PDA

View Full Version : Seat hinges for cooler seat?

Thrall
08-16-2012, 01:00 PM
I know MC has fancy hinges for the seat bottom where the cooler goes, but they're not standard on all the boats and they're a non-typical Z shaped looking thing.
I've been going to add them for a while but haven't gotten around to getting the parts.

While using my buddy's 'BU last week, his side seats are hinged at the front with a piano hinge so that they flip up from the back.

Thinking this is a good idea for the side seats, especially the one with the cooler under it on my X2 and it's cheap. Can get a length of stainless piano hinge for like $30.
Has anyone done this?
If so, does the front edge of the seat sit up noticably higher with the hinge sandwiched in between the seat base and tub?

hbomb
08-17-2012, 01:20 AM
thrall......some pictures of the "lift" up seats and cooler - hbomb

Thrall
08-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Wow, you get a new boat?

Thought you had an old(er) X2.
I've seen the MC setups and the hinges and hardware are not cheap. That's why I was thinking piano hinge.

surfacetension
08-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Love it , I have an X2 also and everytime we go in the cooler we wish they had put it behind the drivers seat........... someone has to get up everytime we use it . Plus you have to put the seat some where when your in it

jgraham37128
08-21-2012, 08:56 AM
I agree. I have an X2 and it's not the best set up. We were talking this last weekend while in the boat and said every boat should have an easy set up to get to the cooler and a built in trash can. It blows my mind there's no built in trash can on every boat. It's either in the way or under a seat.

Thrall
08-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Built in garbage can is a great idea too. ALways have one flyin around inside the boat until there's enough empties in it to hold it down.
Buddy's Malibu, same one with the piano hinges on the seats, has enough room under the helm that a plastic trash can fits under there nicely (with a big rock in the bottom to keep it from tipping over).
Haven't found any slick ways for the trash can, other than maybe making another cupholder without a bottom in the starboard gunnel area routing down to a trash box under the seat behind the driver. Running out of room there, because I already added pull out heater vents on each side, kinda like a 4th cup holder.
Another winter project.

ttu
08-21-2012, 02:15 PM
thrall, can you get a picture of your friends malibu. i also have a x2 and wish i could add hinge.

BrooksfamX2
08-21-2012, 02:22 PM
This is on my list of off season projects. I have been thinking of removing the cooler lid and incorporating it on the bottom of the seat so when you lift the seat, the cooler is open. We dont take the cooler out of the boat except to empty the water. I could put a drain hose to the bilge in also so I dont need to lift the cooler out to drain it. Little extra ballast never hurt..........

tommydbouy
04-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Thrall,

Did you ever add a hinge to cooler seat? It seems like a good idea.

jmw
04-25-2013, 10:45 PM
I added a hinge to my 214V a few weeks ago because I got sick of that seat flying around when trailering. I measured my other hinges and purchased an aluminum one for a bayliner (junkliner) and it works great. I'm probably going to add the lift catch soon and it's $50 from MC and I haven't seen anything that can be modified. Here is the part I ordered http://greatlakesskipper.com/en_us/bayliner-1755699-aluminum-2-1-2-x-4-3-4-x-12-inch-13-gage-boat-hinge-single, I cut it in half making 2 hinges, my seat bottom was actually already drilled and had the tee-nuts installed but you can get the stainless bolts and tee-nuts if you need them at lowes. (I purchased and then found out my seat was pre-drilled) I pulled a hinge off the long seat to drill my holes to match the seat and I wanted them to look the same. Cheap and fixed the problem. I can get some pics this weekend of it installed in anyone wants pics...

tommydbouy
04-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Yes, pics would be great. Does the cushion with the hinge open without interfering with the seatback?

jmw
04-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Will get pics this weekend, have to look for something else for another tt member also. It opens the same as the larger seat about 80% which is why I will probably install the lift catch later but the cooler can be opened and removed easily.

jmw
04-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Here are the pics of the hinges and seat installed.

jmw
04-27-2013, 08:32 AM
I know the boat is dirty... Been in the barn all winter and haven't cleaned it for season yet for all you MCOCD folks don't worry.

tommydbouy
04-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks jmw. So it looks like the hinge is connected to the vertical surface if the boat. correct?

jmw
04-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Yes mounts vertically, it's basically the same dimensions as the MC factory hinges and mounts the same way just considerably cheaper. The only thing I did was cut it in half and drill holes. The lines drawn on the hinge are actually where I laid the MC hinge on it to mark it for drilling.

