still don't get the noise complaint though. Seems like we're always losing rights as a whole to appease the few.

DooSPX
08-22-2012, 04:19 PM

Surfing, not really if you are far enough away from other boaters or docks. Loud music, yes. Ever hear of noise ordinances? :rolleyes: Most places do not enforce it, but it is a law. Something like 50 or 100 feet is the limit for loud music. With all that said, I like loud music and good SQ too. I have a system in my PS190, adding a sub and amp soon. I also have a 10 in my car and in my truck, but I turn it down when around residential area's or something like that.

Kyle
08-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Ever hear of noise ordinances? :rolleyes: Most places do not enforce it, but it is a law. Something like 50 or 100 feet is the limit for loud music.

Every single lake that I go to I jam the heck out of my system (roughly 5K-6K in equipment I installed). I have never been told to turn it down by any law enforcement agency. I have also jammed it WFO until 4am before. Now if I was in an area where homes are I would not act like an A$$ and get the police called on me on purpose.

There is a time and a place for the stereo and some people need to understand were it is socially acceptable to use it.

taymc190 on here has his 02TT that has pretty much the same exact system minus the sub. We link the two systems together and really jam out. Its like a total of 6 amps and 16 JL 7.7's and 2 JL 10" subs along with my single 12" JL W6

bobx1
08-22-2012, 04:34 PM

That is not what I said at all. You can be a courtious and enjoy music and surf at the same time. It is the people that surf too close to the lake homes and moored boats that is discourteous.

As for loud music...yes, it can be discourteous when 1/2 the people on the lake can hear rap music.

The point I was trying to make is that our lake should be available for everyone to enjoy (including those that want to surf and want to play music) - if EVERYONE used some common sense then banning would not be up for discussion.

BTW......tubers can be discourteous as well as fishermen going 70mph at dark as well as jet skis.

St1cky
08-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Surfing, not really if you are far enough away from other boaters or docks. Loud music, yes. Ever hear of noise ordinances? :rolleyes: Most places do not enforce it, but it is a law. Something like 50 or 100 feet is the limit for loud music.

Interesting you should ask. As an acoustical consultant I've helped many cities in my area write or modify their noise ordinances specifically when it comes to industrial noise impacts. I've conducted countless noise impact studies and built countless models and mitigation plans and one thing I've come to understand in my field is that 'noise' is in the eye (or in this case 'ear') of the beholder. what is loud or noisy to you may not be to me. Oh and there were never any noise provisions in ANY ordinance in area lakes as these bodies are normally controlled by fish and wildlife.

So what would you say to all those with speed boats and straight exhaust?? There are more boats in my local lake making far more engine noise than from music.

TxsRiverRat
08-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Yep, you're getting old ;)

+1

I just upgraded my system and I love the boom boom :D

02ProstarSammyD
08-22-2012, 04:44 PM
I like mine loud. I just run the kicker hlcd's but they are plenty loud to hear riding. I like to ride to music but we also have no houses on our lake. Would annoy me if I lived on the lake and heard that all day.

CantRepeat
08-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I have a stereo so I don't have to listen to other peoples terrible music.

DooSPX
08-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Every single lake that I go to I jam the heck out of my system (roughly 5K-6K in equipment I installed). I have never been told to turn it down by any law enforcement agency. I have also jammed it WFO until 4am before. Now if I was in an area where homes are I would not act like an A$$ and get the police called on me on purpose.

There is a time and a place for the stereo and some people need to understand were it is socially acceptable to use it.

taymc190 on here has his 02TT that has pretty much the same exact system minus the sub. We link the two systems together and really jam out. Its like a total of 6 amps and 16 JL 7.7's and 2 JL 10" subs along with my single 12" JL W6

Sounds bad *** Kyle. I meant in area's where there are homes. My lake here in FL and the river in WV have homes all around, so they get down with the enforcement thing.

DooSPX
08-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Interesting you should ask. As an acoustical consultant I've helped many cities in my area write or modify their noise ordinances specifically when it comes to industrial noise impacts. I've conducted countless noise impact studies and built countless models and mitigation plans and one thing I've come to understand in my field is that 'noise' is in the eye (or in this case 'ear') of the beholder. what is loud or noisy to you may not be to me. Oh and there were never any noise provisions in ANY ordinance in area lakes as these bodies are normally controlled by fish and wildlife.

So what would you say to all those with speed boats and straight exhaust?? There are more boats in my local lake making far more engine noise than from music.

