PDA

View Full Version : Greaseing the ruder box (steering)

frankster66
08-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Hello-

I have a 1994 PS 205 (new to me)

I remover the rear floor today to grease the steering, I was able to grease the two steering fittings, but was unable to grease the rutter box. The grease fitting on the gun was on the zert fitting on the ruder, but I couldn’t pump the grease gun, it woulnt allow grease in, What could it be???

I didn’t take any picture I should have..

CantRepeat
08-19-2012, 04:46 PM
My first guess would be seized fitting. I would try and remove and replace that fitting.

frankster66
08-19-2012, 06:19 PM
The fitting looked good no rust.

mikeg205
08-20-2012, 08:22 AM
The fitting looked good no rust.

+1 for Cant's recommendation..

Galvanic corrosion... the spring/ball on the zierk could be jammed... try a new zierk - cheap.

frankster66
09-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Does anyone know what size the zert fitting is on the Rutter box? My quess would be 1/4". My boat 170 miles away, and I would like to buy one before I head up their. Pictures?

Thanks

03geetee
09-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Does anyone know what size the zert fitting is on the Rutter box? My quess would be 1/4". My boat 170 miles away, and I would like to buy one before I head up their. Pictures?

Thanks

They are cheap buy three sizes return two of them you dont need.

JTR

pbgbottle
09-29-2012, 12:09 PM
I just redid my rudder box. Old Tristar changed zerk and orings. And couldn't even get a full pump of the grease gun
Into it. It may be just that the box is still full and or tight , Just a though. In my case the box didnt take much grease at all

73driver
04-26-2016, 08:06 PM
Just like Frankster, I have a 1994 Prostar 205 and decided to grease the steering today. Starting from the engine toward the stern I greased the fitting that holds the steering arm...then I greased the arm itself...then I moved on to the rudder fitting and it wouldn't take any grease at all. Naturally I assumed the zerk and used a tool to make sure the ball was free, which it was. Then I tried again. Still nothing. Removed the zerk and pushed grease through the zerk just fine with the grease gun. Put the zerk back on and still unable to push any grease into the rudder. Moved the steering wheel through full range of motion and observed a bunch of grease come out of the steering arm zerk. Continued through full range of motion until the grease quit coming out of the zerk. Tried the rudder zerk again...nothing.

Ideas?

mikeg205
04-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Just like Frankster, I have a 1994 Prostar 205 and decided to grease the steering today. Starting from the engine toward the stern I greased the fitting that holds the steering arm...then I greased the arm itself...then I moved on to the rudder fitting and it wouldn't take any grease at all. Naturally I assumed the zerk and used a tool to make sure the ball was free, which it was. Then I tried again. Still nothing. Removed the zerk and pushed grease through the zerk just fine with the grease gun. Put the zerk back on and still unable to push any grease into the rudder. Moved the steering wheel through full range of motion and observed a bunch of grease come out of the steering arm zerk. Continued through full range of motion until the grease quit coming out of the zerk. Tried the rudder zerk again...nothing.

Ideas?

the grease comes out the bottom of rudder box.. on bottom of hull... did the grease gun not allow you to pump? It could be empty... I check my rudder grease 1-2 a season..

73driver
04-26-2016, 08:11 PM
I could not even squeeze the trigger on the grease gun.

73driver
04-26-2016, 08:12 PM
Acted just like a jammed zerk but the zerk worked fine off the rudder fitting.

mikeg205
04-27-2016, 09:00 PM
stick a paper clip up the grease escape hole under boat.. it may be plugged.. you may have to drop rudder and rebuild... very easy.. hardest part is to not drop the rudder - block or have another set of hands handy... still block it... it's heavy.

73driver
04-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Thanks mikeg...will try tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiWest
04-27-2016, 10:35 PM
stick a paper clip up the grease escape hole under boat.. it may be plugged.. you may have to drop rudder and rebuild... very easy.. hardest part is to not drop the rudder - block or have another set of hands handy... still block it... it's heavy.

+1 to this. I had similar issues but must've broken some crude up to allow the grease to escape. Just stick with it, I wasted a lot of grease not thinking any was getting in but eventually some old grease came out the escape hole followed by fresh grease.

For Reference: https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38455

to quote ahhudgins: the bigger the blob the better the job