ZachDaddy
04-28-2013, 09:04 PM
I found this on ebay....

jmw
04-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't think the motor hinge will work for the cooler seat because the screw holes face the wrong direction and you need something that will set flush with the seat back or bottom.

mramerman@gmail.com
04-29-2013, 10:46 AM
You might consider this step next. Makes a huge difference accessing the cooler and libations.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=808746#post808746

jmw
04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Yes that is my next step just haven't gotten around to ordering one. Do you know the part #? I was told about $50 from MC from a guy at our lake that also installed one.

ZachDaddy
05-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Can someone verify that these are the correct hinges for the seat of the cooler that y'all are talking about?94434

ZachDaddy
05-03-2013, 08:15 PM
The seat stay-hatch part number is 539225

Grant777
05-04-2013, 06:14 AM
My X-2 has that evil black metal clip positioned at the back center of the cooler seat. Is it easy to attach the new hinges onto the underside of the seat cover?

Stefan
05-05-2013, 02:19 AM
Can someone verify that these are the correct hinges for the seat of the cooler that y'all are talking about?94434

They look just like them...

BrooksfamX2
05-05-2013, 10:26 AM
My X-2 has that evil black metal clip positioned at the back center of the cooler seat. Is it easy to attach the new hinges onto the underside of the seat cover?

I took the metal clip off. My seat fits pretty tight with out it.......I want to do the hinge (2007 X2) but it looks like I would not be able to get the cooler in/out as the seat would block it. Thinking about putting hinges on the front so it lifts forward. Then put a cooler seal on the seat bottom and not use the lid so I don't need to deal with it either.

ZachDaddy
05-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Now that I have $75 dollars invested in hinges and the latch. I think that I will have a similar problem.

Lex at Rambo Marine did find some hinges for me but now I'm not sure i want to go to all the trouble to fight a different battle.

jmw
05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
You can take the cooler in and out with the seat hinges installed because mine goes in and out every weekend. It's not that tight, the biggest pain for me is because I dont have the seat stay-hatch/latch so I have to hold it with my head/shoulder while putting the cooler in or removing it. My local liquor store provides free ice, so that's always a stop on the way out of town, just carry the cooler in and they fill it up.

jmw
05-06-2013, 10:23 AM
If you decide not to install I would be interested in the latch holder but the cooler will go in/out with the hinges you just angle the cooler slightly.

Now that I have $75 dollars invested in hinges and the latch. I think that I will have a similar problem.

Lex at Rambo Marine did find some hinges for me but now I'm not sure i want to go to all the trouble to fight a different battle.

BrooksfamX2
05-06-2013, 11:12 AM
You can take the cooler in and out with the seat hinges installed because mine goes in and out every weekend. It's not that tight, the biggest pain for me is because I dont have the seat stay-hatch/latch so I have to hold it with my head/shoulder while putting the cooler in or removing it. My local liquor store provides free ice, so that's always a stop on the way out of town, just carry the cooler in and they fill it up.

What year is your boat?

That would be good news if it comes out.

jmw
05-06-2013, 05:54 PM
2009 214v and friend has 2012 x-30 and he can remove his also. You can get a good idea by looking at the longer seat on the other side about how far it will open. The hinges are the same and the shocks that hold up the longer seat actually probably prevent it from opening up as far as it can. I don't have the latch to hold it up and I'm concerned when I install that latch it may prevent it from opening as far...