PDA

View Full Version : Old steamboat emerges

mzimme
08-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I live right along the Missouri river in Kansas City (well, like a mile from the bank), and while it's not really safe to ski in, which is unfortunate because its always glass, some cool stories pop up from time to time. Since the water is so low right now, wrecked ships from the 19th century have been popping up... here's the story on one of them.

http://fox2now.com/2012/08/10/the-steamboat-montana-resurfaces-in-the-missouri-river/

If that thing could go down the river, I could surely put a little ski boat in there, right? Although.. I'd probably meet the same fate as the steamboat.... a log.

Dylan
08-16-2012, 08:33 PM
"She was longer than a football field...."

Seems like a skier would be no problem, but I definitely would not want to suffer the same fate. Great article, thank you for sharing!

mikeg205
08-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks for sharing...yet another story of a craft hitting a submerged tree...

trickskier
08-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Saw it on the news last night - Truly amazing how low the river is. Fox News reported today that food prices will jump 5%-7% because the barges cannot take a full load due to the low water table.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-17-2012, 02:00 AM
Very cool seeing the old boats. During college I worked on a paddle-wheel excursion boat...........fortunately it always stayed on top of the water.