PDA

View Full Version : Good Slalom Ski

JaredOSU
08-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Does anyone know of a good slalom ski that is an intermediate level ski? I have a D3-X5, but it likes speeds of about 34+ mph. I need a good transition ski that is a little less agressive. I had a KD 7000 and it was a good ski. Any suggestions.

lettmeknow
08-17-2012, 06:01 PM
The 2011 x7 should do the trick.

mikeg205
08-17-2012, 06:40 PM
2012 Triumph good for lower speed- I would buy it on size down that is recommended - but it has minimal fin adjustment - 2012 Coefficient X. If you liked the KD you'll like the Coefficient. my .02

JaredOSU
08-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys!

jamisonsbrodie
08-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Radar Senate is a great intermediate ski that will take you well beyond. It will be a lot more stable than your X5 and more forgiving. The X7 is merely a faster version of the X5 and I love mine, but it hunts for an edge and is not a ski for intermediate skiers looking for a stable ride.

_fng_
08-20-2012, 10:33 PM
slight thread jack but is this ski worth the money?
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/spo/3189070788.html

I have this ski (second hand from my dad) and I like it but the bindings are falling apart so I'm looking at a replacement that isn't crazy expensive (new bindings are more than this entire setup). I don't suck but am not great so don't need anything spectacular but don't something that will "hold me back". Ski at 32 mph on pp.

Also how much does ski size matter? I'm 5'11" and the 66" doesn't bother me but should I look for something bigger?

Thanks for any help.

pram
08-20-2012, 10:42 PM
I would not buy that ski even if it was $10

a 66 I would hazard to guess is a couple of inches too small for you

if you have stopped growing, buy a ski that you can keep for the next 10 plus years

_fng_
08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
if you have stopped growing, buy a ski that you can keep for the next 10 plus years

Any suggestions on a good intermediate ski that could be found used for less than $300?

pram
08-21-2012, 01:40 AM
the cdx in this ad is a good deal, afaik you can still buy this ski brand new from Wileys in Seattle, ho only produces it for them
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/spo/3167087795.html

you could buy something like this brand new from Wileys
http://www.wileyski.com/shopproductdetail.asp?prodID=4413&catID=26

you can also check out this site
http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Slalom
there are lots of skis in your price range that you are looking to spend

_fng_
08-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the help, going to pick up that triumph as it seems a lot of people like that ski.

pram
08-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the help, going to pick up that triumph as it seems a lot of people like that ski.

Excellent

BIGBADBLUE
08-21-2012, 02:04 PM
I really dislike my Triumph ... I really feel like it is slow. I consider this a much more of a cruiser ski. I am at 32MPH 15off and not close to 22 off. :)

MC209
08-23-2012, 08:46 PM
I rock a Radar Senate C. The ski is perfect for all around skiing. you can take it to the coarse, or you can do some open water freestyling and it hanldes all well. It is not a advanced ski, but a very nice intermediate that I find very forgiving.

_fng_
08-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Got a 2011 HO triumph 67 with basis front and floating rtp from my local shop that gave me a good deal. Got out this morning and like the ski but conditions weren't great so there is probably a lot more to learn about the ski. Getting up and carving in so much easier but I get more of a kick at the wake (probably due to it being wider than previous ski).

The rear toe plate is a hassle cause it isn't an easy slip-in so I spent awhile on each run getting my foot buried. The bungee system on the rtp, even when loosed to max, seems to fold in when I try to slide my foot in causing it to bunch up. Before I trade in the rtp (hopefully they'll allow it) is there any quick fixes?

Thanks again for all the help, this ski is definitely an upgrade from the 20 year old stick I had before.

skijwr
08-26-2012, 11:11 PM
fng, from my experience, if you are really patient, you can get double Animal bindings or double Approach for good deals on ebay, ski it again, or craigslist. Generally the asking price for used bindings on ads is about half to third of retail or so. Just be careful if you buy used, inspect all photos, ask about damage.

My best find so far was buying NEW animals (year old models) for $25 each on ebay. But you have to check each week, over and over. If you want to buy today, then not easy to get the lowest price.

Animal bindings retail for $180 each new, or $360 pair.

_fng_
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
fng, from my experience, if you are really patient, you can get double Animal bindings or double Approach for good deals on ebay, ski it again, or craigslist. Generally the asking price for used bindings on ads is about half to third of retail or so. Just be careful if you buy used, inspect all photos, ask about damage.

My best find so far was buying NEW animals (year old models) for $25 each on ebay. But you have to check each week, over and over. If you want to buy today, then not easy to get the lowest price.

Animal bindings retail for $180 each new, or $360 pair.

I like the front binding, its the rear toe plate that I don't like. I don't really care for double boots on a ski so will probably find a nonadjustable rtp when the price is right and until that time I'll just deal with it as needed.