PDA

View Full Version : How do you pay for a tow.

madcityskier
08-18-2012, 12:27 PM
We've all had a problem on the water. Engine temp started running up on the water yesterday. Didn't have a spare impeller. Got a buddy to tow me in. Part of the deal is that I have to post this pic. Oh humiliation! Old one is in as a spare and 2 ordered from skidim to put it right.

Got me thinking. We are always ready to tow in someone who is having problems. Call it good Karma. Don't accept anything for it, if they offer we ask them to pay it forward even if it is an inconvienient time.

The few times I've needed a tow there is almost always someone willing to help out. We generallyh try to offer come gas money, addtionally if at my folks place on the lake a round of drinks (beer,soda, etc.) for the people who just put aside their fun to help us out.

What have you given/gotten for a tow?

pram
08-18-2012, 12:42 PM
I have not had the pleasure being towed in. Yet, although I hope to never have it happen

I towed a family in 2 weeks ago and told them to have a great day

My boat was anchored at the campsite and in the morning there was a nice bottle of red in the drivers seat

starman205
08-18-2012, 01:41 PM
The couple of times that I have towed people in I have just told them to pay it forward when they offered me something. :)

ttu
08-18-2012, 01:42 PM
knock on wood i have never had to be towed in, even when my fuel pump started to go. thank goodness it would idle in to the dock and ramp.

i have towed many back and have never asked for anything except a simply thank you

kskonn
08-18-2012, 01:46 PM
I have probably towed someone in 4 times. The only time I excepted anything was when the guy said, "well our day is over why don't you take our beer.". So we did. Other than that it just nice to help someone out, it sucks needing a tow.

501s
08-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Getting towed in sucks. I have never had to do this with my MC or moomba but Ony old I/o I did. I have also given several tow ins. Paying it forward it the best solution. If you have a boat and use it frequently, EVENTUALLY you will need help. Be it engine troubles, battery, or a log. No one likes to be in need of help, but if you see someone who needs it always do the right thing. It will come back to you.

Cmpdman
08-18-2012, 03:44 PM
We've towed a few people back to the docks. We were breaking in our new 08 X45 with 4 hours on it. We were keeping it below 2000 rpm for the break in, going a little higher & a little lower. We had a found a boat 5 miles from the marina that had broken down. I debated real hard about towing them or radioing the marina. We towed them in - did the right thing. I just hope if it happens to us, some one else will repay the favor.

mikeg205
08-18-2012, 04:06 PM
The couple of times that I have towed people in I have just told them to pay it forward when they offered me something. :)

^^+1 -

Traxx822
08-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I had just got my MC a few months ago and ran it dry. The gauge is a little off. Thought I needed a tow. Then some Old fisherman stopped and gave me some gas out of his can about a gallon or two. Then suddenly his boat died and wouldn't restart, for some reason I never figured out, and I had to tow him in. We said it was just pure destiny. I see him a lot and there's a nice friendly wave to each other and a remembrance of that strange twist.

Specter
08-18-2012, 10:11 PM
I echo paying it forward. I've towed 2 people in (1 MC, 1 Regal) and almost had to tow a SeaDoo in today and each time we told them that the roles may be reversed one day.

JohnnyB
08-18-2012, 10:17 PM
I am +4 on towing v being towed. Never asked for or received a thing......sooner or later I will be in the other end I am sure :cool::cool:

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

barefoot
08-18-2012, 11:08 PM
I see towing and being towed as part of boating. I personally have never been towed in, but I've been on boats that had to be towed. All the times, nobody took any money and were mostly satisfied with a 'thank you.'

I've towed a few people in. It's no problem to me. I consider it something one does as a boater. I take no money and probably never will. I won't, however, turn down a beer if it's offered!

