PDA

View Full Version : No Spark again.

ccowell
08-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Hey guys, weird thing is happening with my boat. It has been running great all summer until I let it sit for about a month (I know) . It would start up and run fine until I shut it off and then it wouldn't start back up for me. Changed the coil, plugs, points and condenser. Now i have spark but only when i open the points up to about a quarter inch, will it send the spark to the dist. I know that it is all electrical, the carb is working fine, and it runs fine when it will fire but i cant get the spark to go. Anyone else have a prob like this?

mikeg205
08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
which engine... whta year...pictures would help....

sxerob
08-21-2012, 03:14 PM
So... you have spark hitting the plugs, then the dist, which means you have it at the coil. First place its at has to be the points. You would work backwards to identify spark probs. Do you have proper clearance on your points? Is the mechanism functioning?

ccowell
08-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Sorry guys 79 S&S. Now I have no spark. There is power to the coil but it isn't going through the points. I just bought the coil, points, condenser and plugs yesterday. Does anyone know anything about how the dist is insulated? I also cleaned the base plate and now the spark is gone. Is the spark grounding itself out in the dist?

sxerob
08-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Do you have spark actually coming out of the sender on the coil? You can hook a test light up to ground and hold the point of it close to the coil while you have someone else (or you if you can reach the ignition) turn it over. You should see spark jumping the gap if the coil is good.

Are you getting the dist to open and close? Hook a test light up to the neg lead of the coil and turn the engine. If the dist is function properly you will get the light to flicker. If not, then you know that the dist/ignitor is not telling the coil to fire.

The stuff maybe new, but it might be reversed or not hooked up correctly.

madcityskier
08-22-2012, 11:17 PM
How much spark are you getting from the coil? Have you thrown a volt meter on it to be sure you're not getting a weak spark?

mcparadise
08-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Sorry guys 79 S&S. Now I have no spark. There is power to the coil but it isn't going through the points. I just bought the coil, points, condenser and plugs yesterday. Does anyone know anything about how the dist is insulated? I also cleaned the base plate and now the spark is gone. Is the spark grounding itself out in the dist?

Just because you got a new coil doesn't mean it's working. I got a new MSD Ignitor coil that arrived "failed."

ccowell
08-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey guys thanks for the help. Ending up buying a multimeter and tracing it done to a bad set of new points. Still have a gremlin in there somewhere but ill trace that one down later, After I ski.

sxerob
08-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Good time to get an electronic ignition system.