PDA

View Full Version : Shaft removal

TCrate
08-31-2005, 10:00 PM
I have a 92 Prostar and I need to pull the shaft. My question is how do you remove the coupler from the shaft. Is there a special puller that can be used? Thanks.

TC

jimmer2880
09-01-2005, 06:45 AM
I should just be an Allan set screw on one side (or - is it a couple?) Either way - it's just allen screws.1 word of advice - before you pull, pour some lube down your strut & turn the shaft a couple times to get that nice & slick.

You guys have no idea how hard it was talking about strut's & shafts without getting censored.

DanC
09-01-2005, 11:13 AM
13 year old boat, may be a tough time.
Last time I tried to remove a 10 year old drive shaft, there was no way the coupler was coming off. I used an electric saw with a blade made for cutting stainless steel and cut the shaft between the coupler and the packing gland. It took two blades to get all the way through. I then took the stub of shaft and coupler to my dealer and he used a hydraulic press and pressed the shaft stub out of the coupler. He said he had a real tough time getting it out, even with the press.

Beavis and Butthead are probably busting a gut right now :purplaugh

dchatagnon
10-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Hi,

I'm trying also to remove my shaft on my 93 PS190. What is the size of the bolt on the coupler side? I have to buy the right tool for it. Anyway, If I can't remove it, i will have to go with an electric saw and put a brand new shaft...

Damien

Dan K
10-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Remove the set screws from the coupling and add penetrating oil with hole upright and letit sit awhile. I got mine off my 81 last year with alot of patience and some beating on the main part of the coupling. Dont hit it on the flange you'll bend it. What really helped was to move it as far back as possible and insert a socket a little smaller than your shaft size inbetweent the sections of coupling and then I used some longer bolts and squeezed it back together, the socket forced the shaft out.

dchatagnon
10-19-2005, 04:55 PM
ok thanks. Is there a bolt to remove on the shaft before to do that?

Dan K
10-19-2005, 05:06 PM
The shaft is keyed and has two set screws in the side of the coupling that fit into a couple of holes in the shaft. Remove the set screws completly. There isn't a nut or bolt inside the coupling holding the shaft in place.

dchatagnon
10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
ok thanks Dan!

Damien.

chico
10-19-2005, 06:39 PM
that 92 shaft may have a tapered end at the coupler.it is held on with a nut inside the coupler.you need a coupler holder or a pipe wrench to hold the coupler while turning the nut.then you may need a puller to get the coupler off.

dchatagnon
10-21-2005, 02:03 PM
I confirm. there is a nut on the shaft. I just had to remove and holding the coupler with the right tool. pretty easy to do!

M-Funf
10-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Remove the set screws from the coupling and add penetrating oil with hole upright and letit sit awhile. I got mine off my 81 last year with alot of patience and some beating on the main part of the coupling. Dont hit it on the flange you'll bend it. What really helped was to move it as far back as possible and insert a socket a little smaller than your shaft size inbetweent the sections of coupling and then I used some longer bolts and squeezed it back together, the socket forced the shaft out.

I did the oil trick on my '76, but it didn't help much. I made a custom puller that spanned across the engine side of the flange with UNF threaded bolts on the outer portion of the flange, and a big bolt pushing on the end of the shaft. I got the flange off, but it took quite a bit...

If anybody needs it, I've still got it and would send it to somebody who needs to pull their flange...(as long as I get it back...)

wesgardner
11-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Hey All,

I pulled my shaft this weekend as the short rubber hose between the stuffing box and stern tube looked bad...may have been original. My shaft is a double taper with castle not on the inside of the coupling (requires 1 1/4" socket). To pull the shaft from the coupling I borrowed a Reverse 2/3 Pully Puller from Auto Zone - worked like a shot after I cranked in enough tension and then wacked the coupling, it popped off...I didn't have to resort to heating the coupling, that would have been the next step. There was enough room once the shaft was backed up against the stuffing box to get the puller on the coupling, thank you MC...

I didn't shoot any pics as my daughter was using her dig...kids, go figure :D

Wes

jimmer2880
11-22-2005, 06:06 AM
Hey All,

I pulled my shaft this weekend as the short rubber hose between the stuffing box and stern tube looked bad...may have been original. My shaft is a double taper with castle not on the inside of the coupling (requires 1 1/4" socket). To pull the shaft from the coupling I borrowed a Reverse 2/3 Pully Puller from Auto Zone - worked like a shot after I cranked in enough tension and then wacked the coupling, it popped off...I didn't have to resort to heating the coupling, that would have been the next step. There was enough room once the shaft was backed up against the stuffing box to get the puller on the coupling, thank you MC...

I didn't shoot any pics as my daughter was using her dig...kids, go figure :D

Wes

Hey Wes - It's probably too late, but if you need another rubber boot and packing nut assembly, I have a spare I took off my boat when I put the PSS system on. It's yours if you want it.

Ben
11-22-2005, 07:22 AM
I have a 92 Prostar and I need to pull the shaft. My question is how do you remove the coupler from the shaft. Is there a special puller that can be used? Thanks.

TC

I haven't done this for a while, but I seem to remember using an old extra coupling I got from the MC dealer that I bolted to the prop side of the shaft and pounding on that, while leaving the main coupling bolted to trans. This seemed odd, but it's what they said they do, and it worked fine. And, they had the beat up old couplings to prove it... You're welcome to use it if you want. I'm right by great lakes mall.

wesgardner
11-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey jimmer,

Thanks for the offer, yep...too late, all's better now

Thanks again

Wes

WilliM1940
03-12-2006, 01:11 PM
I am about to pull the shaft from the back of the transmission to check for strut clearance and alignment. I unbolted the flange, but down at the flange neck facing the stuffing box is a hole which appears to have a cotter pin set in a recess (going through the shaft?). What am I looking at, has anyone ever seen this setup? There are no setscrews like I see described here. Is it now safe to whack on the prop end of the shaft to pull it away from the trans? I have a cast iron pulley to use as an inertia puller.