PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bunk Boards

mah2496
08-20-2012, 12:15 AM
It's time to replace the carpet on my bunk boards. Anyone know the length of the boards on an MC single axle trailer for 1996 Prostar 205? I can verify for myself next weekend, but thought I'd ask around so I could order carpet this week.

Cobra Rob
08-20-2012, 12:18 AM
I am trying to decide what to do with mine as well.. I need to replace carpet and 1 board. Have you considered those ultimate bunk boards?

mah2496
08-20-2012, 05:57 AM
I am trying to decide what to do with mine as well.. I need to replace carpet and 1 board. Have you considered those ultimate bunk boards?

Nah... Those are too expensive. Most others seem to get well beyond a 10 year life span on their carpeted bunks. I'll stay with carpet and wood.

Cobra Rob
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Nah... Those are too expensive. Most others seem to get well beyond a 10 year life span on their carpeted bunks. I'll stay with carpet and wood.

Part of mine was to help get on and off and reduce scratching. The 45 does NOT want to move on or off the trailer. I might just recarpet and see if that helps.

I need to replace one board of the 4 though. I know everyone said don't use pressure treated but I can't remember what was suggested to use?

Ski-me
08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I just got a pressure treated 2x6 (I believe) and then covered it with some black carpeting from Home Depot. Nice stuff really.

I don't recall the length either....maybe 12' long?!? Also, be sure to use stainless steel staples.....

Why no pressure treated??

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Part of mine was to help get on and off and reduce scratching. The 45 does NOT want to move on or off the trailer.

Some guys on here say they just spray the carpeted bunks with wax and that helps with loading and unloading. Also hear to take care if your on a steep ramp not to unhook the winch until you are well into the water.

Sodar
08-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Part of mine was to help get on and off and reduce scratching. The 45 does NOT want to move on or off the trailer. I might just recarpet and see if that helps.

I need to replace one board of the 4 though. I know everyone said don't use pressure treated but I can't remember what was suggested to use?

Why no pressure treated? MC uses pressure treated wood at the factory.

Cobra Rob
08-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Why no pressure treated? MC uses pressure treated wood at the factory.

If you search everyone says it will eat the SS mounting HW in about a year.. :confused:

mah2496
08-20-2012, 01:45 PM
If you search everyone says it will eat the SS mounting HW in about a year.. :confused:

Pressure treated wood gets brought up a lot, but it seems like I've seen more owners say their pressure treated bunks have given them several years of service without problems.

Has anyone found stainless steel staples at a local hardware store (home depot, lowes, etc)? I've looked there and had no luck.

kjohnson
08-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Pressure treated wood gets brought up a lot, but it seems like I've seen more owners say their pressure treated bunks have given them several years of service without problems.

Has anyone found stainless steel staples at a local hardware store (home depot, lowes, etc)? I've looked there and had no luck.

Google SS staples. I ordered mine from the internet.

Cobra Rob
08-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Google SS staples. I ordered mine from the internet.

Probably going to order these since I am a prime member...

http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Fastener-508M1-Rustproof-000-Pack/dp/B00166NCGG

Miss Rita
08-20-2012, 05:54 PM
When I replaced my bunks I bought stainless staples and galvanized mounting hardware at Lowe's. I don't believe there's anything magic about "bunk carpet" that requires you to order it. You can get some decent carpet at, you guessed it, Lowes.

Cobra Rob
08-20-2012, 06:11 PM
When I replaced my bunks I bought stainless staples and galvanized mounting hardware at Lowe's. I don't believe there's anything magic about "bunk carpet" that requires you to order it. You can get some decent carpet at, you guessed it, Lowes.

I have been told to get the olefin carpet at either Lowes or HD.