PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw recommendations

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Looking at buying a new 10" table saw. Currently looking at Delta, Jet, and a saw manufactered in Canada called General. Any one here do any wood working and be able to give their opinions??? :popcorn:

MarkP
09-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I like my Jet, but I don’t think you could go wrong with Delta. I don’t know about the General saw. When you do make up your mind I would suggest going with a saw that has the or at least an optional set of cast extension or “wings” as opposed to the stamped tin ones. Also its usually best to upgrade the fence. I know that Jet has several to choose from.

Are you looking for something to take to job sites or to stay at the shop? This is my saw, http://www.southern-tool.com/store/contractor_saws_cast_iron_wings.html (http://www.southern-tool.com/store/contractor_saws_cast_iron_wings.html) .. The only thing I would have done different is bought it with the better fence..

ktn_cmu
09-01-2005, 12:19 PM
My grandpa gave me his old craftsman and I don't have experience with any others. But I will tell you, don't skimp a few dollars here and there just cause you gotta fill up the tank in the car. :) You'll regret it if you get less than what you need. I can't complain as mine was free, but I'll upgrade fairly soon. I think both Jet and Delta make a good product, me, I'd probably go with the Jet.

gene dobies
09-01-2005, 12:21 PM
iIf you are looking at portable. Rigid makes a very nice one. I have it. Solid, on wheels with handle, folds down to sit on back of truck. Could be used on tailgate. Has a slow start motor to keep amps down on startup.

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm leaning towards the Delta right now. It has a 1 3/4 HP motor, Biesemeyer Fence, full cabinet, and a table extension for under $1,000.

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 12:27 PM
iIf you are looking at portable. Rigid makes a very nice one. I have it. Solid, on wheels with handle, folds down to sit on back of truck. Could be used on tailgate. Has a slow start motor to keep amps down on startup. I saw that portable at Lowes and really liked it! But I'm looking for something stationary...........I really don't expect to be hauling this thing around. Main reason I'm buying is to make some custom cabinets for the new houseboat.

jake
09-01-2005, 01:08 PM
I'd consider this one. It's a contractors saw, but as in boats you get what you pay for. I'd rather have a basic Powermatic than a tricked out Delta. Also, that accu-fence system is really nice.

It's about the same price as that Delta, from Amazon.com Toolcrib.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005OQM6/qid=1125594596/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/102-8157861-2600107?v=glance&s=hi

gene dobies
09-01-2005, 01:09 PM
I saw that portable at Lowes and really liked it! But I'm looking for something stationary...........I really don't expect to be hauling this thing around. Main reason I'm buying is to make some custom cabinets for the new houseboat.

Good for you Mag. If I had the room for a permanent setup I would have chosen something like the Delt. That is the best way to go if you have the room.

maristarman
09-01-2005, 01:23 PM
What about a "Mastercraft"? :D

Rockman
09-01-2005, 01:27 PM
I do alot of wood working and have a small portable Delta that is really good. That one goes with me everywhere.

I do have a contractor's Craftsman table saw in the garage. It is about 4 years old and that is really good. It has the cast iron sides, etc. Only thing it doesn't have is a large side area...I thing mine is about 36 inches. The bigger sides, the better.

Both saws will do the job. The main thing is to ask yourself what are you going to cut?

We make alot of bean bag boxes, cutting 3/4 inch plywood 24 inches by 36 inches so the Craftman gets alot of use. I use the Delta for smaller items and more finishing items since the blade is easy to change.

If you are looking at a big stationary one, like someone had said before, get the cast iron sides or something this heavy duty because larger sheets of wood get heavy and it's nice to just drop them on the table and go.

Of course, the more hp, the better also. Just to keep in mind...

Hope my :twocents: helps.

jake
09-01-2005, 01:52 PM
MarkP, I know you're a woodworker...back me up here. Powermatic is the "Mastercraft" of the power tool world.

BTW, mark...havent forgotten about the teak. Sorry for the delay, I'll get on it.

MarkP
09-01-2005, 02:09 PM
I agree, Jake. Powermatic makes some of the most solid tools I have seen..

