Just saw this, hope it's not a repost:

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/521434-mastercraft-names-new-chief-executive

Jay

Ski-me
08-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Wow. CEO of CC from 04-06.....

bbymgr
08-18-2012, 11:13 AM
"executive vice president, manufacturing and quality" for Bayliner? I didn't know they had QC division.

Cmpdman
08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
"executive vice president, manufacturing and quality" for Bayliner? I didn't know they had QC division.

That is a good one. ;)

JimN
08-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Until about '99, I HATED Bayliner- they used really crappy materials and if you think the MC upholstery was bad, this made it look like fine Corinthian leather. They used the L-drive, which was a total POS, the wiring sucked, the dash sucked, the gauges sucked, etc. The first '99 I winterized amazed me. Fit and finish was really good, the whole thing was nothing like what I would have expected. If they have stayed on that course (I haven't seen anything by them since, just the old stuff), they definitely turned that rocket sled to he!! around

mikeg205
08-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Until about '99, I HATED Bayliner- they used really crappy materials and if you think the MC upholstery was bad, this made it look like fine Corinthian leather. They used the L-drive, which was a total POS, the wiring sucked, the dash sucked, the gauges sucked, etc. The first '99 I winterized amazed me. Fit and finish was really good, the whole thing was nothing like what I would have expected. If they have stayed on that course (I haven't seen anything by them since, just the old stuff), they definitely turned that rocket sled to he!! around

lol... fine corinthian leather... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=192QNhVzihg

Ryan
08-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I wish him and the leadership team the best. Any QC process background will be a good help with all of the new tech options. 2 new/revised boats a year is awefully ambitious though, unless that really means one/yr equated to a PS&X version or V&X version of the same boat. Sounds like a fun and slightly terrifying job.

mikeg205
08-18-2012, 07:02 PM
I will enjoy the looking at all the innovations...even tho' I don't belong to the segment of buyers who buy new Mastercrafts. :D

On to the next boat show in chicago!!!

03geetee
08-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I will enjoy the looking at all the innovations...even tho' I don't belong to the segment of buyers who buy new Mastercrafts. :D

We should meet up this year bro!

JTR

mikeg205
08-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Threadjack alert

Anytime...skiin' in morris tomorrow....

still want to ski behind the red sparkling lady...you play euchre by chance?

psychobilly
08-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Well one thing we don't have to worry about, judging from his resume' he don't stay at one place very long. He'll be out of there in a couple of years....

barefoot
08-18-2012, 09:39 PM
^^^ Noticed that too.

All the best! Keep the ship moving!

03geetee
08-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Threadjack alert

Anytime...skiin' in morris tomorrow....

still want to ski behind the red sparkling lady...you play euchre by chance?

Ha! I rode the red sparking lady all day long today.....LOL. I meant at the boat show homie, I dont play Euchre but I drink beer so I can do anything after that.

JTR

MCVOLS
08-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Terry is a great guy personally and professionally.
It may look like he jumped around, but except for
The couple yrs at CC, it has all been with Brunswick
Boat Group primarily Sea Ray. Has been a plant mgr
And most recently head of all product dev & eng.
I met him in 1995 while working for SR. Very standup guy.

mikeg205
08-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Ha! I rode the red sparking lady all day long today.....LOL. I meant at the boat show homie, I dont play Euchre but I drink beer so I can do anything after that.

JTR

cool....

Ryan
08-19-2012, 12:26 AM

That could change "McNew said the water sports boat builder will research ways to offer models at a lower price point while being careful not to disenfranchise MasterCraft’s current offerings."

Counter points that show where the board wants to take the company:
1) Said of McNew “To be able to grow the company, we will look at different avenues that will support our brand and serve the wider market because [the water sports] market has gotten smaller." *
2) Said of Dorton "The accomplishment he is most proud of is the strategic decision to focus on the core high-end watersports enthusiast at a time when others companies were trying to appeal to a mass audience. The philosophy helped the company maintain and grow market share. Profitability is up significantly as a percentage from last year, and retail sales are up, he said." **

MC and Malibu each claim market share leadership now. I suspect MC has $ share and 'bu has unit share, maybe it's just variation in sources or time periods.

Props to Dorton as he seriously charged for growth in adjacent categories with the 300 and CS line. Since the CSXs were dropped this year, I presume that venture had low demand. I'm really intrigued with McNew's statement about serving a wider market. Is that wider than hardcore slalom and wakeboard and going to cheaper more recreational level? Dorton also lead the acquisition of Hydra-sports, anyone know if that ownership will continue? If McNew is going broader than Dorton's record, I hope it's not as broad scoped as a WetJet redux.

