PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading trailer wheels on 07?

Cobra Rob
08-22-2012, 01:24 PM
I need to get new tires for sure before my long haul but I was considering getting wheels as well.

I have seen a few of the new MC trailers with the XD monsters. The smallest they come in is 18" and I currently have 14". Is it even remotly possible to get a wheel/tire combination that would fit?

Forrest-X45
08-22-2012, 03:14 PM
I have seen it done before and visually it wasn't my preference. You will have to lift the trailer suspension so the taller and wider tire and wheel package will fit under the trailer fenders. Or you can customize the fenders to fit the new wheels and tires. The trailer I saw had to modify the the trailer suspension alot to make the 18" wheels and tires fit. Another option would be upgrading to the low-pro trailer package but it appears the wider polished SS fenders are intergrated into the MC trailer at the factory and won't replace your glass fenders.

It depends how much you want to undertake to make it work. I would suggest new tires only or look into new 14" or 15" wheels. But I get where you are coming from.....the low-pro trailers with 18" wheels look good.

Jason.H.
08-22-2012, 03:20 PM
For me, I wouldnt want low profile tires with big wheels on my trailer. Less cushion from little sidewalls, tires are more expensive, better chance of bending a wheel, will not add any value to resale. I think the aluminum 15" mastercraft wheels look pretty good though, maybe you could find some of those.

Cobra Rob
08-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah I have the 14" MC double spokes. I was just considering getting the XD Monsters for my truck so it would be cool to match... However, I think you guys are right. I will probably just replace the tires. I wish I could find a single matching wheel for my spare though. Those are super hard to find.

sand2snow22
08-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Yeah I have the 14" MC double spokes. I was just considering getting the XD Monsters for my truck so it would be cool to match... However, I think you guys are right. I will probably just replace the tires. I wish I could find a single matching wheel for my spare though. Those are super hard to find.

Rob, get some 15" wheels and tires and sell your old wheels & tires to folks on here that need them for spares. Pretty sure you could command some $$ to pay for your new set up.... Or just get new tires...

Cobra Rob
08-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Rob, get some 15" wheels and tires and sell your old wheels & tires to folks on here that need them for spares. Pretty sure you could command some $$ to pay for your new set up.... Or just get new tires...

I think I will just new tires and keep searching for a matching spare. Or just get a MC cover for the steely that's on there now. BTW I think I have the metal bearing covers I took a look at them.

Before I worry about selling the wheels I need to get my old speakers and cans sold :( should work on that tonight actually.

I do need to try and get the gell looked at and see what it's going to cost to get the big scratches I got on saturaday at the party fixed.. :(

Sodar
08-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Get the stockers chromed!!

Cobra Rob
08-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Get the stockers chromed!!

Hurmmmm.. Sounds interisting.. However, what the hell do you do with the trailer while you are waiting for the wheels to come back from chrome? Don't think you can just throw it up on some cinderblocks ghetto style.

Forrest-X45
08-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Hurmmmm.. Sounds interisting.. However, what the hell do you do with the trailer while you are waiting for the wheels to come back from chrome? Don't think you can just throw it up on some cinderblocks ghetto style.

Sure you can, that's what you are suppose to do over the winter anyway. I would recommend jack stands rather than cinderblocks. I used jack stands on my trailer for a month or so while I waited to have both port side wheels replaced by Sportboat that were bad. Just make sure you have the heavy duty stands.