And of course, with any of them you can add a mobile base to eliminate the need for a large dedicated shop area.. http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/SEARCH.exe?ADS=&SEARCH=130170&OLDINDEX=C2005081848694253090&JUMPTO=118&SHOWCOUNT=15&RESTRICTCATEGORY=on&RESTRICTBRAND=on&RESTRICTDESCRIPTION=on&RESTRICTHEADLINE=on&RESTRICTCOPY=on&SEARCHMODE=1&LC=130.020

OhioProstar
09-01-2005, 02:28 PM
I have the Delta from Lowes that you were looking at and it works pretty well for smaller projects. Like Rockman said if you are going to run off some large sheets of plywood or anything larger than maybe 4'x4' you are going to need help ripping the sheets down. My dad made a pretty sweet extension on his to handle large sheets. I guess it boils down to what you are doing. BTW setup of the Delta was a snap...about 30 minutes.

captkidd
09-01-2005, 03:51 PM
I have a relatively inexpensive Craftsman saw that I don't use very often, so I couldn't justify a more expensive saw. I don't know much about them, but my Dad told me that the Rigid "professional" saws sold at Home Depot have lifetime warranties. Might be something to consider.

André
09-01-2005, 04:17 PM
I would trust anything made by Ridgid tools.
But got to say that General make very good woodworking machinery...
Craftman owner here,a bit weak, but for the price and warranty...

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 05:01 PM
I would trust anything made by Ridgid tools.
But got to say that General make very good woodworking machinery...
Craftman owner here,a bit weak, but for the price and warranty...The Ridgid was yellow and black :D I believe, so if I was trying to match the boat it would be a no brainer. I didn't like the fact it didn't have a full cabinet. The General was a really hefty piece and I liked the side vent for the saw dust collector. Jet had a slick sliding miter table......which was extra, and no full cabinet. I liked the extra 1/4 HP of the Delta and the carriage was very substantial. They said you could set a penny on the base and it would even vibrate off......really a smooth running unit. I don't think I could really go wrong with any of these.

JimN
09-01-2005, 06:15 PM
This has been discussed to death at www.taunton.com where you can click on Knots Discussion. They have various topics and there are literally hundreds of posts on table saws. Keep in mind that Delta, Powermatic, Grizzly, Jet and a lot of other brands have their saws and other power tools made in the same factories in China, but the fit, finish and other specs are up to what the seller wants to pay for and offer to their customers. Also, Delta, Black and Decker, Porter Cable and DeWalt(among others) are under the same company nowand there are only a few other companies that are owned by whoever they were previously.

FWIW, I have a Grizzly G-1023S with the 7' rails on a Shop Fox mobile base and an extension table to the right of the table that has my router in it. It's 3 HP, 220V and has a pretty decent fence, but I am going to replace the faces aince they're HDPE and tend to "grow" when it gets really hot. This causes waviness along the fence and leads to innacuracy. It's rock solid as far as adjustment, though. I put the rails on 2 winters ago and haven't touched the adjustments since, and I made my kitchen cabinets on it. My blade is a Forrest Woodworker ll, 40 tooth and I have a couple of other blades for cutting wood that may have metal or abrasive stuff in it. Personally, I think this saw offers a lot for the money. Grizzly has periodic sales, too and they have a full catalog online at www.grizzly.com

Most common saws are Delta clones, but I have been hearing about some customer service issues. They may have been from the customers not being explicit, not understanding something or expecting the world, though. I have a morticing attachment for my drill press and the chisel holder broke, so when I called to ask about a replacement, whoever I talked to sent a new one out without ANY hassles at all.

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 06:35 PM
3 HP! :worthy: That's a damned commercial unit! Way more saw than I'll ever need.

JimN
09-01-2005, 07:15 PM
How much do you want to spend on a saw? The blade can't be sharp enough and there isn't a good reason to skimp on power. Both situations are unsafe.

If you do occasional cutting, you could get a decent contractor saw without the cabinet underneath and some have pretty decent dust collection/removal capability. Go to the Taunton site and see what people are asking/saying. You may even be able to find something on ebay or locally.

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 07:34 PM
How much do you want to spend on a saw? The blade can't be sharp enough and there isn't a good reason to skimp on power. Both situations are unsafe.

