PDA

View Full Version : How bad is bad, talking about damaged prop?

john jones
08-15-2012, 11:31 PM
We are at the lake for the week. Long story short we got into a shallow area hit something with the prop. We get into the mooring area I jump into the water with my googles, look at the prop and the tip of one of the blades is bent about 1/4 of an inch from the end.

I took it for a spin, there is no vibration. while I was under the boat under the water I grabbed the prop and can spin it and turn the shaft under water.

So my question is.. can I run this the rest of the weekend? I have a spare, but the guy I bought it from said it was kind of a junky prop and should only be used to get into shore (not sure why this makes sense, don't shoot the messenger)

I believe the prop I have on is an OJ 13 X 11.5 LH 3 blade. I have a 89 tristar 351 indmar. Looking for ideas, suggestions and maybe a used prop to buy.

Thanks

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Ts190 should be 13x13 LH for 1:1 if its original, In the owners manual it says you can pound the prop back into shape with a small ball peen hammer to repair small dings, knicks etc., having said that I would salvage my week. And then contact OJ prop for a repair about $150 and or a replacement $350+, used props pop up from time to time.

FrankSchwab
08-16-2012, 12:54 AM
If it's not causing any vibration, I'd say you're good to go. Don't worry about it; if it haunts your dreams, put in on the winter fix-it list.

I dinged mine for the first time in four years earlier this year, probably worse than your description. I don't plan on fixing it until the next time I ding it.

/frank

mikeg205
08-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Ts190 should be 13x13 LH for 1:1 if its original, In the owners manual it says you can pound the prop back into shape with a small ball peen hammer to repair small dings, knicks etc., having said that I would salvage my week. And then contact OJ prop for a repair about $150 and or a replacement $350+, used props pop up from time to time.

+1^^... the bend could cause some cavitation which will change the flow of water. Take the prop off and reshape it as best you can...won't take long and get it fixed later. Should always have a spare prop anyway...I know they are pricey.. but the save outings...

ntidsl
08-16-2012, 09:01 AM
I can feel the slightest ding on my boat. I am pretty sure the vibration could do further damage. Looking at a prop really won'd be an acuurate way to see a ding or bend...it's tough to see alot of times. If you cannot notice a vibration you are good. If its vibrates I'd get it fixed asap!

EJ OJPROP
08-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Don't suggest bending the prop back yourself. Just causes issues when a prop shop has to repair it correctly.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Don't suggest bending the prop back yourself. Just causes issues when a prop shop has to repair it correctly.

Good to know.....I was wondering about that. I know I would be tempted to try to straighten it out.

I would probably be more successful at bending the other blades to match.:rolleyes:

mikeg205
08-16-2012, 10:35 AM

Only response to this is 'nuff said....:worthy::worthy:

john jones
08-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the help. I will continue to run it for the rest of our trip. I would post some pics but its a pain to get my boat out of the water. Its 100 here in Oregon today, I need to take advantage of the weather before it rains.

Eric, I will be giving you a call next week, thanks for the response. If you have some used props maybe I will get a spare that I know is good and hopefully the one that I currently have can be fixed.

Thanks

blakehardesty
08-16-2012, 12:32 PM
I have an extra 13x13 3 blade I could part with.

thamax
08-16-2012, 01:44 PM
u can try two brass hammers and see if u can get angle back to the blade 1/4 inch isnt alot but its hard to say without seeing the damage but if it vibrates do not run

EJ OJPROP
08-16-2012, 02:12 PM
John - I do not have any used props but we can fix the damaged one.

Please guys, put the hammers down when it comes to garage prop repairs. Same reason one does not do one's own dental work. We have drill bits in the garage and some epoxy lying around but is it really the same repair?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-16-2012, 03:39 PM
John - I do not have any used props but we can fix the damaged one.

Please guys, put the hammers down when it comes to garage prop repairs. Same reason one does not do one's own dental work. We have drill bits in the garage and some epoxy lying around but is it really the same repair?

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

john jones
08-16-2012, 11:49 PM
blake, sent you a PM thanks