PDA

View Full Version : What is the best fuel, octane etc. for a 91 tristar?

Steve-O-Reeno
08-16-2012, 05:44 PM
What is the best fuel, octane etc. for a 91 tristar?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-16-2012, 07:48 PM
87 works for me at 44 ft above sea level, '89 TS190...

Cloaked
08-16-2012, 08:31 PM
87 works for me at 44 ft above sea level, '89 TS190...
And at $3.45 per gal :)

catamount
08-16-2012, 08:39 PM
For me, the best octane is whatever they're selling ethanol-free! That's 91 octane in Colchester, VT for about $3.90 a gallon.

east tx skier
08-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Manual says 89 Octane. That's what I would use. EngineNut (a/k/a Indmar tech) explained the recommendation as follows: 87 octane is fine in this engine. 85 octane is not. Indmar recommends 89 octane because boat fuel tends to sit around a bit.

You have nothing to retard timing in that boat. It may cost $3.00 per tank to put 89 in it versus 87. That's what I would suggest unless you are burning through full tanks of gas every two weeks.

wheelerd
08-17-2012, 12:28 AM
. . . and, as other threads on this topic have pointed out, the guys who run premium thinking the higher octane will give them more power are just wasting their money.

To quote a post on honda-tech.com:

"Using 93 octane indirectly enhances your performance, here's how:
By paying for it you empty out your wallet faster, thereby giving you less weight and ultimately faster acceleration times." :smile:

Steve-O-Reeno
08-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Took her out for the maiden voyage today!

east tx skier
08-18-2012, 10:16 PM
. . . and, as other threads on this topic have pointed out, the guys who run premium thinking the higher octane will give them more power are just wasting their money.

To quote a post on honda-tech.com:

"Using 93 octane indirectly enhances your performance, here's how:
By paying for it you empty out your wallet faster, thereby giving you less weight and ultimately faster acceleration times." :smile:

That is true when the manufacturer tells you to use 87 and you use 93. Traditionally, most Hondas were rated for 85 octane. So, with 87, even if it sits around, a month or so, it'll be fine. Since in 91, Indmar and MC said to use 89, using 93 would be pretty useless unless you mixed it with 2 parts 87. But putting straight 87 in the boat unless you plan to run it all through pretty quickly is something I would not suggest. On my schedule, the 87 I put in originally probably isn't 87 now (and I use fuel stabilizer during the season). Sad, but not uncommon.

Some car manufacturers will say use Premium for best performance. That means you won't hurt it if you run 87, but you'll get better performance and fuel economy using the higher octane fuel. But these manufacturers know they won't sell as many cars in the United States if they don't say it's okay to use the cheap stuff.

I recently switched cars and my VW is a use Premium type of vehicle. My gas bill has gone up a whopping $11. It just doesn't cost that much more unless you're putting serious miles on your car on a daily basis.

madcityskier
08-18-2012, 10:29 PM
IMO no ethanol is much more important than higher octane. For the same prolonged storage reason. And 3.45, I'm very jealous as 87 even with eth is around 3.70-3.75 here.

Steve-O-Reeno
08-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Soooo...based on what sounds like good advice I went seeking no octane fuel. I learned some stations refer to it as marine gas and sell it for $4.13 to 4.39 per gallon. Dang.

skijwr
08-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Steve-O, try this website as a start to find some ethanol free gas stations. I found it very useful.
Generally, I pay 10 to 20 cents more per gallon for ethanol free in East Tennessee.
I have many friends who run ethanol free in all of their cars, trucks, boats, lawn mowers, weed eaters, etc.

http://pure-gas.org/