PDA

View Full Version : worst leak ever

Traxx822
08-21-2012, 08:24 PM
So during the last couple weeks surfing with my boat I kept noticing water filling up my boat fast at 2200 rpm's just plowing water. about 5mph. At about 10mph not much water comes in and none on plane and almost none at idle. So I had no clue. My mechanic at the marina suggested the rub rail where the hull and deck come together may be leaking. I have the mid 90's maristar with the molded swim platform. Well I pulled the carpet back and watch this incredible video.

Haven't got the quote to fix it yet but it will get started on Monday. Until then no surfing ;(.

oh and my surf rope came in today fyi

http://youtu.be/mNDLPeEf1uw

snork
08-21-2012, 08:34 PM
wow, not good

mikeg205
08-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Yikes...that's a lot of water... good do it yourself and save a ton project.

took my rub rail off over the winter - resealed the deck to the hull with 3m 5200 - drilled out all the rivets - put new ones in and sealed them all with 3m 5200 - took all of 6 hours start to finish. 5200 is slow cure but it make a great seal - fast cure is 24 hours... getting the rub rail back on is easy..starts out slow.. heat gun and wooden spatula.. then you get the hang of it. Factory installer can do a rub rail in 20 minutes.

When you take out the rivets you can clean out the joint - get some 5200 up in the seam then put 5200 on the outside and inside....

coz
08-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Yup, that's a leak :( Hope you get that resolved quickly, good luck.

Traxx822
08-21-2012, 08:53 PM

took my rub rail off over the winter - resealed the deck to the hull with 3m 5200 - drilled out all the rivets - put new ones in and sealed them all with 3m 5200 - took all of 6 hours start to finish. 5200 is slow cure but it make a great seal - fast cure is 24 hours... getting the rub rail back on is easy..starts out slow.. heat gun and wooden spatula.. then you get the hang of it. Factory installer can do a rub rail in 20 minutes.

When you take out the rivets you can clean out the joint - get some 5200 up in the seam then put 5200 on the outside and inside....

My mechanic at the marina said he would fiberglass the whole thing. He said take all the screws out. Maybe on regular boats they are screws you are saying they're rivits so thats more project than I have time for. Do you have any advisement against fiberglassing the gap or is the product you suggested just that?

mikeg205
08-21-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't see it flexing..it just needs to be sealed up.... a little glassing would not be bad. the rivets are easy to remove and install. If you don't have the time I hope you don't get charged too much... Not a major problem to fix....just the joint loosened and the adhesive failed. Some repair shops use screws and sealant...that could work too...

mikeg205
08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
On my '95 the hull/deck union mildly leaked at it's widest area.. and 2 areas in on both sides before stern. When you ballast up for surfing - how low does your go. when you're running the water splashing up has some strong force. Now I have a dry bilge even if I ballast up.

ahhudgins
08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
I had the same problem with my Maristar 200VRS but not that bad, just a little damp carpet.
I pulled the carpet back on both sides and found that the joint hadn't been sealed all the way back, or not enough sealer. Fixed it myself in a few hours.

Here's my link:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40634&highlight=leak

Traxx822
08-22-2012, 06:38 AM
On my '95 the hull/deck union mildly leaked at it's widest area.. and 2 areas in on both sides before stern. When you ballast up for surfing - how low does your go. when you're running the water splashing up has some strong force. Now I have a dry bilge even if I ballast up.

Full ballast its about 4 inches under water maybe more. But then its only a slow leak. Only if I'm going 5mph and plowing water does this happen. About the only speed my rub rail is even touching the water. I mean its not that bad considering I have probably 200#'s in each locker right now and it is sitting in the water as we speak. I get hardly any water if not moving. Its at 2200rpm plowing water it rushes in like that.

I also noticed you have a 95 (so do I) and you live in Plainfield (so do I) where you boat at?

Traxx822
08-22-2012, 06:43 AM
I had the same problem with my Maristar 200VRS but not that bad, just a little damp carpet.
I pulled the carpet back on both sides and found that the joint hadn't been sealed all the way back, or not enough sealer. Fixed it myself in a few hours.

