PDA

View Full Version : Very touchy steering???

Mike Ingram
08-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Out again and have noticed that my steering is berry very touchy. Will dart to right or left very easily with very little steering wheel movement and the steering is very easy to turn. Not sure if this is normal as this is my first inboard and I'm new to the mastercraft boats. Other boats ice had have been much stiffer turning. Just wondering.
Thanks

CCAnderson
08-21-2012, 01:55 PM
it is normal. think of an inboard like a sportscar and an I/O like the family cruiser. they are designed to perform differently.

mikeg205
08-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Oh yeah.. first day out on our prostar...we had a blast driving... it's almost like it's on a rail.

SeaCup
08-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Depends on what you mean by "dart" and "touchy". Just like a performance car, it should not dart or fell touchy but rather responsive to your input. I ran the OJ 161 rudder setup like on most of our boats for some years. Typical pull and when I would initiate a turn it would start out smooth but as I got deeper into the turn it pulled very hard, not correct for any boat IMO. I asked Eric if I could try the 160 style and what a difference it made. Holds very tight in any type of turn regardless of speed or direction. I'm sure yours is fine, you are just not used to it. And yes the steering wheel should be very easy to turn with little resistance. If not time for a new cable.