I have gotten pulled over here in FL for my system in my old car for being to loud, and its funny on our lake here. The FWC (FL fish and wildlife) will harass you for loud music on the lake too. Guess it depends on where you live.

TxsRiverRat
08-22-2012, 04:53 PM
kyles stereo is truly a badass piece of work - trust me, lol

Kyle
08-22-2012, 04:54 PM

LOL I love that

Kyle
08-22-2012, 05:00 PM
kyles stereo is truly a badass piece of work - trust me, lol

Keep your GF out of my boat unless you want her to force you to upgrade your system buddy. She only thinks she likes your observer seat..... :D

19_Skier
08-22-2012, 05:06 PM

So true. I have no problem with loud music on boats at our lake, as most have pointed out you have to be pretty close to even hear it. Only time it bothers me is when it is full of f-bombs, loads of kids on our lake and everyone who boats there knows it. Just common courtesy to keep it clean in that case if you are going to be running close to shore/cottages.

My boat doesn't have much of a stereo, yet but it sure gets played especially right before a skiing session. It gets turned down/off once the skier is up so the driver can hear the spotter and concentrate on keeping it straight in the course! If we are cruising the tunes are always on.

If it's too loud, you're too old!

St1cky
08-22-2012, 05:10 PM
I guess what I would compare it to is someone who lives in CA and complains about earthquakes or live in FL and complain about hurricanes. If I only had access to one lake within reasonable distance and it were frequented by boats with loud stereos and that wasn't my thing then yeah I probably wouldn't like it, but that doesn't give me the right to say that you can't have your stereo or play it loud. I fortunately have 6 great choices in lakes and a river and each has it's own crowd. All of them have wake boats and fisherman and loud stereos. Just some more or way more than others. If I want a quiet evening of cruising then I go to one lake, or if I'm wakeboarding and being serious about it and want calm waters then I go to the river, or if I want to do the party-cove then I go to a different lake.

Darn now I'm gonna have to setup a sound monitor at a lake and just see how things really are. Not convinced that loud stereos are the problem at all but perhaps some individual being rubbed the wrong way because of some kid pimpin his dads 80k boat with a system.

ahhudgins
08-22-2012, 05:17 PM

That's the reason why I don't use my stereo. My neighbor BLASTS his stereo so loud that I'm scared to turn on mine as it might cause the "Brown Note" from the conflicting sound waves. :rolleyes:

Bob B
08-22-2012, 05:28 PM
So true. I have no problem with loud music on boats at our lake, as most have pointed out you have to be pretty close to even hear it. Only time it bothers me is when it is full of f-bombs, loads of kids on our lake and everyone who boats there knows it. Just common courtesy to keep it clean in that case if you are going to be running close to shore/cottages.

My boat doesn't have much of a stereo, yet but it sure gets played especially right before a skiing session. It gets turned down/off once the skier is up so the driver can hear the spotter and concentrate on keeping it straight in the course! If we are cruising the tunes are always on.

I guess Iím too old. I donít want to listen to your music!

GT500 MC
08-22-2012, 05:28 PM

Amen, brother......amen.

19_Skier
08-22-2012, 05:52 PM
I guess Iím too old. I donít want to listen to your music!

I was more referring to one's own music and you never know, maybe we have similar tastes in music :D;)

lettmeknow
08-22-2012, 06:03 PM
I dont have a probelm with loud music. I just dont see it being worth the money. If I had i big system I would use it once, think "yeah thats cool". Then never really use it again. Rather spend thousands of $$ on soemthing else.

TayMC197
08-22-2012, 06:14 PM
My 97 year old grandfather is hard of hearing, when he is barefooting long line he enjoys a little Sinatra jamming. I did my upgrade for the sole purpose of him. I hate that he has this disability but we can over come together with wattage. Problem solved....

TayMC197
08-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Unlike my stereo counterpart Kyle, I don't blast mine full volume all the time. I actually like being able to hear people in the boat when people fall. That and it helps me concentrate on driving or looking at a great rack in the observer seat.. never know. I do on occassion turn it loud but it is during a time that the crowd is requesting it.

TxsRiverRat
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Keep your GF out of my boat unless you want her to force you to upgrade your system buddy. She only thinks she likes your observer seat..... :D

baby steps, baby steps...

in order: upholstery, brake system rebuild, steering cable, throttle cable, and then we can talk stereo.

we will have a busy off season

MC

onewheat
08-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Mine goes up to ELEVEN. :D

JohnE
08-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I dont have a probelm with loud music. I just dont see it being worth the money. If I had i big system I would use it once, think "yeah thats cool". Then never really use it again. Rather spend thousands of $$ on soemthing else.

