PDA

View Full Version : Granite rock "1", prop and boat "0"

Bobbyt55
08-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Took out prop, strut, rudder box, and some cracked fibreglass. Looking for experience and advice. First time in 40 years of boating I took out a prop or even hit a prop on anything. While my 8 year old sat on my lap at 29 miles an hour, the world stood still when that noise and vibration tore through the bottom of our x30.

As I pulled the boat out I found 1 of the 4 blades had sheared completely off and took a large 4" wide 1/2" deep chunk out of the bottom of the boat. I now have found that the rudder was slightly altered not bad about 1" at the very bottom.. But the rudder box is bent and cracked, as well as the fibreglass is cracked around the rudder plate. From inside I can see that whatever base Mastercraft uses in construction was raised about 3/16" from the force of the rock on rudder experience. I thought I would get away with a bandaid fix for the balance of my vacation, but the very well trusted boat yard here in Lake Tahoe said the boat isn't safe with the broken rudder box and fibreglass damage..

So the first look damage report / repairs seem to be as follows. Prop, strut, rudder box, fibreglass re do /repair to rudder area and possible shaft. I am a very proficient mechanic and understand most all concepts of each of these repairs. Unfortunately my insurance policy (by choice) has a $5,000 deductible. So this will be out of pocket. Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.

mikeg205
08-18-2012, 03:15 PM
sorry to read...pictures are always helpful...

ttu
08-18-2012, 03:21 PM
ouch!! sorry to hear. such a beautiful lake! as previous post pictures can get you a lot of assitance from this forum.

DRRICK
08-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Took out prop, strut, rudder box, and some cracked fibreglass. Looking for experience and advice. First time in 40 years of boating I took out a prop or even hit a prop on anything. While my 8 year old sat on my lap at 29 miles an hour, the world stood still when that noise and vibration tore through the bottom of our x30.

As I pulled the boat out I found 1 of the 4 blades had sheared completely off and took a large 4" wide 1/2" deep chunk out of the bottom of the boat. I now have found that the rudder was slightly altered not bad about 1" at the very bottom.. But the rudder box is bent and cracked, as well as the fibreglass is cracked around the rudder plate. From inside I can see that whatever base Mastercraft uses in construction was raised about 3/16" from the force of the rock on rudder experience. I thought I would get away with a bandaid fix for the balance of my vacation, but the very well trusted boat yard here in Lake Tahoe said the boat isn't safe with the broken rudder box and fibreglass damage..

So the first look damage report / repairs seem to be as follows. Prop, strut, rudder box, fibreglass re do /repair to rudder area and possible shaft. I am a very proficient mechanic and understand most all concepts of each of these repairs. Unfortunately my insurance policy (by choice) has a $5,000 deductible. So this will be out of pocket. Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Bummer dude, I feel your pain. I bent my first prop the 2nd day I had my boat, trying to maneuver in tight quarters, but just getting the hang on reverse and torque steer:D

The shaft will be bent, you will not be able to see it until you take it out and roll it on something flat/use a dial indicator setup.

I havn't hit anything that hard, but I have replaced my propeller twice and was able to have it repaired 3 times, unlike you this happened to me in the first two years of having the boat and trying to learn how to navigate a very shallow river in the summer. Havn't had to repair or replace a propeller in 16 years, now with fingers crossed.

Any way I have also replaced the drive shaft 3 times, twice the prop was unrepairable, so I could understand the shaft being bent, but one time the prop was repairable but the shaft was ever so slightly bent, by dial indicator. The second time I replaced the shaft with an A.R.E. drive shaft "system" that has a trick built in arrangement that allows one to separate the shaft easier.

One of the prop damage episodes also bent a skeg.

Cmpdman
08-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Sorry. Man that is not fun. I've never hit anything but I have seen other boats "beach" their boat on a pile of rocks. Hopefully some of the others wil be able to help with repair ideas. It always good to read what others have to say in repairs. Best of luck.

JohnE
08-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Wow, I'm sorry to read this. I don't have any experience to offer.