Nordicron
08-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Where the heck is that pic? :)

Oh here it is!

snork
08-19-2012, 12:10 AM
I got towed in once, a short tow but a tow never the less Thanks Yellow X9

madcityskier
08-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Good. Now I can give to bed. Can't post pics from NY phone and can't get to the computer til the movie is over.

d2jp
08-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Man, I was just in Madison at the Monona Terrace for a few days, I should have hit you up for a pull!

Cobra Rob
08-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Just got towed in for the first time. I think I am a member of the fuel pump club...:(

I had an unopened magnum of Bevedere Vodka. I gave it to him as a thanks.

ShawnB
08-19-2012, 01:32 AM
Last time we had to tow someone in (it was an old Malibu) we felt really bad for the guy as he was hosting a big party and had a broken boat. After towing them in we invited them out and taught a few of his guests how to wakeboard.

Knock on wood, we haven't needed a tow since becoming a MasterCraft family...

wheelerd
08-19-2012, 02:27 AM
- Got towed once when my TriStar had water in the gas.
- Last year I towed a couple with an OB who were having carb issues.
- Just last week as we were coming back to the launch at the end of the day we spotted an upset canoe. Coming closer we saw two fisherman in the water and all their gear (including a huge beer cooler) floating all around them. They also had a big Lab dog that had swam ashore. The guys were already three sheets to the wind and alternately laughing and swearing at each other. One guy said, "I think the dog was the problem." I said, "I think the beer in your gut was the problem." We helped them flip over and bail out their canoe, then we drove around and gathered up all the gear we could find. One guy boarded the canoe from our swim platform; the second guy tried to get in and they flipped again! So, I told them both to get in our boat. I tied on their canoe and towed it back to the launch with the dog laying calmly on the bottom. As we left them at the beach they were arguing about selling the canoe.:D

JohnE
08-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Never been towed in but have towed in close to a half dozen. I thank my good buddy Trickskier for teaching me the preferred method of dropping the towed boat at the dock. :D:D Wish I knew how to post pics from the ipad. I'd never take anything more than a beer for the effort and just hope someone will be there for me when I need it.

bill-d-c
08-19-2012, 01:16 PM
I first got into boating/skiing in 1980, had a Continental drag boat. I swear that thing spent more time behind a rope than in front of one. In 1983 I bought my first MC boat, a 1975...haven't been towed since. I have over the years towed probably a dozen or more boats to the boat ramp, never ask or accept anything for it unless it's a cold drink. I know what it's like to be on both ends of the rope, so to speak, and know I will, sooner or later, need another tow myself.
Bill

Stx221
08-20-2012, 10:34 AM
I was towed in once when the alternator died on me. Only time it has happened to me. Before I knew what the problem was, I flagged someone down for a jump start and paid them with a couple beers and many thanks. Then the family that I flagged down for a tow after making it all of a mile down the lake were paid with the same payment. Neither wanted any more than that. The family wouldn't take gas $ and they were just happy that we got to a dock to figure things out from there.

I have not had to tow anybody in yet, but I am always ready with the tubing rope just in case someone needs it. Knowing how disheartening it is to flag someone down, if I see someone that looks like they may need that help I certainly go ask. I owe it to someone out there and will expect nothing in return. I know that it puts a huge damper on the day of being on the water when things break, so it will be the least I can do.

ttu
08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
saw this yesterday.

76S&S
08-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Sitting at the dock last weekend I saw a boat that was apparently stranded. After watching several boats pass by and ignore them (it was just about dark) the wife and I went out to offer a tow............only to discover they were on "date night"...oops.

They were very nice about the mix up.;)

curtish
08-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Sitting at the dock last weekend I saw a boat that was apparently stranded. After watching several boats pass by and ignore them (it was just about dark) the wife and I went out to offer a tow............only to discover they were on "date night"...oops.

