PDA

View Full Version : Towing with the paddle wheel in

surfacetension
08-18-2012, 01:46 PM
I just looked and my Son lost the paddle wheel dummy. What's everyones opinion about towing with the paddle wheel in ?

ttu
08-18-2012, 03:06 PM
hmm, we have the same boat and didn't even know i was suppose to have a "dummy" when towing. have never even seen what it looks like and have towed a few thousand miles with no issues!

Kell
08-18-2012, 03:25 PM
09 X2 came with a dummy but I've never used it, but our max tow is 1.5 hrs. I've read that some use duck tape and tape the paddle wheel on the bottom of the boat to prevent it from spinning for long tows.

Seems like a simple solution if you can't find or get a dummy.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

mikeg205
08-18-2012, 03:56 PM
The dummy plug is to keep it from being damage... I like the tape idea...I would put some plastic wrap over the paddle wheel to keep the adhesive off the wheel.

@TTU - better knock on some wood or something now...that you made the comment of no problems...lol :D

JohnnyB
08-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Masking tape......

Religiously taped mine and had to replace it at 7 years/ 400 hrs

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

ttu
08-18-2012, 04:03 PM
The dummy plug is to keep it from being damage... I like the tape idea...I would put some plastic wrap over the paddle wheel to keep the adhesive off the wheel.

@TTU - better knock on some wood or something now...that you made the comment of no problems...lol :D

guess i better have! i never did with my 02 moomba or my 05 supra ssv22 either. on my 07 x2 i upgraded to stargazer. wonder if that has anything to do with it. doubt it.

Bob B
08-18-2012, 06:23 PM
I pull my boat to Lake Norfork at least once a year, 600 miles round trip. We just pull the paddle wheel and let is rest in the bottom of the boat. We do not plug the hole.

wato
08-20-2012, 09:52 AM
never used a dummy, I tow long distances (1-4 hours) to use my boat, never had a problem

east tx skier
08-20-2012, 11:57 AM
I think I have my old paddle wheel plug. PM me if you're interested.

I never covered my old wheel and never had trouble, but they can wear out. I taped over it once or twice, but would always forget and have to deal with it with the boat in the water.

Years ago, someone showed off a setup that he rigged up on his trailer to protect his paddle wheel while trailering. And wouldn't you know it, I saved the pictures. Enjoy.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yrYXqpiFQnk/UDJQHXUDVdI/AAAAAAAAFcw/QceHmKVX1Lk/s912/Paddle%2520Wheel%2520Trailer%2520Cover%2520Device% 2520Collage.JPG

Thrall
08-20-2012, 12:14 PM
WOw, that's alot of work to cover the paddlewheel.
I never knew this was a consideration. I've towed thousands of miles with my 06. Never thought about the paddlewheel spinning at 70mph under the boat. Interesting.

BrooksfamX2
08-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I never knew this was a consideration. I've towed thousands of miles with my 06. Never thought about the paddlewheel spinning at 70mph under the boat. Interesting.

X2 on that....hmmmm.......... :rolleyes:

east tx skier
08-20-2012, 12:52 PM

I imagine this thing being activated like a Rube-Goldberg machine.

Sodar
08-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I am on the same page as Thrall. I have towed at least thousands of miles, if not tens of thousands of miles. Guess I should add one more thing to the check list! :)

JohnnyB
08-20-2012, 02:00 PM
I pulled the mfg cut sheet on mine when I replaced it. It was designed for sail boats, lower speed applications and has a finite number of cycles in its life....will try to find the info next time I am home.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Quinten
08-20-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm wondering, if you drive the trailer and the wheel is spinning, that you can reed the speed on the speedometer.
What is the purpose of covering the wheel?

east tx skier
08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
So it doesn't wear out prematurely from spinning in the wind while you are pulling the boat and trailer down the freeway at 60+ mph.

/never had a problem with either of mine.
//replaced the paddle wheel with a thru-hull depth finder once Stargazer stopped using the paddle wheel.

Forrest-X45
08-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I was told the same thing when I purchased my boat. Cover the paddle wheel if traveling long distances to prevent premature wear.
I just crawl under and apply a strip of blue painters tape before any trip longer than a hour. It's quick and comes off easily without any sticky residue. But it does stick enough to stay on if you forget to take it off when you get to the lake. Only did that once and a quick dive under the boat resolved it. :)

bjames
08-20-2012, 04:30 PM
This is all news to me. Every boat I had came with a dummy (not the one who sits in the observers seat :D ) and never used it. Never really knew what it was for.

TxsRiverRat
08-20-2012, 05:33 PM
woah woah woah woah...

if you remove the paddle wheel for towing, how in the hell would you know how fast the boat was going on the way to the lake?

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif