PDA

View Full Version : My Zombie's death...

wrobins1
08-20-2012, 10:40 AM
I know that a picture is worth a thousand words so here...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=736&pictureid=4369

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=736&pictureid=4367

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=736&pictureid=4370

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=736&pictureid=4371

I titled this as my zombie because the list of things I have done to get this boat back up to factory condition are EXTENSIVE....

LTWon
08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. If you don't mind me asking what happened!? I hope no one was injured etc.

mzimme
08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Sooo.... what happened? Spill it.

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Oh wow....

fstaslp
08-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Wow, did you hit something and take out the fin and then beach it to keep it above water?

Brian B
08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Or the skag got buggered beaching it..........

Sorry to hear!

Is that a 30?

wrobins1
08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Submerged TREE!! running up the lake on the way in and saw it about 5 feet off the bow and pulled it into netural hoping to save the propeller which I guess kind of worked... (softly crying)

aquaman
08-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Thats BAD.

Did the prop and shaft take a hit too ?

Brian B
And how to you get it back to the ramp? A series of pumps I presume?

Brian B
Thats BAD.

How did the last fin get hit.....and not the first ??

Its the forward fin

aquaman
08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Its the forward fin

i see now.

mzimme
08-20-2012, 10:51 AM
So after you hit the tree did you just try to get it to shore so you didn't sink it? How fast was water rushing in?

wrobins1
08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
02 x-star

kind of wondering what insurances experiences everyone can share? trying to figure out what it takes to total it because I worry about the problems that will arise later because of it being submerged.

19_Skier
08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
That is tough to look at, so sorry to see/hear. Sounds like a pretty stressful situation, some quick thinking to get it beached. Like others, curious how you got it back to the ramp.

mikeg205
08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Sorry to read and glad to not read about injuries....

wrobins1
08-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Yes I drug it on shore to prevent having to dive for it. The water filled to the level it stopped at in problem less than 2 minutes. When we hit the engine died and I cussed loudly then wife said what do we do now I ran to the back and felt the new dripless gland and it was still in tack but I could hear the water rushing in. Went to the little black access panel and unscrewed it and by this time the water was already high enough to start bubbling through and starting to cover the carpet at this point. I ran to the bow and grabbed the dock line tied to bow eye and dove in. Lucky enough that the dock line was long enough to make it close enough to shoreso that I could stand up and pull the boat when standing on the bottom. I am thankful that I was able to keep it from sinking because it gave us a base to wait in… Took about a mi walk to find enough signal to send text messages out to get a ride off the lake. Then the ride was about 2-3 hours out.

wrobins1
08-20-2012, 11:14 AM
I have no clue how they got it off the lake. The marina basically did it as a favor for me with an understanding that they are billing me. SCAREY THOUGHT PRICING SALAVAGE RATES ON THE INTERNET... but I could not just leave it there all weekend and I was in a wedding on Sat. rehearsal was Fri. night three hours away from the house this is part of the reason I started the tread because I would like to know how insurance companies treat these types of screanios. I was not going to leave that boat out there leaking into my favorite lake.

aquaman
08-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Quick thinking saved it from sinking.

She can be fixed.

Any idea what you hit ?

mzimme
08-20-2012, 11:16 AM
He said he ran over a submerged tree.

wrobins1
08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I am hoping that the insurance company totals it because I know that it will never be the same. I mean it sat in the water like you see in the pictures for at least 12-48 hours.

76S&S
08-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry this had to happen. Good luck with the insurance.

A friend sunk his Moomba, rebuilt the motor and it is still going 3 years later.

wrobins1
08-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Sorry this had to happen. Good luck with the insurance.

A friend sunk his Moomba, rebuilt the motor and it is still going 3 years later.

did your friend have insurance? What did they do/offer?

east tx skier
08-20-2012, 11:42 AM
So you hit this tree, which pulled the front skeg off. Did the skeg pull out part of the hull with it?

wrobins1
08-20-2012, 11:56 AM
So you hit this tree, which pulled the front skeg off. Did the skeg pull out part of the hull with it?

The hull pushed through with skeg...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=736&pictureid=4372

aquaman
08-20-2012, 11:58 AM
He said he ran over a submerged tree.

yes he did....i missed that.

it would be more common to say you hit a stump or a log ? no?

a submerged tree is ......well.....rare. :rolleyes:

hondaprlud
08-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Well, I hit something underwater in July. My insurance is Boat US. I had damage to the strut, prop, and the rudder was ripped completely off. We took on water but NOTHING to the extent you did. We never had water above the carpet. My estimate didn't include any electrical, engine parts. But they did have to pull the engine to repair the hull then re-install. I'm still a little worried about future issues because the bottom 1/3 of the engine did have water on it, but I've asked a dozen times about this and my dealer doesn't seem to think it's an issue.

You have much larger problem. I would probably push to total it. I know it's a shame.

We didn't pay for a tow, but my insurance would have covered one if we did.

Thrall
08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm sure it CAN be fixed, but like you, I'd push for a total loss. Wouldn't want a sunk boat back.
Good luck in your pursuit there. Glad noone was hurt.

76S&S
08-20-2012, 12:28 PM
did your friend have insurance? What did they do/offer?

Yes, he did have insurance. They totaled it out, wrote him a check and let him keep the boat.

Not sure who his insurance was with.

TayMC197
08-20-2012, 12:33 PM
I think you will be good either way. If they total it awesome. if the don't, you weren't in salt water and you really have minimal hull Damage. Motor, needs to be drained and flushed with replacing your basic electrical components. I think you will be okay. From what I can see, I'd estimate about 5,000 in damage... So it depending on what else is trashed, I think it will be hard to have it totaled... you'd of been better off to let it sink...

Sorry for you loss though, thats terrible. I just hope everyone is okay.. Could of easily been worse. Uncle hit a sand bar in the red river last year in his 04 xstar.. a few people were ejected and one person broke his ribs and kneck when he flew from the back cover and hit the windsheild. he is okay now for the record.

tommyadrian5
08-20-2012, 01:42 PM
I agree, the best way to guarantee it would get totaled would be to have let it sink. You saved alot of wiring/electronics by towing it to land, which will probably be the difference between total and repair.

Then again, the fiberglass can be repaired and the engine rebuilt to basically new, so it isn't the end of the world. I'd try to get the interior carpet replaced as well.

wrobins1
08-20-2012, 01:49 PM
I agree, the best way to guarantee it would get totaled would be to have let it sink. You saved alot of wiring/electronics by towing it to land, which will probably be the difference between total and repair.

Then again, the fiberglass can be repaired and the engine rebuilt to basically new, so it isn't the end of the world. I'd try to get the interior carpet replaced as well.

part of the reason I called it my zombie is because the carpet through the 3/4 of the boat, same 3/4 that was under water, was replaced less than 6 mo ago...

hondaprlud
08-20-2012, 03:24 PM
I think you will be good either way. If they total it awesome. if the don't, you weren't in salt water and you really have minimal hull Damage. Motor, needs to be drained and flushed with replacing your basic electrical components. I think you will be okay. From what I can see, I'd estimate about 5,000 in damage... So it depending on what else is trashed, I think it will be hard to have it totaled... you'd of been better off to let it sink...

Sorry for you loss though, thats terrible. I just hope everyone is okay.. Could of easily been worse. Uncle hit a sand bar in the red river last year in his 04 xstar.. a few people were ejected and one person broke his ribs and kneck when he flew from the back cover and hit the windsheild. he is okay now for the record.

I bet it's a lot more than that. My repair was $6500 and the water never came over the carpet. No engine parts were being replaced.

rhsprostar
08-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Yikes....Sorry for the loss.......how fast were you going when you hit? What was the diameter of the log?

Quinten
08-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Sorry for you're loss.

You can let the engine rebuild, let it get a complet revision and a good oil bath, and let them make the eninge dry. The oil is so it doesn't rust.
Good luck with it.
Try to get total or let it repair (is possible I think), but don't wait to long on the engine.

east tx skier
08-20-2012, 03:47 PM

Yikes. I'm sorry that happened to you. Good luck with the insurance.

soacj
08-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Even given the benefit of immediate hind-sight regarding insurance declaring it a total loss if you let it sink, who here would have just let it go down?

