PDA

View Full Version : 84 S&S with No Spark

sxerob
08-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Ok Ladies and Germs,

Took the boat to the lake this last week. Went up to almost 8000 ft elevation and didnt rejet so I had some issues starting the thing. Went back down to sea level on the way home and tried my luck at a lake by a friends house but when I tried to fire, I wasn't getting any spark.

Here is where Im at now: I have a Flamethrower 1.5ohm coil and the Pertronix electronic ignition. I have tested the coil and the resistance is within spec (1.5). I used a test light to see if I could get spark and I didnt see anything. Tested to see if there was power to the coil by putting a test light on the (+) lead and the light turned on, meaning power to the coil. Tested to see if the ignitor was switching the ground by cranking the engine with a test light on the (-) lead and it blinked, indicating that its switching ground.My dist is turning. Could the coil be within spec but still be bad? Seems like the only thing, correct?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Is your rotor on the dist shaft or in your toolbox? Seriously could be a bad rotor arcing direct to the dist shaft.

sxerob
08-17-2012, 01:54 AM
The dizzy spins but I hadnt check the ground. The prob is that there is no spark before, there is no spark at the coil.

Sent using Tapatalk

thatsmrmastercraft
08-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Have you checked the kill switch?

TRBenj
08-17-2012, 09:50 AM
The kill switch would cut power to the ignition system (+ side of coil). Sounds like thats not the issue.

If youre getting a solid trigger signal (- side of coil), but no spark out of the coil, then I would say your coil is shot. If you spark out of the coil, but not at the plugs, then I would inspect and/or replace the cap and rotor.

I would also ditch the test light for a real voltmeter/multimeter.

sxerob
08-17-2012, 12:16 PM
That's what I thought. Plus, not sure I have a kill switch in the boat. Maybe the PO took it out. We're are they located on these old boats?

Also, I have both test light and a multi. Test light was quicker to register results when starting and looking for spark than a multi but used the multi for resistance readings.

Sent using Tapatalk

mzimme
08-17-2012, 12:22 PM
There's no kill switch.

sxerob
08-17-2012, 10:24 PM
New Flametrower Coil (thankfully O'Reily's had it so I didn't have to order one online) and it fired right up!

Only thing is that I had a 1.5ohm and they only had a 0.6ohm. I don't think that's a big deal as most of the people I have seen have the 0.6ohm.

Sent using Tapatalk