"Worth" is so subjective. I know I can have as much fun skiing behind a 20 year old $10K boat as I do my newer $75K boat. That was really a waste of money.:o But I somehow decided it was worth it.

Monteluna
08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
I live on a lake. I don't mind the music during the day, sounds like summer to me. But, just like I don't like the "thumping" rolling down the street after midnight, I surely don't like it putzing at no-wake speed past my back patio door, rattling the rails on some old pontoon boat!

hondaprlud
08-23-2012, 09:15 PM
My 97 year old grandfather is hard of hearing, when he is barefooting long line he enjoys a little Sinatra jamming. I did my upgrade for the sole purpose of him. I hate that he has this disability but we can over come together with wattage. Problem solved....

That was thoughtful.

CantRepeat
08-23-2012, 11:31 PM
LOL I love that

Kyle, I'm not "that guy" but when that guy shows up I can just fire up the XM7s and forget he ever showed up!!!

rgardjr1
08-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Kyle, I'm not "that guy" but when that guy shows up I can just fire up the XM7s and forget he ever showed up!!!

Good luck keeping up with this ... Remember the recession is over people!

petermegan
08-24-2012, 04:03 AM
I reckon you could rattle your head against them every time you got out of the seat like a xylophone. Wouldn't even have to turn them on to make a tune.:)

Kyle
08-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Good luck keeping up with this ... Remember the recession is over people!

Looks awefull.

I'm sure it sounds like crap because most people think that adding speakers makes it louder but they don't add power or run the power correctly.

Now I have seen a stereo shop do something similar to a boat before but they cut the floor of the boat out and installed the amps on the floor that were lit up with led's and then covered with thick Lexan glass. Had plenty of power to run everything and it was good and loud. The boat was just not practical anymore with slippery cabin floor being Lexan and every storage compartment being loaded full of batteries and tons of wire.

Ive also seen a boat similar stereo but a different brand sounded like absolute chit and looked like chit but it was a new boat. Older guy in 50's had the boat and dosent do any sport behind the boat but he could buy a stereo.

mzimme
08-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Kyle, didn't you know you have to have loud music to learn new sports?

Kyle
08-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Kyle, didn't you know you have to have loud music to learn new sports?

Isn't there a saying old dogs can't learn new tricks.

rgardjr1
08-24-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm sure it sounds like crap because most people think that adding speakers makes it louder but they don't add power or run the power correctly.

Shop that installed the system said the Arc Audio amps are outputting 15,500 watts. Not sure what it sounds like, but I'm sure you could do permanent damage to your hearing pretty quickly.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/432100_10151354964488868_1419589436_n.jpg

okxstar
08-24-2012, 03:28 PM
I dont think I see where some of you are coming from... Big stereo is a big waste of money because you wont get your money back when you go to resale it??? So on this theory a big/nice boat is huge waste of money cause your not going to get near all your money back when you resale it. Gonna lose considerably less money on stereo then you will your boat or just about anything else that goes along with it typically.

As you can guess, yes I have a fairly big stereo on our X-Star and we use it every weekend. We try to be as respectful as possible of other boaters by turning it down when we come to a stop or are going to pick up a fallen rider. I most certainly will not turn it down when a boat pulling tubers comes over and thinks they need our nice water for the tubing while we are trying to board. Have I pissed some people off with my stereo before probably, but they had probably pissed me off already by the way the operated their boat or the etiquette the showed around me. If you have a stereo at all on your boat, it doesnt take much to cover up a loud wakeboard boats stereo unless they are right next to you.

JohnE
08-24-2012, 03:50 PM
I dont think I see where some of you are coming from... Big stereo is a big waste of money because you wont get your money back when you go to resale it??? So on this theory a big/nice boat is huge waste of money cause your not going to get near all your money back when you resale it. Gonna lose considerably less money on stereo then you will your boat or just about anything else that goes along with it typically.

That was the point I was trying to make. I dont have any need or want for a huge stereo, but to condescend because "it's a waste of money" makes no sense when most of these boats are a waste of money. Mine included.