Props to the OP for acting quickly and preventing the total submersion of the boat. Rotten end (potentially) for a nice boat in any case.

bjames
08-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Hey man, sorry for loss, but kudos for your quick thinking at the time. If the isurance company does not total it, then i would ensure they include replacement of the carpet and any cousions that could be water logged. It is possible to bring it back life better that it was before.

GT500 MC
08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Even given the benefit of immediate hind-sight regarding insurance declaring it a total loss if you let it sink, who here would have just let it go down?
Props to the OP for acting quickly and preventing the total submersion of the boat. Rotten end (potentially) for a nice boat in any case.

Not I. Make sure everyone in the boat is OK, then I'd be doing whatever I could to keep that baby afloat.

TayMC197
08-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Hey man, sorry for loss, but kudos for your quick thinking at the time. If the isurance company does not total it, then i would ensure they include replacement of the carpet and any cousions that could be water logged. It is possible to bring it back life better that it was before.

I agree milk everything you can to have a full recovery. New carpet, upholstry, stereo, pumps, transmission, etc.

Stuff they didn't even get trashed but has potential for damage.. Rebuild the boat awesome and sell it.

wrobins1
08-21-2012, 01:38 PM

crazy thing is again the one of the water logged cushions was just reupholster by me...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=736&pictureid=4387

snork
08-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Too bad you didn't sell it before the incident, I think I remember it up for sale couple month ago.
I'm not an insurance agent but I know a few insurance investigators and claims adjusters, bet the insurance co. will pay to get it fixed. One fin and a little water won't justify a total.
Now, if you're to sling that boat off the trailer and it rolled two or three times down a hill then yeah its totalled.
Sorry for your loss

wrobins1
08-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Too bad you didn't sell it before the incident, I think I remember it up for sale couple month ago.
I'm not an insurance agent but I know a few insurance investigators and claims adjusters, bet the insurance co. will pay to get it fixed. One fin and a little water won't justify a total.
Now, if you're to sling that boat off the trailer and it rolled two or three times down a hill then yeah its totalled.
Sorry for your loss

There are a couple of similar xstars on here, but this one was not for sale or at least not yet. I have been lurking around on here trying to bring it back to factory condition.

jgraham37128
08-21-2012, 06:01 PM
That stinks for sure, but congratulations on no one getting hurt and you being able to keep it from sinking. The insurance part will work itself out. Either total or repair just make sure you get everything completely fixed. I would also have the local Mastercraft dealer do the repair estimate, this way you can make sure it's done right and with factory mastercraft parts, and with the cost of those parts it won't take long to total it out. :-)

wrobins1
08-21-2012, 06:25 PM
That stinks for sure, but congratulations on no one getting hurt and you being able to keep it from sinking. The insurance part will work itself out. Either total or repair just make sure you get everything completely fixed. I would also have the local Mastercraft dealer do the repair estimate, this way you can make sure it's done right and with factory mastercraft parts, and with the cost of those parts it won't take long to total it out. :-)

Closest mastercraft dealer is about three 1/2 hard hours one way and learned from skidim that the computer for this engine is no longer made and that all the new marine engines are DBW so may require changing entire dash, gauge cluster, mmdc, etc.

Traxx822
08-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Not me. I'd of been all ... NNNooooo My boooaaaatt and a lot of cussing and trying to get to shore. Glad I don't have fins ;)

sp00ky
08-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Yeah it's not as bad as a car flooding you can bring it back

sp00ky
08-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Closest mastercraft dealer is about three 1/2 hard hours one way and learned from skidim that the computer for this engine is no longer made and that all the new marine engines are DBW so may require changing entire dash, gauge cluster, mmdc, etc.

So drop a new engine in it, right? You have no other choices but the dealer to do the work?

mikeg205
08-21-2012, 10:13 PM

check other distributors...got nervous my fuel pump on my '95 was hard to find and skidim didn't know much about the pump's longevity. Talked to indmar and traded PM's with Jim at BAWS - boat parts tend to linger for ever. I can still get parts for my 1959 envinrude 18 hp... I know that's not the same but...

