PDA

View Full Version : West Nile virus kills 17 in Texas, sickens hundreds

milkmania
08-15-2012, 03:19 PM
The US state of Texas is battling an outbreak of the West Nile virus, with 17 deaths being blamed on the mosquito-borne disease, authorities said Wednesday.
Throughout the state, 381 people have been sickened since the start of the year, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.
"Texas is on track to have the most cases of West Nile illness since the disease first emerged in the state in 2002," it said in a statement.

The county incorporating Dallas, the ninth-largest city in the United States, has been the hardest hit, prompting the mayor to declare a local state of disaster.

more
http://news.yahoo.com/west-nile-virus-kills-16-texas-sickens-hundreds-160247585.html

TxsRiverRat
08-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Being that the disease is carried by birds and transferred to mosquitos, why not eliminate the source instead of the middleman

aquaman
08-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Being that the disease is carried by birds and transferred to mosquitos, why not eliminate the source instead of the middleman

one guess......its easier to try and eliminate all mosquitoes.....than to eliminate any one species of bird ? :rolleyes:

milkmania
08-15-2012, 04:00 PM
my son's pediatrician contracted West Nile Virus a couple years ago, while in Louisiana.... she almost didn't make it:(

TxsRiverRat
08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Wouldnt we just need to find birds with mosquito bites?

bobx1
08-15-2012, 04:20 PM
A couple of my duck hunting buddies were discussing the fact that most of us have already been exposed to West Nile and did not realize it at the time.

"Up to 20 percent of the people who become infected have symptoms such as fever, headache, and body aches, nausea, vomiting, and sometimes swollen lymph glands or a skin rash on the chest, stomach and back. Symptoms can last for as short as a few days, though even healthy people have become sick for several weeks."

AND

"Approximately 80 percent of people (about 4 out of 5) who are infected with WNV will not show any symptoms at all."

Source = http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/wnv_factsheet.htm

And it is thought that once you have been infected, it is possible/likely that you build up some type of immunity from re-infection.

"It is thought that once a person has recovered from WNV, they are immune for life to future infections with WNV. This immunity may decrease over time or with health conditions that compromise the immune system."

Source = http://westnile.ca.gov/wnv_basics.htm

So I think a lot of people that enjoy the outdoors have already had it.....

TxsRiverRat
08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
A couple of my duck hunting buddies were discussing....

"Up to 20 percent of the people who become infected have symptoms such as fever, headache, and body aches, nausea, vomiting, and sometimes swollen lymph glands or a skin rash on the chest, stomach and back. Symptoms can last for as short as a few days, though even healthy people have become sick for several weeks."

I usually call it a huntin' hangover :D

CantRepeat
08-15-2012, 04:53 PM

That's funny right there!

bobx1
08-15-2012, 05:27 PM

Yea....I have come back from a weekend at the hunting camp feeling like crap and when my wife jumped me from being hung over, I replied "get off my a$$, I am suffering from West Nile."

thatsmrmastercraft
08-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Wouldnt we just need to find birds with mosquito bites?

Watch out for birds that are scratching a lot.

TxsRiverRat
08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Watch out for birds that are scratching a lot.

maybe ones that have calamine lotion on...?