PDA

View Full Version : Maine ideas?

shepherd
08-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Wife and I are going to Maine for 5 days in September. The only thing on the agenda so far is to fly into Manchester, NH, rent car, drive up the Maine coast and eat a bunch of lobster and lobster rolls.

Any suggestions on places to go or other things to do? I'd like to mix in some physical activities (kayaking? hiking? biking?) to help burn off some calories. I'd really like to rent a boat and do some exploring. I've seen a lot of info about Acadia Natl Park, but that seems like a long haul from Manchester.

Thanks!

ccelia
08-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I make a trip up to Bar Harbor, ME every year and it is a lot of fun. I am not sure how far it is from Manchester, but if you are looking for physical activities, Acadia National Park has some great hiking trails, carriage roads to bike, and plenty of places to rent kayaks and such. There are a bunch of little harbors around Acadia with great restaurants and shops. There are plenty of places to stay and should be reasonable since tourist season is nearing the end.

September will be perfect weather in Maine, although it does start to get cooler at nights that time of year. The lobster market was flooded this year and we were picking up lobster off the boat for $4.00 a pound.

I've heard good things about Portland too, altought I have never been. If you are into microbrews, there are quite a few breweries that you can tour.

JohnE
08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Drive an hour or so south and ski the course with JohnE? Water will be a bit cool compared to what you are used to, but the upside is no gators.

shepherd
08-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the offer John. It's tempting. The plan is to head north from MHT, but maybe we can swing down that way on the Sunday before we go home if you'll be around - we're flying out of MHT very early Monday morning. I'll PM you.

Covi
08-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Popham Beach just this side of Bath is awesome. Sebago lake is very nice. Old orchard beach for tourist trap stuff. Booth bay habor for quaint tourist trap. Old port of Portland is also cool.

JohnE
08-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Shep, the airport is just over an hour from my house. PM sent, we can play it by ear. Sorry, for as close as I live to there, I never spend any time in Maine. I think you picked a great time to go. After labor day when crowds are gone but before the weather cools too much.