PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Maristar dies when engine is warm

table
08-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Engine dies after first couple hours on the water. Engine turns over but doesn't start, for first 3 times, then starts runs strong and smooth for 15 seconds then dies again as if key were off. The longer I wait after it dies the quicker it starts. Let it sit for 2 hours, ran great for 45 minutes then died again. Had same issues getting back to the dock. Since, I have replaced the fuel filter and pump and have had the same problem. The tether is attached and tight, don't know what else it could be. Any help would be appreciated.

BallBushing
08-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Check your transmission cooler for debris, also check the electrical connector (black to yellow) on top of the fuel pump assembly, that could be your problem. A new wiring harness is $38 at Rambo marine

table
08-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks Ball Bushing, I have checked the transmission cooler and it is free from debris. The engine has not run hot. I also checked all the wiring and connections, they are clean and tight. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

JimN
08-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Engine dies after first couple hours on the water. Engine turns over but doesn't start, for first 3 times, then starts runs strong and smooth for 15 seconds then dies again as if key were off. The longer I wait after it dies the quicker it starts. Let it sit for 2 hours, ran great for 45 minutes then died again. Had same issues getting back to the dock. Since, I have replaced the fuel filter and pump and have had the same problem. The tether is attached and tight, don't know what else it could be. Any help would be appreciated.

What have you tested? If nothing, all you can do is guess. Voltage, physical condition, pressure- all need to be checked out.

Open the throttle a bit and see if it starts. If it does and you have the throttle body engine (Predator), look at the throttle plate for a hole that's about 3/16" diameter. If it doesn't have one, call MC and ask if this engine had the recal. If you're the original owner and this is a new problem, disregard this- if it has happened for a long time, check into it.

Did you check for codes? If not, why not? This could be a simple problem, like the ECT.

table
08-24-2012, 09:41 AM
I just got my boat back from a MC Dealer who checked for code and was unable to find any codes. Voltage and fuel pressure checked out good. Ignition and fuel solenoids appeared to be new. Removed connections, all were clean and tight including grounds. I have owned the boat for less than a year. Mechanic said all updates had been done.
Thanks for any suggestions on what could be the problem.

JimN
08-24-2012, 09:44 AM
I just got my boat back from a MC Dealer who checked for code and was unable to find any codes. Voltage and fuel pressure checked out good. Ignition and fuel solenoids appeared to be new. Removed connections, all were clean and tight including grounds. I have owned the boat for less than a year. Mechanic said all updates had been done.
Thanks for any suggestions on what could be the problem.

You didn't answer the question about whether opening the throttle makes it start. If you just haven't had a chance, try that if it happens again. If it does help, look at the throttle plate and call MC to find out if the recal was done under warranty, as it should. This won't store a code if it wasn't done. You don't pump the throttle when it's hard to start, do you? That doesn't work on EFI engines.