Here's my link:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40634&highlight=leak

I think you guys are right. I'll suggest to my mechanic to use sealant and not glass it up. I just see it cracking or causing problems later. My mechanic is pretty cheap so I'm not to worried about the bill.

mikeg205
08-22-2012, 08:10 AM
I boat in the illinois river in morris and in henry..or...always looking for people to ride with or tow.

Traxx822
08-22-2012, 09:53 AM
For sure. I'm in a slip at Big Basin in Channahon. Next to Mugz Hide out. Do you trailer down there? I stay away from Morris public launch due to the amount of conservation police. Between dresden and douglas locks I've seen them twice in 4 years. Not that i'm worried but they waste a lot of time.

And I prefer the harbor due to the current. Do you have a house down there?

MIskier
08-22-2012, 10:26 AM
I think you guys are right. I'll suggest to my mechanic to use sealant and not glass it up. I just see it cracking or causing problems later. My mechanic is pretty cheap so I'm not to worried about the bill.

There is nothing wrong with glassing the joint, it actually provides a stronger structure. To glass the entire hull/deck joint is going to be more time consuming and expensive though.

aquaman
08-22-2012, 11:18 AM

3M 5200 is amazing goo.........it will stick to anything.....forever. be careful with it. :)

Traxx822
08-22-2012, 11:31 AM
There is nothing wrong with glassing the joint, it actually provides a stronger structure. To glass the entire hull/deck joint is going to be more time consuming and expensive though.

I got off the phone with the marina and he said he felt that there was nothing wrong with glassing the whole thing but he would do whatever I wanted and it shouldn't be too much difference in price.

mikeg205
08-22-2012, 09:06 PM
For sure. I'm in a slip at Big Basin in Channahon. Next to Mugz Hide out. Do you trailer down there? I stay away from Morris public launch due to the amount of conservation police. Between dresden and douglas locks I've seen them twice in 4 years. Not that i'm worried but they waste a lot of time.

And I prefer the harbor due to the current. Do you have a house down there?

Folks have been getting sick at big basin this season..do you know too tall? Regarding the DNR they are looking for drivers under the influence... Funny this last sunday a guy at the morris dock was warning me about DNR hiding int he woods looking for drinkin' and boatin'....while he was launching his POS uncared for I/O. I have boated there for 3 years and never saw a DNR. Hope to get out this sunday and ski again..either in my boat or friends yellow moomba outback.

MC209
08-22-2012, 09:21 PM
not good at all!

mikeg205
08-22-2012, 09:25 PM
not good at all!

which part ...the getting sick part...or the DNR part...or the moomba part:D?

Traxx822
08-22-2012, 10:25 PM
which part ...the getting sick part...or the DNR part...or the moomba part:D?

Haven't heard anything about people getting sick. I stay on the Kankakee mainly. Pretty clean there. And the DNR is definitely hiding in the woods this year. I do not know too tall unless you're talking about the Steve character.

& I think he was talking about my leak ;)

mikeg205
08-22-2012, 10:28 PM
too_tall has a yellow X2 and used to put in at mugz's....

Traxx822
08-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh yeah I see him every weekend. He pulls a guy with one of those AirChairs. pretty cool. He's a nice guy. Always gives me a wave

Traxx822
08-30-2012, 04:59 PM
They must have cut these molds out with a chainsaw. I mean not that it matters because it gets covered by the rub rail but damn. They really beat it up.

Rub rail from Mastercraft in all black ... not really possible. So the best I found was some black on black rub rail that actually is from Ranger boats. I can't really get into all of the why I chose that but trust me its better than any other choice I had. Here is some progress.

Next time I see my boat ... no more leak and the all new JL audio stereo installed. All m series stuff. not the cheaper MX. amps sub tower speakers everything JL so i'm Very excited. Should be at $440 for 2 speakers.

Not so excited I chose over labor day weekend to have this done. No boat for me this weekend ;)