PDA

View Full Version : Open bow, open door cruising poll

rlivingood
09-01-2005, 02:09 AM
If you have an open bow boat do you cruise with the window secured open or closed? Or anyway it just happens to be at the time?

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Always open! My :D teenage daughter and her friend love to lounge up there.

Leroy
09-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Always open until it's cold enough to put the wind break below the window also.

Cary K.
09-01-2005, 08:02 AM

I second that comment. Gotta have the breeze when its hot, gotta block the wind when it's cold.

sten76
09-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Yep, open when hot, closed when cold. Pretty simple equation.

MarkP
09-01-2005, 08:35 AM
I second that comment. Gotta have the breeze when its hot, gotta block the wind when it's cold.
Yep,

Its an open and shut case..

SteveO
09-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Open when hot, closed when not

shepherd
09-01-2005, 08:43 AM
Yep,

Its an open and shut case..

:rolleyes: open and shut :rolleyes:

Crash
09-01-2005, 10:35 AM
This seems to be one weakness in ALL boats, the walk through window. Someone needs to re-engineer the concept. They all work their way loose and misaligned over time and waves. There's gotta be a better solution.

Mag_Red
09-01-2005, 11:13 AM
This seems to be one weakness in ALL boats, the walk through window. Someone needs to re-engineer the concept. They all work their way loose and misaligned over time and waves. There's gotta be a better solution.YOu could do what I've seen on some Malibu's.......step over the windshield to get to the bow area. :rolleyes:

kdr
09-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Alway's closed. If I get above 15 mph with the thing open, it won't close back. My windshield is all fubar though. When I bought the boat, several screws were missing from the frame. It's been on the to do list to fix it, and now that the gas prices are keeping me off the water, I might actually get it fixed.

AirJunky
09-01-2005, 11:28 AM
And a 3rd..... depends on the air temps.

jraben8
09-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Open when hot, closed when not

Yea, what he said...

east tx skier
09-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Closed. I have a piece of sunbrella that I snap in in the cooler months (not that there are many of those here).

mcprostar197
09-01-2005, 11:56 AM
If you have an open bow boat do you cruise with the window secured open or closed? Or anyway it just happens to be at the time?

You need a selection for closed when no one is in the bow, and open when people are in the bow.

wiltok
09-01-2005, 12:13 PM
The old Malibu owners site had a "how to" for building a plexiglass for covering the opening below the hinged window. Anyone make something like that for their MC?

east tx skier
09-01-2005, 12:22 PM
I considered it, but was advised of the possibility of it cracking under stress. Don't know if that's really a concern or not though. I just had a local fabric sho order and do a border seam on a piece of sunbrella. I added snaps and it's worked great for two seasons.

I do remember that "how to." I think it's on wakesiderides.com now.

mcprostar197
09-01-2005, 12:25 PM
The old Malibu owners site had a "how to" for building a plexiglass for covering the opening below the hinged window. Anyone make something like that for their MC?

If you're talking about the area that I think you are, MC has a hinged seat that goes there and keeps the wind from coming through.

jmyers
09-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Hey Rod, I keep it closed when we are cruising, I worry it will bounce even though it is snapped open when the water is rough or if you hit an unexpected wave! I always forget there is a snap to keep it open, I wish it had one on top of the window too!

peason
09-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Hot=open
Cold=closed
We usually have a pretty full boat so we need the extra room - just to keep the kids from bickering!

Crash
09-01-2005, 01:34 PM

Previous owner made a snap in vinyl piece for the walkway area. Works great at blocking the wind on cold days/nights (kids like to hide behind it as it's the warmest spot) and folds up really small for storage.

Leroy
09-01-2005, 02:09 PM
I like this, very practical, but afraid it would look like another cheezy thing I've made! Canvas with snaps works well enough for me now.

wiltok
09-01-2005, 03:41 PM
I actually have the snap together canvas blocker - but I was looking for something more high tech. I also have the jump seat - it doesn't really block the wind that much.

One other tip - NEVER try to close the window while the boat is moving. You will force it half way, and when it starts to close the wind grabs it and SLAMS it shut. Shattered a window on my old I/O like that...

BradD
09-01-2005, 03:46 PM
My pass thru window is sitting in my office. The metal was cracked so I took to work to have it welded. It's sitting back in the shop. I haven't missed yet. As a matter of fact, with 5 kids, it's nice not having them bump there head going under or playing with it when it's open. I'm sure when it gets cool I'll want it...that is assuming I get the boat running right.