Is the ECM fried? or did the breakers save it. So sorry for your loss - after I accepted everyone was OK..then I would start to freak.

Maybe you should consider shipping it to Bay Area Water Sports if the insurance company decides not to total it.

hondaprlud
08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
We didn't have a hole as large as you did, but once I realized we were taking on water I worked hard to keep it above water. Insurance wasn't even a consideration. We had 5 kids on the boat and they weren't going to swim.

Any word on the repair estimate?

curtish
08-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Dang man. Sorry for your loss. Sucks to see that. Let us know if you need a pull or a cold one while you wait for the insurance to kick in.

Redstorm
08-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Ins. will total the boat if damages are in the range of the value. Good comes from bad. If they don't total it then you will have a complete rebuilt/restored boat in very good condition! Everything that is damaged will most likely be replaced with new. Basically your getting a new boat one way or the other. Good luck and enjoy next season!

ChandlerR
08-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Here's my sunken boat/insurance story. April 15, 2011, we had 60 mph winds for 10-11 hrs straight. My 2003 Centurion Elite was on the lift on our covered dock. The lift was a shoremaster that I purchased used when we built the dock. The dockbuilder installed it, but only used the bolts that clamped to the dock. It had holes to put vertical bolts in, but they didn't use them and I didn't know any better. Bad mistake. The winds of that day managed to cause the lift to come loose in the front, which dropped the boat down in the water and beat the chit out of it for approx 8 hrs. Two large holes, one in the bow, and one in the stern where it rubbed on the metal of the lift caused the boat to sink. A salvage company came the next day and retrieved it. I knew at that point that I never wanted to see that boat again. The insurance adjuster told me to take it to the dealer for an estimate and he asked me if I wanted to keep the boat or total it, as he could work the estimate in favor of the way I wanted to proceed. After the estimate, Progressive totaled the boat. The really good news was that I had an " agreed value " policy on the boat, so soon I recieved a check for 34K for an 8 year old boat that I paid 34K for. So you can bet that my new boat has an agreed value policy on it also. The old policy was only around 300/yr and since I had gone 5 yrs with no claims, there was no deductible. Needless to say I'm a very happy camper with Progressive. They even called me a week later and reminded me to cancel my policy, so I got another check in the mail !!

Thrall
08-22-2012, 11:06 AM
That's good to know about Progressive.
I've had them for my cars and boat for years. Never had a major claim, but god to know they make good on their agreed value policies.
SUffice it to say that the agreed value on my X2 will buy me another very nice boat should something catastrophic happen to it.

TRBenj
08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Sorry to hear about this misadventure, what a nightmare.

Thats incredible that the hull simply failed like that. Can you measure how thick the glass is in the area that broke?

It sure doesnt look like the through bolted fin helped you any, either. 2-4 small screw holes left behind from a ripped off fin would have kept the boat floating a good while longer than that gaping wound.

soacj
08-22-2012, 01:23 PM

Thats incredible that the hull simply failed like that. Can you measure how thick the glass is in the area that broke?

It sure doesnt look like the through bolted fin helped you any, either. 2-4 small screw holes left behind from a ripped off fin would have kept the boat floating a good while longer than that gaping wound.

The first time a self tapping screw affixed fin came off in normal usage or a light hit there would be someone on here griping that MC cheaped out on the fin attachment.:rolleyes: I think it's safe to say that boat took a substantial hit.

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-22-2012, 01:31 PM
2nd that soacj ;).......Big boat moving fast>>>>>hits a tree...something has got to give. Best of luck to you wrobins1.

snork
08-22-2012, 01:58 PM
was it the first time the fin was pushed through or had it been repaired in the past?

wrobins1
08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
2nd that soacj ;).......Big boat moving fast>>>>>hits a tree...something has got to give. Best of luck to you wrobins1.

About 3200-3500 rpm with stock prop 10-15 feet before the the impact at that point it was pulled into netural. The boat stopped almost entirely by the time I dove off the front.

was it the first time the fin was pushed through or had it been repaired in the past?

