PDA

View Full Version : A quick hello!

Tristar Racing
08-18-2012, 11:37 PM
I just wanted to take a few seconds to introduce myself. Finally decided to take the plunge on my first inboard, a left over '11 X1. I have always thought of myself as a Nautique guy, but between the big three can you really go wrong? I saw the chance to get a well made upper level boat without all the electronic gadgets, and I figured why not. Time will tell if it was a good choice, but I am excited. More pictures to come after I pick it up. Anything to look for before I take it home?

sand2snow22
08-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Congrats! Awesome boat. I have a 2005, look for spider cracks in the gelcoat, near tower supports, cleats, rub rail, under seats, etc. Did you drive it? New boats can have a few bugs to work out. I did a 20 hour service on a 2012 VLX yesterday, Maliview was loose and the center windshield is a little off. You might find a few things wrong, it's normal, just make a list a list and have the dealer fix under warranty.

BTW, MC is prone to have white bubbles in their black gelcoat, look at the black very close for white bubbles. If you find a bunch, I would ask the dealer to respray!!!

Tristar Racing
08-19-2012, 01:50 AM
Congrats! Awesome boat. I have a 2005, look for spider cracks in the gelcoat, near tower supports, cleats, rub rail, under seats, etc. Did you drive it? New boats can have a few bugs to work out. I did a 20 hour service on a 2012 VLX yesterday, Maliview was loose and the center windshield is a little off. You might find a few things wrong, it's normal, just make a list a list and have the dealer fix under warranty.

BTW, MC is prone to have white bubbles in their black gelcoat, look at the black very close for white bubbles. If you find a bunch, I would ask the dealer to respray!!!

Whoa, I hope it doesn't have spider cracks anywhere in the gelcoat considering its brand new. White bubbles in gel coat? Does Mastercraft have major issues with their gelcoat application?

I have to admit, you have me a bit scared at this point. Test drive before everything is finalized Monday...

Covi
08-19-2012, 08:06 AM
The gas station!

I just wanted to take a few seconds to introduce myself. Finally decided to take the plunge on my first inboard, a left over '11 X1. I have always thought of myself as a Nautique guy, but between the big three can you really go wrong? I saw the chance to get a well made upper level boat without all the electronic gadgets, and I figured why not. Time will tell if it was a good choice, but I am excited. More pictures to come after I pick it up. Anything to look for before I take it home?

JohnE
08-19-2012, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't worry about anything. I've had 3 black MC's and never had the bubbles. Sand knows boats and is just giving you a head's up on a somewhat obscure occurance I believe. Look it over good, what you see is what you get. The X1 does everything well and will remain desireable for years. I would imagine that the spider cracks appear after some heavy use if the tower attachment points are not braced well enough. I would think that they have addressed the issue since 05. Again, Sand knows boats and if that is all he said to look out for you can rest assured that you are about to buy a great boat.

Jason.H.
08-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Awesome colors! I would be so excited!

76S&S
08-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the site and great looking boat, hope everything goes well today.

coz
08-20-2012, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't worry about anything. I've had 3 black MC's and never had the bubbles. Sand knows boats and is just giving you a head's up on a somewhat obscure occurance I believe. Look it over good, what you see is what you get. The X1 does everything well and will remain desireable for years. I would imagine that the spider cracks appear after some heavy use if the tower attachment points are not braced well enough. I would think that they have addressed the issue since 05. Again, Sand knows boats and if that is all he said to look out for you can rest assured that you are about to buy a great boat.

No bubbles in my 98 and she lives and bakes in Az I think the best thing he did was get one without the electronic gadgets :headbang: Congrats on the new purchase, I know you'll be happy you chose MC over CC, enjoy.

Thrall
08-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Nice lookin boat!
You got the last of an era there!

LouisvilleFan
08-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Very nice boat! I have an 07 X-1 and have no issues with cracks. Enjoy it!

Tristar Racing
08-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Picked the boat up today. Like all boats, highs and lows. Managed 320 trouble free miles of towing, got it back and of couse it was a few inches too tall with the tower folded down. I saw the diamond shaped board racks were the high point on the folded tower, so I removed one side of the forks and slid them out. Except that only worked on the port side. Starboard is jammed on something at the top. I thought hey, just loosen the bolts near the point that looked like it was rubbing, except the heads to the bolts aren't exposed to loosen, the boxed area of the brace looks like it is covering it. Any ideas? I'll add pictures tomorrow, finally just let a good bit of air out of the tire on that side and got it in. Of course then the starboard side of the swim platform was stuck, luckily pb blaster worked on that.

Long long day. Back at it again tomorrow.

Tristar Racing
08-21-2012, 09:15 AM
I'll get pics up of what I am talking about with the board rack and tower later, I know everyone likes pics though so here is one I took on the journey home....

Sullivan
08-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Very Cool! Great looking boat. Exciting times for you.

Tristar Racing
08-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Hey, thanks again for all the positive feedback. Not too bad for a leftover boat apparently no one else wanted. I always love looking at boat pictures, so I added a few more from Saturday for others that feel the same way. I took it out on Lake Michigan since I am familiar with the area and boat with others there. It was a great day with relatively flat conditions. I spent most of the time getting my break-in hours done, but the wake looks great from what I saw.

(The old man's boat is next to the X1 in the second picture, I think he had more fun bouncing around on the "baby boat" all day )