When I first read this I thought you said "they were nicely mixed up"...lol.

mzimme
08-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Ohhh good old date night. Boats are a great addition to taking someone out for the first time. Usually just out enjoying drinks, conversation comes up about having a boat, later conversation turns into "want to go on the boat?"... makeout sessions to follow. Good 'ol boat. :cool:

TayMC197
08-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Ohhh good old date night. Boats are a great addition to taking someone out for the first time. Usually just out enjoying drinks, conversation comes up about having a boat, later conversation turns into "want to go on the boat?"... makeout sessions to follow. Good 'ol boat. :cool:

Make out? I'm on the boat past dark, we ain't making out. Lol the sun deck, motor cover, teak deck, bow, Ohh the options...

I've towed about 6 boats. Even my brothers Malibu.. It was priceless :-)

76S&S
08-22-2012, 12:36 PM
When I first read this I thought you said "they were nicely mixed up"...lol.

That would have been intersting...

I think it's about time for me and the wifey to have a "boat" date nite:D

rjracin240
08-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Where the heck is that pic? :)

Oh here it is!

Probably will get flamed but just saying.......dont get caught doing the bow riding thing!

jvbaca
08-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Never been towed in but have towed in close to a half dozen. I thank my good buddy Trickskier for teaching me the preferred method of dropping the towed boat at the dock. :D:D Wish I knew how to post pics from the ipad. I'd never take anything more than a beer for the effort and just hope someone will be there for me when I need it.

You've piqued my interest - what is the best way for dropping the towed boat at the dock? I've towed a couple and never could quite figure out a completely smooth dropoff (without crashing them or myself into the dock:o ).

mzimme
08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
You've piqued my interest - what is the best way for dropping the towed boat at the dock? I've towed a couple and never could quite figure out a completely smooth dropoff (without crashing them or myself into the dock:o ).

I know what I'd do... when i got close to the dock, I'd unhook the rope, drive to the boat, tie it up side by side, and drive it up to the boat dock that way. Unhook, back up, and be on your way.

jvbaca
08-23-2012, 05:27 PM
I know what I'd do... when i got close to the dock, I'd unhook the rope, drive to the boat, tie it up side by side, and drive it up to the boat dock that way. Unhook, back up, and be on your way.

Not bad thanks for the idea and reply......:)

madcityskier
08-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Probably will get flamed but just saying.......dont get caught doing the bow riding thing!

When the boat isn't running I can't see the problem. Had to get dropped at the end of a shallow channel. Easiest way to release the rope on a drive by, also the best position to paddle from best as I could figure.

rjracin240
08-24-2012, 01:49 PM
This thread might help understand why this is a bad idea all the way around

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=50386

oxberger
08-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Even if the boat is not under power its never good to sit up front like that being towed. When I was younger my dad and I towed in a 21 ft. Sea Ray. My dad wanted to use our lines, but the guy we were towing already had one attached to the front. His buddy decided to ride just like in the picture in this threadas we started to take off, mind you we took off slow, the rope snapped and came back and hit the guy in the eye. I'd never seen an eye turn that color in my life. He was lucky he didn't loose it. We found out later he went to the emergency room and ended up being ok, but he couldn't see out of it for a while. Anytime I tow anything I make sure no one is around the rope, chain, strap , whatever jsut because you never know and the energy released when something like that breaks is no joke.

JohnE
08-24-2012, 05:12 PM

What Tricky requested was that I head steadily toward the dock. When I got as close as possible (within reason) I cut my boat hard to port (in this case) and my passenger would release the line from my pylon and toss to him in his boat. Worked great. He continued with his momentum on the path we were travelling and floated to the dock, while I idled away to the left. Cutting hard got my boat out of his path and also created enough slack in the rope for my passenger to release it from the pylon. Nothing profound, but it worked well.

gts-20
08-24-2012, 07:27 PM
This is a pic of us towing in psychobilly's big Maristar 240SC on Lake Conroe. It was the first time we met up. His fuel pump/relay left him stranded, so we towed them back accross the lake to their marina. Turned out great. We became good friends and have met up on the lake several times since then. They had us over for steak dinner not to long ago. Psychobilly grills up a mean steak!