PDA

View Full Version : Bad Servo Motor on Perfect Pass

ematthew
09-01-2005, 11:31 AM
I had to replace the servo motor on my Perfect Pass after it completely seized up and quit working. The boat has only 100 hours and the replacement cost me about $350. Is this a common problem with perfect pass? Any way to avoid this expensive problem from recurring? I just can't live without the perfect pass!

Tom023
09-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Over 200 hours on mine with no problems and the PP system has been on for 90% of that time. I would check to see if the servo motor is mounted in a place where it can get wet, otherwise, sounds like just an unlucky instance.

G-man
09-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Generally they only seize when they get wet. Look where it is mounted and if it is on a v-drive is it below where 2 cushions meet. Water tends to run in and that gets them. Another thing I have seen is some not so bright people empty fat sacks into the bilge and let the bilge pump empty the water. This works but a lot of water is flung by the pulleys and belts getting the servo wet.

bigmac
09-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Generally they only seize when they get wet. Look where it is mounted and if it is on a v-drive is it below where 2 cushions meet. Water tends to run in and that gets them. Another thing I have seen is some not so bright people empty fat sacks into the bilge and let the bilge pump empty the water. This works but a lot of water is flung by the pulleys and belts getting the servo wet.

On my V-drive with MCX, I mounted it way out of the bilge, putting it on top of the left exhaust. No water there.

http://mccollister.info/ppcable.jpg

Ric
09-01-2005, 07:06 PM
mac what is the waterhose type valve for?

bigmac
09-01-2005, 08:05 PM
mac what is the waterhose type valve for?

Ummmm.......

ematthew
09-01-2005, 08:48 PM
It never got wet that I know of, but it does lie above the engine, right where the pads come together. I guess I will keep an eye on the new one and hopefully it won't happen again.