View Full Version : what are those things beneath the fuel cell ?

08-20-2012, 10:38 PM
I am new to inboards when I got a '76 Stars and Stripes. Given it's age, maybe not the best choice for a first inboard, but my family fell in love with it.

So, I'm slowly working though some overdue maintenance issues and learning new concepts along the way (such as a failed impeller on the second day out).

Today I started to notice some wetness in the rear, and bilged out an impressive amount of water. Opening up the covers in the rear (back on the boat lift), I noticed one side of the exhaust near the transom was quite wet (and evidence it has been wet before with mold). This was right around a section that was wrapped in an insulation and the insulation was soaked.

When I look in from the outside, through the flappers, I noticed a series of intersecting rubber baffles(?) . The 'wet' side's baffles seemed to be more deteriorated.

So, what are those things beneath the fuel cell? Conceivable that they Deteriorate and leak? Would you say it's likely I found my leak? Other possibilities?

I've found Engine manuals... where would someone find manuals for the rest of the boat? (a mastercraft PCM)

08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Sounds like you are referring to the mufflers. I had to replace mine several years ago before selling her.

08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
okay. I assumed they were doing some muffling function and/or keeping water out. But was thinking there would be a specific term for them. In my searches, I'd seen references to 'silencers'. I just wanted to be sure I was searching for the correct thing as I go off to order parts.

Relatedly, anyone with recommendations on best places to find parts or manuals for older boats like this '76 S&S ?