PDA

View Full Version : worth a shot here

docster
08-16-2012, 09:17 PM
this forum is much more heavily used than supra boats, anyone know anything about the supra La Brisa. its a 1995 model, with GT-40 motor. thoughts on it?

Cloaked
08-16-2012, 09:27 PM
this forum is much more heavily used than supra boats, anyone know anything about the supra La Brisa. its a 1995 model, with GT-40 motor. thoughts on it?
That engine doesn't know what hull it has been installed. What's your problem? Engine type, fuel source, marinization, etc....

east tx skier
08-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Welcome.

I might have a couple of answers if you ask the right questions. My brother in law has a 99 Comp and my boat has a PCM GT40 (mpi) engine in it.

I don't have any knowledge concerning the La Brisa model. But I can tell you that Supra went to composite stringers in either the early or mid 90s. 95 rings a bell.

As for the GT40, it is a phenominal motor, possibly one of the best marine engines ever built. Loads of mid range torque. Any problems it has are typically fuel pressure related (if that is helpful at some point).

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cJ51PTGaXCc/Sl3oTW2nnWI/AAAAAAAACXo/OGD10mW49AE/s948/GT40.jpg

docster
08-16-2012, 09:37 PM
supra when composite in 1993, so i am clear there. I am not sure what hull it is, i have heard same as the older mariah, but not for sure. its 21 ft long, well 20 ft 6 inches. it is EFI, but thats about all i know. there is very limited info on the web on them because Supra doesnt archive that far back, and it was sold as a family ski boat, so they hardly sold any at all.

docster
08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
sorry, simple misunderstanding...read a bit fast and did not think before responding...fail on my part

homer12
08-16-2012, 09:41 PM
i think you are correct in saying it is a Mariah. It is either that or a Conbrio. Got pics? And yes, '93 was the year they went composite stringers

east tx skier
08-16-2012, 09:41 PM
whats my problem? thats a great way to promote the TT forums and its friendly helpful environment.

Easy there. I think he was assuming you owned the boat in question and might be having engine trouble. In other words, "What kind of problems are you having with the boat? Maybe I could help you if I knew more."

As far as the Supra La Brisa, from looking at pictures of it, it looks a bit like a Comp with the windshield pushed back a touch to accommodate the open bow. The V looks to be a bit deep. I have had two family members who have owned Supras and I have skied that comp numerous times. It's fine, but as a skier, I wouldn't own one. The seating has always been too low slung for me and I'm not nuts about the layout from the driver's perspective. The build quality is fine, but nothing to write home about. I have been in newer Supra wake board boats, however, and they are very nicely constructed from what I could tell. But back to the Comp, the wake behind the one that I have skied is large and a bit firm. I think that can be tweaked with the cavitation plates supras of that era relied upon. But we haven't found the sweet spot yet.

Now, to be honest, as long as I'm on the lake, I don't care much what I ski behind. But comparing that boat to several MasterCrafts, Nautiques, and Malibus I have skied, I think you'll find a bit smoother ride behind those brands. Now, if you're a wakeboarder, it may be a different story. And I'm certainly not qualified to comment on wakeboard wakes.

I want to stress that this is a pretty unbiased review about a boat of a similar era, but not the one you are considering. The engine is top notch. The boat may be fine for your needs depending what those needs are.

ntidsl
08-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Had an 87 TS6m Comp...and have bruises to this day from kicking myself in the A** for selling it...Easties is correct, wake not as nice as my MC, tracking neither...but that boat was sexy!!! If it hadn't been for the wood stringers I'd have that boat still to this day.

ttu
08-16-2012, 10:36 PM
here is a 96.

http://www.texasmastercraft.com/vehicle/used-1996-supra-la-brisa-1049089.cfml?refby=dealersite#ar_top

don't know much about that model but i had pretty good luck on my previous supra. texas mastercraft had a awesome looking mc sportstar that i posted yested but look like it sold.

madcityskier
08-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Mariah hull. Not a bad ski wake, but not great. It's very weight sensitive. If you really want to ski leave the tank under 1/2 and don't carry extra gear. If you want to wakeboard load it with people and you will have a reasonable intermediate wake. It'll get better with ballast. Best results are along the sides of the engine box and slightly astern. That way it doesn't hurt performance much. Comfortable for 8 with a reasonable amount of gear (slalom, combos, 2 kneedoards, drag a tube behind on a short rope, and a cooler), or around ten with minimal gear, though with kids you might be able to go a little more. I think stated capacity was 8 or 10. The one I've been on is running the 240hp 351w, and that's sufficient for most things. If you're gonna foot, you'll be glad you have a bit more power. Doesn't like rough water. We have had to jack the walk thru apart to lift the windshield back into place as the hull flex let it fall down beyond the normal stop it rests on. Fairly easy to take a wave over the bow if you're not careful. Overall should be a bit cheaper than a comparable MasterCraft Malibu or Nautique. I've known two people who snapped rudders off of Supra's, so stay away from powerturns.

BrooksfamX2
08-17-2012, 01:19 AM
here is a 96.

http://www.texasmastercraft.com/vehicle/used-1996-supra-la-brisa-1049089.cfml?refby=dealersite#ar_top

don't know much about that model but i had pretty good luck on my previous supra. texas mastercraft had a awesome looking mc sportstar that i posted yested but look like it sold.

Classic 90's colors..........:cool:

waterbug
08-17-2012, 12:02 PM
The GT40 is a phenominal motor, I certainly agree. Had one in my 196 Nautique. Best motor ever as far as I'm concerned. Over 1800 hours without any problems. My fuel pressure problems were common, but just the fuel pump relays on the back of the motor. Very common failure. I carried 2 extras in my glovebox. Less than $6 each at NAPA. Takes just a minute to replace and no tools needed. I had to replace both relays a few times

docster
08-17-2012, 04:10 PM
glad to hear its a good motor. Basically we want a do it all boat. We wakeboard, ski, kneeboard, and tube. ALso love to float and have a good time using it as a mobile swim platform. Think this would be a good fit for us. We just want something we can bring some friends with and have a good time. Use will be primarly in moderate sized lakes (~1000 acres) and rivers.

Thanks for all the help thus far.