PDA

View Full Version : Stranded twice in one weekend. NEED HELP

Sayiwont
08-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Bought a new 2001 xstar and ran it out of gas due to gauge not working. I replaced fuel pump after it wouldn't start after refueling. Take it out today pull a couple riders for about 30 minutes boat runs fine and then we get stranded when I cut it off to change riders. Anybody got any advice before I put it in the shop on Tuesday. Thanks in advance guys.

JimN
08-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Bought a new 2001 xstar and ran it out of gas due to gauge not working. I replaced fuel pump after it wouldn't start after refueling. Take it out today pull a couple riders for about 30 minutes boat runs fine and then we get stranded when I cut it off to change riders. Anybody got any advice before I put it in the shop on Tuesday. Thanks in advance guys.

Look in the other fuel pump threads- a lot of people are replacing the plug on the harness. Do it correctly- solder and self-sealing heat shrink tubing. NAPA has it.

agua4fun
08-20-2012, 10:41 AM
yep, i was also stuck a few weeks ago, couldnt hear the pump priming. i cursed the pump untill i started messing with the plug harness and it kicked in. pulled it apart, cleaned it up, bent the female slots in for better connection and problem solved.
I wonder how many fuel pumps have been replaced, that didnt need to be? worth a shot.

JimN
08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
yep, i was also stuck a few weeks ago, couldnt hear the pump priming. i cursed the pump untill i started messing with the plug harness and it kicked in. pulled it apart, cleaned it up, bent the female slots in for better connection and problem solved.
I wonder how many fuel pumps have been replaced, that didnt need to be? worth a shot.

My guess- a lot. It would explain the repeat pump replacements and the fact that so many pumps that went back to MC worked fine when they checked them.

I was at Car Quest two weeks ago and someone was buying a pump. The guy at the counter told him that he'd need a new plug because so many of them go bad.

Sayiwont
08-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Are you referring to the harness on the outside of the pump that is on top of the fuel tank?

g-Dog
08-20-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm also having intermittent starting problems. Installed a new pump a couple of weeks ago...so I know it's not the pump. I think I've narrowed it down to either the pump relay or the connector on top of the pump assembly. I'm picking up the realy at Napa...but I can't seam to find a part number or anything for the wiring harness. Anyone happen to know what it is?

curtish
08-22-2012, 02:52 AM
hm......:popcorn:

BallBushing
08-22-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm also having intermittent starting problems. Installed a new pump a couple of weeks ago...so I know it's not the pump. I think I've narrowed it down to either the pump relay or the connector on top of the pump assembly. I'm picking up the realy at Napa...but I can't seam to find a part number or anything for the wiring harness. Anyone happen to know what it is?

For the harness (black to yellow connection) on top of the fuel pump assembly call Rambo marine and give them your fuel pump assembly number $38 plus shipping. I put the new one in (green wire is not used) and a 5 year issue has been solved.