St1cky
08-26-2012, 10:48 AM
There was a Baja with twin 496's at the marina the other day and while he was only idling he was shaking everything at the ramp and then some. It was loud to the 10th power! I instantly thought of this ridiculous thread and wondered if there were ever a noise ordinance imposed for boating would this guy with the Baja be allowed to run his boat at the marina or maybe be forced to have a trolling motor within 600ft of shore, ya know, maybe mounted to the bow like a fishing boat. :)

I'm sure this guys annual fuel bill would dwarf any average wake boat stereo system. What a horrible investment! >:)

DH9441
08-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Im half deaf so I could care less about the boom anymore. However, my 6 past boats all were sold with HE stereo sytems. Deafness + Getting old = No longer boomer sound systems.

Brian B
08-26-2012, 12:20 PM
I couldnt live without a nice stereo in my boat! I had mine done a month into ownership. But, I also love music. I own roughly 2000 albums and music is a huge part of my life. Both my truck, and my STI have systems as well!

I rarely play it at the beach unless there is no other boat playing music. And when I do, I respect the crowd and try to cater whats played to kids, or older folks. When I'm riding, I play whatever I choose at whatever volume I chose. If you've been on the lake, when I was boarding, you've heard my stereo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFOqgbxxFcA&list=UURVT9QGq-aOjSjNNIwAWqHg&index=11&feature=plcp

Traxx822
08-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I couldnt live without a nice stereo in my boat! I had mine done a month into ownership. But, I also love music. I own roughly 2000 albums and music is a huge part of my life. Both my truck, and my STI have systems as well!

I rarely play it at the beach unless there is no other boat playing music. And when I do, I respect the crowd and try to cater whats played to kids, or older folks. When I'm riding, I play whatever I choose at whatever volume I chose. If you've been on the lake, when I was boarding, you've heard my stereo!

I agree with the above. I love music as much as I love watersports. Thats why I just ordered $2300 in all JL audio speakers (8) and amps (3) and 10" sub. Add install and all the monster cable a guy could want with an extra deep cycle and battery switch I'll be close to $4k. Well worth it to me to have the best of the best for music. No cheap stereo on my boat.

aswinter05
08-26-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm with ya there. Yesterday we parked up next to a 2007 Supra Launch 24 SSV (or something like that). This boat had 6 speakers in the cabin, 4 can speakers on the tower, and a 12 inch woofer under the driver console. It seemed like overkill to me but when it came down to it, the speakers weren't even all that loud.

Our prostar just has 4 speakers and an 8 inch woofer. I'm fairly confident our system was louder than the Supra when cranked at full volume.

In the end, I was very pleased we haven't invested a bunch of money into all those speakers like the Supra.

mzimme
08-26-2012, 03:13 PM
I agree with the above. I love music as much as I love watersports. Thats why I just ordered $2300 in all JL audio speakers (8) and amps (3) and 10" sub. Add install and all the monster cable a guy could want with an extra deep cycle and battery switch I'll be close to $4k. Well worth it to me to have the best of the best for music. No cheap stereo on my boat.

Monster cable actually is a waste of money, unlike a nice stereo.

Traxx822
08-26-2012, 07:50 PM

Why's that. I'm not exactly a cable pro and since I haven't bought any what you recommend?

JohnE
08-26-2012, 07:58 PM

I don't think that it an accurate statemtent. What is probably accurate is to say that buying Monster cable won't improve most of the systems that they are used on.

Cobra Rob
08-26-2012, 10:12 PM
I don't think that it an accurate statemtent. What is probably accurate is to say that buying Monster cable won't improve most of the systems that they are used on.

No it's accurate. You can buy better performing wire for MUCH MUCH MUCH less. Not that you need better. It's not a 'bad' product just WAY over priced when you can get the same or better for less.

Redstorm
08-27-2012, 12:09 AM
On the river today and there must have been literally 30 boats tied together. All their stereos were blasting and everyone was partying. I used to do it when I was younger but when I heard all the stereos blasting different music .....it was a music cluster@&$?. But Hey... they were having fun.

Traxx822
08-27-2012, 11:28 AM
recommended brand of cable?

mzimme
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Just get on Amazon and search for what you need (4 guage, 0 guage, 18 guage, RCA's, whatever). Any copper wire will be susceptible to corrossion, so keep the exposed wire to a minimum. Soldering connections at speaker terminals, or using a wire with treated copper to prevent corrossion would be ideal. There's really no need whatsoever to buy anything name brand when it comes to your power, ground, and speaker wires. Just get the correct guage wire and things will be fine. For RCA's, if you want to spend money on the expensive brands, that's the place to do it. All this "gold plating" marketing jargon is just an expensive way to spend money on stuff you don't need. You will not be able to tell the difference in a gold plated RCA opposed to non gold plated. Gold plated will resist corrosion however. Get a shielded wire if you're concerned with ground loop noise issues.

