PDA

View Full Version : Will only steer left???? HELP!!!

College Kid
08-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Backround, I had the steering wheel off to do a little work on my dash, just the 5 screws on the wheel, the one nut to remove the wheel base, and then the two bolts on either side of the tilt mechanism.

Get the lake this morning, engine is running awsome!!!!!! (this was the first time out since chasing a vacuum leak), go to leave the dock and realize I can only turn in one direction????

I have tried re greasing the nipples, as well as had the whole rudder assembly apart. I have found that the steering cable only will go so far, then hits a "wall".

The rod that goes through the sleeve is till half out?

I am thinking about taking the steering box behind the dash apart but I thought I'd better check with you guys first.

I looks like all the post on steering just tell me to switch cables, I am not sure if that this the problem here, as I would think it would work at all if it was that bad, the cable also looks pretty new.
Thoughts?

Gabe63
08-18-2012, 08:18 PM
What boat? My 2000 Maristar has two places that would be obvious if this happened.
1. rear near the rudder is an adjustment point, is yours loose?
2. (and probably what you did) There are 4 bolts that hold the steering cable to the steering shaft gear under the dash. If you loosened yours up and moved the cable, rudder, etc you would need to re-adjust it. Just loosen it so it moves down and away from the steering shaft.

College Kid
08-18-2012, 09:36 PM
92' prostar 190, sorry always forget that part,

I have adjusted the rudder, but I can't move it as far back as I would need to to get it to run the other direction.

I just finish taking the rotary assembly apart to see if something might be wrong there. Everything looks good there too. I am wondering if someone can tell me how much play they have after the rotary box?

I can't remember exactly but it seems like alot less then I used to have, I get approx 4 inches now out the end. Only fills the "straw" up about half way.

I am wondering if I need to reset the whole line, can someone walk me through the process, ie do you start with the rudder to one side or the other?

College Kid
08-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Let me just say how much I love this site.

Was doing some research on the issue and came accross this thread.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40109

Which made mention to the zerk and if you over greased it would mean you could only turn one way.

Problem solved, of course I now have a new problem. The zerk hole is stripped, and won't re thread.

First does anyone one know what the thread was on these? NPT? NC? ect.

Also does anyone know if I can't get one to thread where if it's possible to buy a new tube?

FrankSchwab
09-02-2012, 11:59 PM
There isn't really a zerk back there.

On mine, there's a zerk, but it doesn't have a check ball in it - you can grease it that way, but it's designed not to keep the grease in (for the reason that you discovered).

I don't know how you would repair a stripped zerk; if it's part of the steering cable, I'd leave well enough alone until you need a new cable in a few years, and deal with it then.

/frank