PDA

View Full Version : ZFT1 Tower Rack Issue

Tristar Racing
08-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Ok, owner of a MC for one day and my first help post, not a good sign haha!

Anyhow, here's the issue. I needed a bit more clearance to get in the garage, and correctly figured if I removed the wakeboard racks off my Zft1 tower it would clear. So I took one of the forks off, removed four bolts, and was able to slide the port side out no issues. The starboard side, not so much. It seems like it is hung up near the top of the rack. I loosened the uprights on the bottom of the support, and still couldn't get it to budge. I went to loosen the top, and found out the bolt heads are not exposed. All I can figure is they are behind the trim plate that the brace is bolted into. I am guessing that trim plate needs to pop out, but I would rather not screw it up.

Attached is a picture.

The green arrows show the bottom bolts I loosened in addition to the bolt I took out on the brace to see if that would help.

The blue arrow shows where the board rack is stuck and won't slide. (Actually, I drew the arrow wrong, it should be slid a bit more to the left on the actual rack)

The red arrow points to the plate that I assume the bolt heads are behind. The opposite side of the tower just has the bottom of the bolts exposed.

If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. Let me know if I need to attach more pictures.

Thanks

(Sorry if this should be in the tower section of the technical area, please move if so)

snork
08-21-2012, 04:09 PM
looks like a pair of swivel racks will do the trick

Tristar Racing
08-21-2012, 04:32 PM
looks like a pair of swivel racks will do the trick

Yep, very true. But for now, sliding the regular rack out will work. Hell, to install the swivel racks I would still have to get to the two bolt heads I can't access, haha!

snork
08-21-2012, 06:49 PM
that plate is held in with two sided tape shouldn't be too hard to remove

Tristar Racing
08-21-2012, 07:44 PM
that plate is held in with two sided tape shouldn't be too hard to remove

This was the info I was hoping to get. I had a feeling it was taped on with how it moves, but I wanted verification before I attacked it with a putty knife. I'll heat it up with a hair dryer, pry it, and update.

Thanks again!

snork
08-21-2012, 08:37 PM
if the putty knife doesn't work try a really thin feeler gauge .010 comes to mind

Tristar Racing
08-23-2012, 01:52 PM
I just wanted to close the loop on this. The trim piece was definitely held on with double sided tape, and the bolts I needed to loosen to get the rack unjammed were under the trim plate. Once I got the rack out, it looked like a small amount of corrosion or burrs on both front and back were keeping the rack from sliding. I took some sand paper and sanded the areas down, working to very fine grit. Now, it slides fine. All I had to do was tighten the tower back up and put the trim plate back on. One thing to note, the trim plate is has tape at the corners, so attacking it from the middle on the edges works best.

I am just posting this in case someone else has a similar issue and needs information in the future. By the way, almost dead on with the feeler gauge, I ended up using a 0.015.

Thanks again!

snork
08-23-2012, 08:45 PM
glad all is good in Chicago, enjoy your new ride

Tristar Racing
08-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Snork, do you know if these towers are clear coated or anything? I thought about that after I had to sand down some of the inner support and a few spots on the board rack.

Thanks

snork
08-27-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't think they are, I'd check with someone at MC in Tenn.