If you do occasional cutting, you could get a decent contractor saw without the cabinet underneath and some have pretty decent dust collection/removal capability. Go to the Taunton site and see what people are asking/saying. You may even be able to find something on ebay or locally.Looking on spending under $1,000. I like the cabinet underneath..........part of the neat freak coming out in me. I have a radial arm saw on legs, and even with the dust collection, sawdust gets in every nook and crannie.....drives me nutz I tell you!.

Brian
09-01-2005, 08:35 PM
1 3/4 hp isn't much. I had a 3hp unisaw similar to what you posted earlier w/ the full base. Used it for 5 yrs steady. Heavy, low vibration, and most important to me quiet. The fence was dead accurate, extensions easy to assemble, hardwoods cut like butter and one pass on the jointer afterward was all it took to clean an edge for glue ups (wouldn't do glue ups with out a jointer unless your going w/ paint grade cabinets. I've seen them as cheap as 1600.00 and if it's just for remodeling you can most likely flip it for 1350.00 in a couple years. as for the cabinet that was sort of a pain in the a**. it's amazing how little you have to cut to fill that space up (dust collection suggested, cabinet or not you'll have dust. All the really fine stuff that goes everywhere :mad: ).

when I sold my last house I sold my saw because I was strapped for storage space, while building the new one I tried the 500.00+ makita, a dewalt (quite nice for what it offers, yellow and black) and lastly a rigid (orange and silver at the time) my oppinion worst of the bunch, out of the box cut was out of square and the noise that came out of it was LOUD!!!.

Powermatic is, to me, equivelant to slightly better (especiallly equipped w/ a sliding table). not really marketed where I am but very nice

most important (to me)... amperage, stability and accuracy.

Good Luck with your project

jake
09-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Brian added an important note. Amperage. Not all hp are equal. Also pay attention to what JimN said about blades. The best saw will cut like crap without a good blade on it. I like JimN's Forester recommendation, good quality for the $$. If you're going to be cutting sheet goods (which I assume you will be doing if you're building cabinets), and especially if you'll be crosscutting veneer, make sure you get a good cross-cut blade (thinner curf and offset leading edges). You can rip with a crosscut blade, but it's tough to crosscut with a standard rip blade.

A bench saw (cabinet below) is not going to improve dust collection capability substantially. You can buy dust bag attachments to go below a contractor saw making them basically equal. The contractor saw will be easier to move (if you ever have to) and should be just as sturdy when it comes to dropping 4/8 stock down on it as long as the table and extensions are supported well.

No matter how good your dust collection system is, you will get a ton of dust all over the place with a table saw....just the way it is. You simply can't move enough air volume through the ~1/8 inch saw curf to pull all the dust down. Much of it is going to fly all over the place. But that's half the fun of woodworking;-)

JimN
09-01-2005, 09:31 PM
If the saw is sealed except where you want the air to flow, a dust collector will get a lot of the fine stuff. I got a cheap 2HP collector from Harbor Freight and I don't need to clean much at all, even after cutting my brains out all day. I used to clean my whole garage every time I used my saw before the collector.

The Grizzly G1023S is on sale now for $895 and, like I said before, they have contractor saws that are a lot easier to move, but may still have a dust chute.

I have a dedicted 220V circuit for my saw and another for my compressor. The 3HP/220V motor really has some 'nads and I have used my jointer a lot less than I expected to. The saw leaves a smoother edge than the jointer, but I think the jointer needs a little bit of tweaking.

BriEOD
09-01-2005, 10:07 PM
JimN is their anything you don't do or know about man? I've seen you talk about engines, high tech cameras, stereo equipment, co-ax cable and now wood working. I am impressed. You are a man's man my friend!! :worthy:

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 10:28 PM
JimN is their anything you don't do or know about man? I've seen you talk about engines, high tech cameras, stereo equipment, co-ax cable and now wood working. I am impressed. You are a man's man my friend!! :worthy:Yeah...he's a regular Mr. Know It All :D

Workin' 4 Toys
09-02-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm leaning towards the Delta right now. It has a 1 3/4 HP motor, Biesemeyer Fence, full cabinet, and a table extension for under $1,000.
I went with the 3 HP. 52" BM fence. It has more than enough 99%, but there was times the 5HP could have helped. It is smooth.

