PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Rotala Tire Delamination (YIKES)

bjames
08-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Heading to the lake this weekend and felt a minor vibration. Felt like a wheel out of ballance. Thinking i just lost a wheel weight (off one of my brand new 4 truck tires), I pulled over to the side of the hyw. Everything looked good, then checked the trailer tires and saw this.

The tread just peeled away. Infact from the last pic, you can see that I can actually peal back the tread from the core around most of the tire, there appeared to be no bondage between the tread and core. I was told I may have been seconds from a more disasterous outcome. My dealer lent me a brand new spare until mine gets replaced.

BTW, Tire pressure is good and still is as the tire never lost any air and I had the cruise set to 100kph (10kph less than posted limit, just because the boat was uncovered :))

GT500 MC
08-20-2012, 03:57 PM
That looks bad. Definitely could have been a lot worse.
You're having all sorts of issues with that new rig---now the gremlins have moved into your trailer.

bjames
08-20-2012, 04:10 PM
That looks bad. Definitely could have been a lot worse.
You're having all sorts of issues with that new rig---now the gremlins have moved into your trailer.

:D as long as they dont move onto my truck. But, I do hope their done with the boat.

mzimme
08-20-2012, 04:23 PM
You have your dealers phone number memorized yet??

bjames
08-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Memorized it last year. Funny thing is, about a month ago or so, my dealer (service) department called me saying they havent heard from me in a while and wanted to know how the boat was doing. Its like even they were surprised to not have heard from me over a span of 3 weeks :D

JTNG
08-20-2012, 04:40 PM
That Sucks! For the amount of problems you have had, thats just another hard poke. Thank god you bucked up for the $450 spare tire and wheel.:D

Jim@BAWS
08-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Memorized it last year. Funny thing is, about a month ago or so, my dealer (service) department called me saying they havent heard from me in a while and wanted to know how the boat was doing. Its like even they were surprised to not have heard from me over a span of 3 weeks :D

Its called being PROACTIVE!

FrankSchwab
08-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Coincidentally, while putting my cover on the boat this weekend I noticed that my spare had delaminated (tread area was raised an inch or so out of round), and the sidewall split.

This is a two year old tire that's never touched asphalt.

/frank

bjames
08-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Coincidentally, while putting my cover on the boat this weekend I noticed that my spare had delaminated (tread area was raised an inch or so out of round), and the sidewall split.

This is a two year old tire that's never touched asphalt.

/frank

Is it a Rotalla F170 ?? If so, you should take photos and post. A guy at my dealer (whom used to work as a vehical mechanic has NEVER seen anyone bring in a tire fully inflated with half the tread missing and the the fact that it appears that there is absolutly NO BONDAGE between the tread and core. This is like the famous Bridgestone/Firestone recall from a few yeasr ago.:eek:

Im kind of concerned about the other tires on the trailer.

mzimme
08-20-2012, 05:42 PM
After seeing that, I'd insist on new tires. Especially if the manufacturing date stamp is the same as the one that went to hell.

Jonb1822
08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Bjames I feel for ya. I love your boat, but hate you have had all these issues. I hope things calm down for you.

bjames
08-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks... It just seems bad luck has a way of finding me, when it comes to MC boats.

jhall0711
08-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Is it a Rotalla F170 ?? If so, you should take photos and post. A guy at my dealer (whom used to work as a vehical mechanic has NEVER seen anyone bring in a tire fully inflated with half the tread missing and the the fact that it appears that there is absolutly NO BONDAGE between the tread and core. This is like the famous Bridgestone/Firestone recall from a few yeasr ago.:eek:

Im kind of concerned about the other tires on the trailer.

That was related to an underinflation issue..... If you had good pressures set where recommended that is a real stumper......

Glad you caught it... could have been a bad day...

FrankSchwab
08-21-2012, 12:23 AM
That was related to an underinflation issue..... If you had good pressures set where recommended that is a real stumper......

Glad you caught it... could have been a bad day...

If you're referring to the Firestone Wilderness AT recall on Ford Explorers back around the turn of the millennium, no, it wasn't an underinflation issue. All four of the tires on my Explorer were separating at the time - you could stick a small metal ruler 2-3 inches under the tread through the cracks in the sidewall. And I always inflated them to 32 psi cold, as opposed to Ford's 26 psi. I used them hard (I was into hang gliding at the time, so they saw a lot of dirt roads, and a lot of highway miles in the Arizona heat), but to have all four of them separating simultaneously was mighty suspicious. Put some Michelin LTX's on, and never looked back.

/frank