PDA

View Full Version : X7 Nose Dive

BrianT
08-18-2012, 12:54 AM
So we are down in ID and we were going through a no wake at the entrance to the Spokane River today. My kids decided to ride up in the nose and my wife went up with them. Another boat went by going a little quick and due to us going about 4.5 mph it sent 3 wakes over the nose before I could do anything about it. We were all kinda in shock and the nose of my boat was heading down. It was completely submerged when I pinned it.... I had a wall of water force the walk thru seat back open and it all went into the rest of the boat. I can't guess how many gallons went in my boat but it was a ton. My pump ran for prolly 15 min getting rid of all the water. Needless to say it scared the crap out of us!!! Now we just have to deal with soaked carpet for a while as the carpet doesn't snap out on the X7......

2RLAKE
08-18-2012, 02:58 AM
I've had the happen more on my '89 Supra Conbrio than my '02 197, but it can when people are up there .... Sorry about that

I had my buddy swamp our X14 a couple of years ago ... We were in a similar position and his X2 was loaded and plowing .... Swamped them whole boat ... iPod was actually floating on the floor

Shop vac and fans will dry it out quickly

surfacetension
08-18-2012, 11:29 AM
I did it with my Supra too, My X2 did take some water over the bow once , but since then I learned to keep the nose up when going thru a wake. My son had the boat out yesterday and got caught in the rain , drying out my carpet now as we speak. I had a little dehunidify unit that I would put under the cover for a few days on my Supra worked well

BrianT
08-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Just got back home. Towed the boat in 100 degree temps all day with the cover on. Hopefully that dried most of the carpet. I will shop vac the rest out tomorrow. That is a scary feeling watching the bow go down under water.... Gonna try not to do that again! We take on a little most times when we come around to pick up a person in the water but not like the 300 gallons yesterday.

sand2snow22
08-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Too much weight up front. I dipped the bow a few in my VTX last week. Nothing to make the bilge run, tho...

JohnE
08-19-2012, 08:09 AM
I've taken water over the bow in both my 197 and X14's. but never the amount you described. I imagine that would be scary. Bow must be close to waterline with 3 in the front of that. Even if the 3 are all lightweights.

I'd have towed with cover off to dry the boat.

Just run a fan in it until it is dry. Boat can't be any more wet than if it got caught in a good down pour, which has happened to me.

SunCoast 83
08-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I was suprised at how easy the 197 bow can be stabbed on my new one. If you have two up there and none in the back it doesn't take much!!

Gnargnar
08-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Nopowerturns.com

BrianT
08-19-2012, 10:55 PM
I was suprised at how easy the 197 bow can be stabbed on my new one. If you have two up there and none in the back it doesn't take much!!

Yup, I had my wife and 2 small kids up front and no one in the rear. Won't do that again!!

BrianT
08-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Nopowerturns.com

Address is no good

maristardd
08-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Address is no good

it resolves / is mapped to this:

http://wakeworld.com/news/feature/friends-dont-let-friends-powerturn.html

Traxx822
08-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Oh yeah. I did the same thing a couple months ago. I had 3 girls up in the bow and we were just idling don the river. Then some curuiser comes by slow but making a moster wake. I had no experience but a few hours in my MC and every other boat I owned would eat those waves. Yea the nose went right into one and a wave crashed over the boat onto the windshield rushing over and through the walk through. Same thing it took about 15 minutes to pump out. we were all scared, the girls could not believe they just got rocked like that. I now will power up and keep the nose up. Even in a no wake zone (ie downtown Chicago where the merchant vessels make wakes but you cannot. Sometimes you have to break the rules to do whats necessary. I learned though.

rhsprostar
08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
I have a 197 and run with my wife, two kids a the dog in the bow all the time. As long as you are aware of the potential for the nose dive and power up a bit you will be fine. I always feel bad for the people who haven't opwned a ski boat before and it happens for the first time, scarey stuff.
Also I find if you don't hit the rollers head on but rather at a 45 degree angle with a bit of power you will be better off.

Sodar
08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
No dunking the bow is completely doable. I regularly run with 2 adults in the bow (usually my wife & her friend) and then my best buddy in the observer's seat. When you've got people up front, you cannot head straight into wakes at idle. You've got to take them broadside. Also, if you do get water over the bow the worst thing you can do is hammer the throttle. It's better to pull back on it or even put it in reverse. When coming off plane, you also need to make a right or left turn prior to your wake coming into the stern. If you wait too long, the wake lifts your stern up and dive the bow straight down.

It takes work, but you can do it!

TayMC197
08-20-2012, 11:43 AM
I've only done this once, had 3 people in the bow... Its easy to prevent now. The thing I learned to hate is the battery box doesn't have a drain. So when it got swamped, the boat dried out fine, the battery box just holds it. I was thinking about drilling a hole for the battery box into the cooler. It also fills up when I'm washing the boat, yes I take the hose to the inside..

willyt
08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
when trying to drag race your buddy's X2 which you already know is much faster than your boat don't put all 6 people on your xstar in the bow

gatorguy
08-20-2012, 02:13 PM
... We take on a little most times when we come around to pick up a person in the water....