Should be the first time or it would have to had happened with the prevouis owner. If it happened with the prevouis owner it should have been considered a material fact and presented to me at the time of sale. However this is the real world and that does not always happen. I have no reason to believe that it had ever been fixed before and I did have the gas tank out this past winter when the engine and transmission was removed. More work that I have completed since buying the boat....

02ProstarSammyD
08-22-2012, 03:00 PM

NO WAY! I would have been on shore removing the tower speakers, etc...........and then pushed her back out lol. I'm kidding of course. I would have cried like a blubbering girl in this situation. Good job

Double D
08-22-2012, 03:10 PM
NO WAY! I would have been on shore removing the tower speakers, etc...........and then pushed her back out lol. I'm kidding of course. I would have cried like a blubbering girl in this situation. Good job

Agreed!! I would have tried to save her...

TRBenj
08-22-2012, 05:18 PM
The first time a self tapping screw affixed fin came off in normal usage or a light hit there would be someone on here griping that MC cheaped out on the fin attachment.:rolleyes: I think it's safe to say that boat took a substantial hit.

Ha, the fin debate (screw vs. through bolt) is nothing new. Ive seen some seriously damaged fins that remained on the boat after a hit, despite being screwed down. Never seen a screwed down fin rip a hole in the hull though. That hull looks dangerously thin though... not sure the attachment method would have made a huge difference.

snork
08-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Like I said looks to be repaired in the past but who knows, been so many issues with that X2, it could been "seriously abused" sunk by a torpedo and repaired by the original owner and passed off to the new owner with a clear title

TRBenj
08-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Like I said looks to be repaired in the past
Curious what makes you say that?

wrobins1
08-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Like I said looks to be repaired in the past but who knows, been so many issues with that X2, it could been "seriously abused" sunk by a torpedo and repaired by the original owner and passed off to the new owner with a clear title

Abused by the previous owner is not a 100% incorrect. But something having been fixed and passed off as clear title I doubt. Neglected is a more appropriate evaluation. The boat is a 02 which I purchased in 2010 and only had 112 hours on it when I brought it. When it sank it only had 230 hours still a baby!

bcd
08-24-2012, 03:28 PM
I had a water issue on my 02 X Star once (didn't get a hose hooked up after de-winterizing, which only happened to spit water out after the Tstat cracked). Anyway, there ended up being a lot of water in the boat fast, and I didn't know why. My bilge was running, but to help it out, I popped the hose of my KGB bag and flipped the ballast switch to empty to get an extra bilge running. Tsunami pumps would work well too if you have one of those.

I would have done the same thing as the OP, but if you find yourself in a taking on water situation, don't forget about the possiblity of turning ballast systems into bilge systems.

nauti-dreamer
08-24-2012, 03:45 PM
This thread got me thinking. Would there be a way, in an event like this, to have a safety product to "plug the hole". You know, like the "junk shot" we all heard of from Deep Water Horizon.

But of course you would need an audio clip playing in the background of Obama screaming, "just plug the GD hole!"

wrobins1
08-24-2012, 04:07 PM
This thread got me thinking. Would there be a way, in an event like this, to have a safety product to "plug the hole". You know, like the "junk shot" we all heard of from Deep Water Horizon.

But of course you would need an audio clip playing in the background of Obama screaming, "just plug the GD hole!"

I think that might be the funniest thing I have ever heard! I did just finish talking to the insurance adjuster. (So a good laugh was nice - Thanks.) He was a great guy, but have no clue yet how it is going to play out... Hope to know something Mon or Tues

LouisvilleFan
08-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I had a water issue on my 02 X Star once (didn't get a hose hooked up after de-winterizing, which only happened to spit water out after the Tstat cracked). Anyway, there ended up being a lot of water in the boat fast, and I didn't know why. My bilge was running, but to help it out, I popped the hose of my KGB bag and flipped the ballast switch to empty to get an extra bilge running. Tsunami pumps would work well too if you have one of those.

I would have done the same thing as the OP, but if you find yourself in a taking on water situation, don't forget about the possiblity of turning ballast systems into bilge systems.

Good idea! I'm fileing that in the old brain for a "rainy day".

wrobins1
08-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Good idea! I'm fileing that in the old brain for a "rainy day".