But, I'm no shareholder... Just a potential customer. I would love to see a 'core' cross-over that's priced under $70k. They could certainly compete better with another inboard mfr that has 1-2-3 upsell strategy that MC tried in '98-'00. I hope Dorton's retirement was amicable. He certainly helped catapult product enhancement, desire for the brand and casting a whole new era and echelon of luxury goods.

More here:
*http://www.boatingindustry.com/top-stories/2012/08/16/with-new-leadership-mastercraft-will-look-to-expand-boat-offerings/

**http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/519137-mastercraft-ceo-plans-to-retire-this-summer

2RLAKE
08-19-2012, 12:26 AM
instead of turning right into the Searay factory he has to turn left in to the MC factory now ....

soacj
08-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Seems like John Dorton's departure was likely amicable, as he reported his son was going to work for MC. As for diversification of the MC lineup, more power to Mr. McNew--just don't negatively impact my resale value!8p

Ryan
08-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Seems like John Dorton's departure was likely amicable, as he reported his son was going to work for MC. As for diversification of the MC lineup, more power to Mr. McNew--just don't negatively impact my resale value!8p

Plus he's on the board through a transition period of two years. I was just hoping it was his decision.

JohnE
08-19-2012, 08:57 AM
I don't believe it was amicable. Funny that for years I've been reading here all the objections to where mc was going and what they were producing. Now a new ceo comes in and I hear all this praise. I guess that is just human nature.

soacj
08-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Funny that for years I've been reading here all the objections to where mc was going and what they were producing. Now a new ceo comes in and I hear all this praise. I guess that is just human nature.

That'll last until the sub $40K I/O and the $50K wakeboat with transom mounted speakers are announced 8p

Seriously, you're right regarding the ironic nature of many posts.

mikeg205
08-19-2012, 10:49 AM
That'll last until the sub $40K I/O and the $50K wakeboat with transom mounted speakers are announced 8p

Seriously, you're right regarding the ironic nature of many posts.

Like that will ever happen.... my 1995 Pro Star sold new with trailer in 1995. in today's dollars that would be $37,582 plus tax. No radio, no tower, and no perfect pass.

mikeg205
08-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't believe it was amicable. Funny that for years I've been reading here all the objections to where mc was going and what they were producing. Now a new ceo comes in and I hear all this praise. I guess that is just human nature.

When people want to complain they will tell 9 people when they are happy about something they will tell 1. So plus 1 on your comment - even though I was one to complain about the skyrocketing prices of MC's.

Ryan
08-19-2012, 11:04 AM

Looks like I'm the only one that gave some praise in this thread for expansion efforts and creating a more desirable product. There were plenty of dumb decisions along the way, most are covered ad nauseum in other threads. Though I don't think vendor relationships that are/were strained or ended have been covered.

I'm bothered that MCs are priced beyond what I'm willing to pay. I touched on that one. See, I could buy a 197 tomorrow, but won't becuase I would hate writing those checks in Jan, the marginal benefit over price is so much lower that my current or next boat, and making payments on a boat breaks my financial strategy. Today, I'd rather buy used or another brand if going new, and I've heard that from alot of MC devotees switching due to the value proposition. That's lost revenue and profit. But if there is more profit on a line of 255/x55s than a base line like the discontinued X-1, then Dorton made the right choice even if I'm left out. You don't always need an upselling strategy if the used market fills that consumer need. In spite of my biggest gripe, Dorton deserves credit for the bravado required to execute a plan that walks away from potential volume in order to be profitable. There is irony there. But, I can separate my desires from the fact that he led a company through a tough decade and made some really cool boats.

However, maybe the board sees what I see. We are only a few years into a 10 year recession. Dorton's strategy, while good, depends on a rebound to deliver the payout that management owners, Penske, Wayzata and possibly some banks are looking for. That rebound hasn't occurred and it seems the share holders found someone that will deliver on a volume strategy.

Ryan
08-19-2012, 11:11 AM
instead of turning right into the Searay factory he has to turn left in to the MC factory now ....

That's funny!

soacj
08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Like that will ever happen.... my 1995 Pro Star sold new with trailer in 1995. in today's dollars that would be $37,582 plus tax. No radio, no tower, and no perfect pass.

Figured the 8p would make it clear I was joking. I'd agree that neither example is likely.