Really? How long have you had the boat?

BrianT
08-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Really? How long have you had the boat?

Since May of this year. It is very easy to get a little over the bow. Obviously I still need a little practice but my wife and I are getting better at it.

gatorguy
08-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Since May of this year. It is very easy to get a little over the bow. Obviously I still need a little practice but my wife and I are getting better at it.

Well that gives you a great excuse to go out. "Honey, I need to go practice driving the boat. See ya in a couple of hours.":D

CO2006X-30
08-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Shop Vac and Fans! See if you can get a air line under your carpet. Nassssty.

TayMC197
08-21-2012, 08:59 PM
It's water, some of you act like the boat never gets wet. It's a boat.. Leave in the sun for an afternoon.. Or just have it on the water. One afternoon in the sun and leave all the covers open over night. Presto, a dry 197/x7..

BrianT
08-21-2012, 09:49 PM
It's water, some of you act like the boat never gets wet. It's a boat.. Leave in the sun for an afternoon.. Or just have it on the water. One afternoon in the sun and leave all the covers open over night. Presto, a dry 197/x7..

Yup, I agree. Carpet is totally dry with no fans. Just good ole sunshine.

Latin Flyer
08-21-2012, 10:05 PM

True story here:
I get into a guys boat trought the back, im at the platform ( this is at a competiton training, so i dont knwo the guy) i,m getting ready to get into the boat and he said "wait wait wait ( he trows me a towel) we dont get in wet into this boat"

Ryan
08-21-2012, 11:37 PM
No dunking the bow is completely doable. I regularly run with 2 adults in the bow (usually my wife & her friend) and then my best buddy in the observer's seat. When you've got people up front, you cannot head straight into wakes at idle. You've got to take them broadside. Also, if you do get water over the bow the worst thing you can do is hammer the throttle. It's better to pull back on it or even put it in reverse. When coming off plane, you also need to make a right or left turn prior to your wake coming into the stern. If you wait too long, the wake lifts your stern up and dive the bow straight down.

It takes work, but you can do it!

Wait! Woah! Wife?!? When did you get married? Congrats dude! :headbang:

Sodar
08-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Wait! Woah! Wife?!? When did you get married? Congrats dude! :headbang:

We got married in November. We bought a house in Seal together and got engaged the November before that and have been dating since I brought the MasterCraft home in April of '07. Time flies when you are having fun! How long have you been away from Cali for? :confused:

CCAnderson
08-22-2012, 05:24 PM
True story here:
I get into a guys boat trought the back, im at the platform ( this is at a competiton training, so i dont knwo the guy) i,m getting ready to get into the boat and he said "wait wait wait ( he trows me a towel) we dont get in wet into this boat"

I laugh at people like this. I know a couple that wipes of the rope every time they pull it into the boat. It is a boat that is in water. It was designed to get wet.

I personally have nosed in my 209 a couple times and it is always funny when a new driver behind the wheel does it. Early this year on the Mississippi I manged to put several hundred gallons in my dads 21ft Bryant which means it is not just our inboards that get this experience. granted it was two to three foot waves. We stuck with it and found glass on the Rock River.

Ryan
08-23-2012, 03:03 PM
We got married in November. We bought a house in Seal together and got engaged the November before that and have been dating since I brought the MasterCraft home in April of '07. Time flies when you are having fun! How long have you been away from Cali for? :confused:

Since '07. Crazy huh? Seems like it was only 6 months ago that we skied LB.

mzimme
08-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I laugh at people like this. I know a couple that wipes of the rope every time they pull it into the boat. It is a boat that is in water. It was designed to get wet.

I personally have nosed in my 209 a couple times and it is always funny when a new driver behind the wheel does it. Early this year on the Mississippi I manged to put several hundred gallons in my dads 21ft Bryant which means it is not just our inboards that get this experience. granted it was two to three foot waves. We stuck with it and found glass on the Rock River.

You up in the quad cities? That's where I grew up if so.

CCAnderson
08-24-2012, 09:04 AM
parents have a house on the river half way between Muscatine and Davenport. We spend a lot of time in Velie Chute and Andalusia Slough. It is the only place in Iowa that I know where you can barefoot several miles without seeing another boat. If the wind is too bad out of the east or west we run up to the Rock river.

mzimme
08-24-2012, 09:10 AM
parents have a house on the river half way between Muscatine and Davenport. We spend a lot of time in Velie Chute and Andalusia Slough. It is the only place in Iowa that I know where you can barefoot several miles without seeing another boat. If the wind is too bad out of the east or west we run up to the Rock river.

It's great to know those rivers make for good skiing. My parents were never boat people, so we didn't ever get out on the river and I grew up there from the day I was born (the QC). I'll eventually be moving back there, so it makes me happy knowing my MC will get some use out there. How fast does that river flow? Is there much debris in it?

moleson10
08-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Been there with my old 197 though never that bad. It's one of the reasons we sold.

The trick I found is this. If you're not in a position to speed up and raise the bow (pretty common in no wake zones or when there isn't time) just reverse hard. Water won't come over the bow if you are going the same speed as the waves or faster.