PDA

View Full Version : Romney is visiting my dad's manufacturing plant

mzimme
08-20-2012, 04:04 PM
I learned over the weekend that Romney and the GOP friends will be making a stop at my dad's business in Bettendorf, Iowa. The business was one started by my grandfather in a small shop and has since grown to a full capacity aluminum manufacturing plant that is a single source plant. They manufacture aluminum parts from the design/engineering portion, all the way through the machining and tooling process after the part is made. They do a lot of work for a lot of companies that you all are probably well aware of, some of which include Caterpiller, John Deere, Polaris, Victory Motorcycles, PCM, Ilmore, Indmar, BRP, New York Brake, Volvo, etc. The list goes on and on. Some parts that you all might use every every day include the flywheel cover on the older PCM 351's, strut housings on Polaris 4 wheelers, the cylinder heads on Polaris watercraft, the guts of the Volvo Penta outdrive, and a lot more.

Anyway, that's a little history of the company. It's one of those companies that things like the cap and trade act, and other taxes that are supposed to "help" the economy actually cripple the business. While their company employs around 150 people, it is still technically a small business, and as a result you can imagine the effects the Obama administration have had on the work that they do.

Somehow, and my dad really doesn't know how, the Romney campaign learned of their business and is having their rally there on Wednesday the 22nd. If you guys see any news footage of it, that's their plant! Makes me proud to see what my grandfather has built, and overcome in the years that this foundry has been around. It's been very good to our family not only as a source of income, but a sense of stability through a lot of hard times.

Check them out:
www.leclairemfg.com

News coverage:
http://qctimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/dear-mr-romney/article_ad2582a4-eae2-11e1-a0b3-0019bb2963f4.html

occva
08-20-2012, 04:25 PM
"one started by my grandfather in a small shop"

He didn't build that....:(

Good for your family. Hopefully just a few short months and business for everyone will pick up.

aquaman
08-20-2012, 04:32 PM
"one started by my grandfather in a small shop"

He didn't build that....:(

Good for your family. Hopefully just a few short months and business for everyone will pick up.

Hopefully in Nov. we will have a new occupant of the White House.....that should generate some new business for All.

Thanks to your dad for hosting Mr. Romneys group.

Double D
08-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Great story!! Congrats to them on building a business and making it work, with no government helping build it!! AMERICA!!

Sullivan
08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Awesome story, I love this. Wish I could be there.

2RLAKE
08-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Hopefully in Nov. we will have a new occupant of the White House.....that should generate some new business for All.

Thanks to your dad for hosting Mr. Romneys group.

Amen to that ... huge congrats to your family ... the one the actually built that business!

h2oskiluvr
08-21-2012, 08:32 AM
What a great story and I will be looking for the plant on the news.

I am very dismayed by the campaign approach of the Obama camp and how divisive he has been since he took over the White House. I am only in my forties but there hasn't been as low a point for the country as it has been this last year in my opinion.

Sadly, I am convinced Obama will win again this fall but hopefully enough people see the need to change. I suspect the small businesses like your families will breath a sigh of relief and get back to work.

maxpower220
08-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Wait, Romney is not coming there to close it down, send the work to China, and take away health care plus give everyone cancer????? That is what the ad on TV says. Just sayin.

CantRepeat
08-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Wait, Romney is not coming there to close it down, send the work to China, and take away health care plus give everyone cancer????? That is what the ad on TV says. Just sayin.

Romney has already done that to a few companies hasn't he?

toolz
08-21-2012, 11:23 AM

No, but while in control of Bain, he did save over 85% of their investments from bankruptcy, and saved thousands of jobs. Some companies can't be saved, but most were. Outstanding business record with American companies.

aquaman
08-21-2012, 11:38 AM
No, but while in control of Bain, he did save over 85% of their investments from bankruptcy, and saved thousands of jobs. Some companies can't be saved, but most were. Outstanding business record with American companies.

Romney understands the work ethic and financial responsibility. He is someone that does have an Outstanding business record .

He will not try to re-distribute the wealth ...and respects those that have built their Businesses w/out handouts from the government.

CO2006X-30
08-21-2012, 06:47 PM
They took our jobs!!!

sp00ky
08-21-2012, 09:56 PM
That's very cool and impressive I will be looking for it

mikeg205
08-21-2012, 10:33 PM
@MZIMME- congrats... you should be proud... get some pic's.

Whatever anyone's political slant is... having a presidential candidate visit your place of business is an honor! I don't care much for Obama, but I would never, never not miss an opportunity to personally meet the leader of this country or the next one.

Your family now has a place in history.... Now if you could get Mitt to ski a set on the Mississippi that would be cool.

ahhudgins
08-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Not only does Romney cause people to get cancer, he is also a huge racist. :rolleyes:

I can't believe that this clip hasn't gotten more coverage, the things that liberals say (and get away with) make my stomach turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCCFqsJz_b0

And yes, your family DID build that business!!!!

mzimme
08-21-2012, 10:55 PM
@MZIMME- congrats... you should be proud... get some pic's.

Whatever anyone's political slant is... having a presidential candidate visit your place of business is an honor! I don't care much for Obama, but I would never, never not miss an opportunity to personally meet the leader of this country or the next one.

Your family now has a place in history.... Now if you could get Mitt to ski a set on the Mississippi that would be cool.

I wish I could be there... I live in Kansas City unfortunately so I'm too far away to get there for it. I'm sure there will be pictures, however. I'll try to get my dad to send me some. If I was there, I'd definitely ask to take him for a pull. There's a boat ramp/park literally right behind the building not more than 100 yards from the plant. I could have the boat waiting haha.

Ryan
08-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Not only does Romney cause people to get cancer, he is also a huge racist. :rolleyes:

I can't believe that this clip hasn't gotten more coverage, the things that liberals say (and get away with) make my stomach turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCCFqsJz_b0

And yes, your family DID build that business!!!!

Toure had quite the change in tone when SE Cupp (kudos to her) called him out for being dishonest and irresponsible for his comments. Then Toure's appology is just for using the N word. Heaven forbid he take accountability for his dishonest comments against Romney.

mzimme
08-22-2012, 01:04 PM
The 350 seats set up filled in under 20 minutes. Standing room only at this point, and the rally doesn't start for another hour. 1000+ people are expected to be in attendance.

mzimme
08-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Some pictures from the rally:

ahhudgins
08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
I love the banner "We Did build it".

Granite_33
08-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Interesting take on the election expectations.

If you live your life in government, the only solution you will ever be able to come up with is more government.

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2012/08/22/analysis-election-factors-points-romney-win-university-colorado-study-says

mikeg205
08-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Interesting take on the election expectations.

If you live your life in government, the only solution you will ever be able to come up with is more government.

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2012/08/22/analysis-election-factors-points-romney-win-university-colorado-study-says

great read - thanks for posting.

SkiDog
08-25-2012, 04:57 PM

Easy there Mod Boy!