oxmach
09-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi Mag, I have to go with alot of the others on this one. I had a 1 1/2 hp table saw, it did a good job, but you had to work at it.
I went with the 3hp Delta Unisaw about 6 years ago, and have never regreted it. I work out of my basement, so dust collection is critical. My suggestion is the Unisaw, 52" fence and a Forester WWII blade.
It is money well spent. I've done a few kitchens many entertainement units etc. Mostly use Maple, Cherry and Ash, and the saw cuts like butter. I would argue that with the power and stability of the saw, it is actually safer to use than many on the market.
For dust collection, I use a 4" duct on the bottom to a small cyclone set up and an overhead blade guard (Excalibur) which has a dust port on it connected to a shop vac. Much of the dust gets driven down below by the blade and collector but if you are ripping the blade guard collection really is the cats a**.
Good luck on your decision.

Brn85ss
09-02-2005, 10:55 AM
I also have the Delta unisaw with the b/m fence.Be careful Delta now makes two types one is still made in the U.S. and the other one is the pic. you posted,made in China!It's about half the price of the U.S. model.Probably still a good saw.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I also have the Delta unisaw with the b/m fence.Be careful Delta now makes two types one is still made in the U.S. and the other one is the pic. you posted,made in China!It's about half the price of the U.S. model.Probably still a good saw.
As I have heard I believe the issue at hand is now Delta/porter cable is now owned by Dewalt. And they don't care where their tools ar built. They have stuff built all over the world. I have inquired with Dewalt where their tools are built, and they sent me a list!! I don't still have the list, but it was interesting to know they had them built everywhere at the time. This might have been a few years ago. Not sure what they do now. The 3 and 5hp's at the local shop still have MADE in USA tags on them, but who knows how long they will be able to keep those tags on.

zberger
09-02-2005, 02:27 PM
my dad has a delta.. it works great for everything we use it for..

cuts 1/2 inch MDF great..

Cary K.
09-02-2005, 02:30 PM
cuts 1/2 inch MDF great..

So does my pocket knife, lol !!!

As a woodworker by trade, I suggest Delta, Powermatic, Jet, or Grizzly.

André
09-02-2005, 02:34 PM
So does my pocket knife, lol !!!

As a woodworker by trade, I suggest Delta, Powermatic, Jet, or Grizzly.
As a woodworker by...hobby,i hate MDF 8p
(where's that puking emotion when you need it ...)

M-Funf
03-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Mag,
You ever decide on a table saw? I just bought the Powermatic 14" bandsaw. It's awesome! I jumped on a deal they had that included a riser block and a $100 rebate from Powermatic...

I don't know what you'll be able to find from them under a thou...

CarlosCabanas
03-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Nobody mentioned anything on here about the SAW STOP table saw. Cuts wood but stops instantly when you stick your finger into the blade!

http://www.sawstop.com/

CarlosCabanas
03-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Then again you can save a couple of thousand and just not stick your fingers where the blade is!!:rolleyes:

M-Funf
03-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Nobody mentioned anything on here about the SAW STOP table saw. Cuts wood but stops instantly when you stick your finger into the blade!

http://www.sawstop.com/

They have one of these at our local shop. I saw the demo. Pretty cool, but I think you said it best...just keep your fingers away from the blade.

Of course, if it will reduce workman comp. costs, I'm sure lots of shops will buy them...:cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Then again you can save a couple of thousand and just not stick your fingers where the blade is!!:rolleyes:
I'd prefer this method....I know it works on bologna and hot dogs, but I haven't seen the video of someone sticking their finger on the blade while it's running.
Has anyone looked into these? How much does it cost to "reset" it? Let's say it goes off accidentally, or misfires.

JimN
03-30-2007, 09:14 AM
You need to replace the blade and the cartridge when it fires, so whatever the blade costs and about $85 for the cartridge. I haven't heard of any misfires but there is a bypass switch for cutting extremely wet wood or non-ferrous metals. There's no "resetting" it- the blade is toast and so is the aluminum block.

"Hey Joey, come here. We need you to do something, but don't tell mom about this.)"

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Years ago I remember (and my memory isn't great) reading about this contraption. I thought at first he used a piece of "plastic" or "rubber" like material to stop the blade. And the "safety" mechanism was toast after it was fired. Sort of like an airbag but not. It must have gone through some changes. Or someone else was working something similar.