Glad we do not get many rain storms like that in WV!?! Talk about flash flooding

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=736&pictureid=4398

LouisvilleFan
08-24-2012, 05:47 PM
I'd say on the rainy day you had "wrobins1" it wasn't water that was in that storm! Hope all goes well on Mon. Tues....

wrobins1
09-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Well finally starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. The boat was totaled and the insurance company offered a buy back of the boat, but I do not have the time or more importantly the shop & tools to take on the rebuild. I hate thinking about it going to the big junk yard in the sky, but I just can't do it. So I know that the boat is supposed to be pick up by the auto auction on Mon. So if anyone would be interested in reviving the boat I will gather as much info as I can and post it on here. However given that I consider most of the people on this forum as friends this would be one H3!! of a project. I mean this boat needed a lot of work when I brought it let only after it was submerged. :cry::cry::cry:

wrobins1
09-14-2012, 03:52 PM
I think I am going to go get drink ideas off the Friday thread now...

tideengineer
09-14-2012, 04:13 PM
at 3:30 I will be leaving work...going for a 3 mile trail run....at 5:00 I will have a crown and coke for you while my wife drives me to our 10th graders football game....sorry for your loss.

Thrall
09-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Glad they totaled it. Yeah you had a ton of work into it, but you wouldn't want to tackle that (and then some) again.
Look on the bright side, perfect time of the year for boat shopping!

G-Star
09-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Wow. Sorry to see these pictures and read your story.
It's pretty spooky seeing those pictures, as my boat is nearly identical :(

Again, sorry for your bad luck. Hopefully you can find a suitable replacement for her.

hondaprlud
09-14-2012, 09:16 PM
It's probably best. When you get it, be sure to post pics of your new ride.

D3skier
09-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Well finally starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. The boat was totaled and the insurance company offered a buy back of the boat, but I do not have the time or more importantly the shop & tools to take on the rebuild. I hate thinking about it going to the big junk yard in the sky, but I just can't do it. So I know that the boat is supposed to be pick up by the auto auction on Mon. So if anyone would be interested in reviving the boat I will gather as much info as I can and post it on here. However given that I consider most of the people on this forum as friends this would be one H3!! of a project. I mean this boat needed a lot of work when I brought it let only after it was submerged. :cry::cry::cry:

just out of curiosity what are they telling you price wise to keep it? what do you want for it?

wrobins1
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Well they just picked it up. Sad it see it go but wasting work time shopping for a new boat helps. In an effort to help get it back on the water. Just found out that it is going to Buckhannon, WV. They will sell it at auction when they get the title. Any one that may want to rebuild it and get it back on the water should be able to contact see it online at

https://www.iaai.com/Auctions/BranchListingView.aspx?branchCode=652

Jim@BAWS
09-17-2012, 12:54 PM

What????Hull failure???Please...this is an unfortuante accident. The boat hull is durable...not designed as a STUMP JUMPER!

Jim@BAWS

TRBenj
09-18-2012, 11:50 AM
What????Hull failure???Please...this is an unfortuante accident. The boat hull is durable...not designed as a STUMP JUMPER!

Jim@BAWS
Uh yeah- the hull failed. Theres a big hole in it! Whether or not thats a reasonable amount of damage based on the type of accident is open for debate... Personally, if I hit something with the fin, Id rather the fin rip off the boat rather than be pushed through the hull. Assuming the worst case (screws are longer than the hull is thick), youre still only looking at a few small holes in the boat- so the bilge pump has a chance to keep up with the water intrusion.

The boats Ive dissected in the past have had much thicker keels (1/2" to 1") and have had their fins screwed on instead of through bolted. My guess is that they would have fared better in this type of scenario.

wrobins1
10-05-2012, 03:15 PM
I do not know why I keep hurting myself by looking for it but here is the boat listed on the insurance auction site. All I hoping for is someone to buy, rebulid, post pics...

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=13328363&RowNumber=0

Dylan
10-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Wow, great read. I'm not sure I could ever take pics of our boat half sunk. I'm glad you were able to settle. It seems like that interior went to hell real quick from being submerged and neglected.