Earmark marine will probably have a better explanation here... but in my experience, expensive wiring kits are just that... expensive. I've never seen a difference in the 130 dollar Monster amp wiring kit vs the 25 dollar internet special from Pyramid... and I've used both.

Traxx822
08-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Just get on Amazon and search for what you need (4 guage, 0 guage, 18 guage, RCA's, whatever). Any copper wire will be susceptible to corrossion, so keep the exposed wire to a minimum. Soldering connections at speaker terminals, or using a wire with treated copper to prevent corrossion would be ideal. There's really no need whatsoever to buy anything name brand when it comes to your power, ground, and speaker wires. Just get the correct guage wire and things will be fine. For RCA's, if you want to spend money on the expensive brands, that's the place to do it. All this "gold plating" marketing jargon is just an expensive way to spend money on stuff you don't need. You will not be able to tell the difference in a gold plated RCA opposed to non gold plated. Gold plated will resist corrosion however. Get a shielded wire if you're concerned with ground loop noise issues.

Earmark marine will probably have a better explanation here... but in my experience, expensive wiring kits are just that... expensive. I've never seen a difference in the 130 dollar Monster amp wiring kit vs the 25 dollar internet special from Pyramid... and I've used both.

Sweet, thanks. I'll pass the info onto the installer. Although he is very thorough in his work I will just make sure to tell him this is the way I want it done. Yes, I was worried about the possible ground noise issues. Any need for a cap or anything? I'm only running one 10" sub and 8 6.5" cockpits all JL gear with 2 4channel and one single. with the extra deep cell battery on switch I didn't see a cap necessary. I think i'll just get it installed and deal with any sound issues after. Such as dynamat for rattles and other static issues if any. I'm pretty stoked as the parts all come in Wednesday. Doing the rub rail today.

TayMC197
08-27-2012, 01:59 PM
People say you don't get your money out of the stereo when you sale the boat. Last time I checked, all that stuff was bolt on. I take my stuff out that I want to keep for the next boat. If you can afford the boat and the options you want in it, then buy it. For me to tell anyone it's a waste of THEIR money, it's not my place. It's like me saying your wife is a ho and to not waste your time. She might be but you might like ho's, I'm a little find of them. Lol

Just say nice setup but it's just not for me. No need to smash on someone for what they like and do. Some opinions are best kept to yourself.

kgrove
08-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Some opinions are best kept to yourself.

Agree. Except for mine. Everyone needs to know my opinion.

Patrick Hardy
08-27-2012, 02:57 PM
recommended brand of cable?
I was told about this web site years ago from a fellow TT member and I have purchased from these guys the last few times: http://www.monoprice.com/
Great pricing, customer service, fast shipping and good product.
Check them out!

JRW160
08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
I have monoprice speaker wire and rcas running in my boat. I think I used stinger wire for the power and grounds for the amps.

TayMC197
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Agree. Except for mine. Everyone needs to know my opinion.

I don't consider your word opinion.. Its more prophecy.. Lol

Mgboyd25
08-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Trying to figure out how I can have a big screen tv playing at the same time as my tower speakers............... Because I like party

sp00ky
08-27-2012, 05:46 PM
You should start an oridinance to ban fishermen. Those pesky guys always come fishing around my dock, are always in the middle of a channel fishing in some "great area", or are always running 80mph. Get rid of the fishermen, they're annoying... so annoying... cry cry cry.

Seriously, who actually complains about people having their own good time on the water? Lakes are big, go somewhere else if people are bothering you.

Right on! To each his own and we already have TOO many laws, local bans, and BS local ordinances.

Traxx822
08-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Trying to figure out how I can have a big screen tv playing at the same time as my tower speakers............... Because I like party

I have seen pop up screens and portable projectors. Aux into your radio and you got your party with your big screen.

broncotw
08-27-2012, 09:42 PM
You know when I first acquired my 93 S&S earlier this year I had all kinds of plans to replace the existing system with a powerful one with two amps and four speakers.... Now that I have had the boat a few months, I think I will just replace the 4 speakers and head unit.... I LOVE the sound of the engine roaring and I think I would rather listen to that than some blaring stereo.....