PDA

View Full Version : magor issues... HELP!

badgerjfr
08-15-2012, 02:08 PM
hello all,
im a new member and recently bought a 1984 ss knowing it needed a lot of work. challange accepted. after working on this thing for a couple months im at a loss. fisrt ill tell you what i know has been done to the boat then ill tell you my problem.

rebuilt 351 windsor installed
new impellor
all new hoses and belts
new distributor cap and rotor and plugs
new fuel filter
rebuilt 4160 holley marine carburator
and timed the engine once

every time i change/replace something, we take it to the water to test it and always have the same issues.

i can get the boat to idle awesome. it sounds good, revs and relaxes on command. as soon as i put it in gear it boggs so bad and doesn't want to go anywhere. pumping the throttle doesn't help, nothing seems to work. then if i try to put it back in neutral, the engine dies. then it seems a little harder to get it to start again. im at my whits end

couple things i havent tried yet
replace coil
replace fuel pump
checked breather or anti-siphon valve
had a boating friend tell me my firing order may be off and causing the problem

basically im looking for some guidance, ideas, correct firing order? whatever anyone can spare. i would really like to get this thing running before evrything freezes over for the winter. please help.

thanks for your time
-jeff

oxberger
08-15-2012, 02:29 PM
badgerjfr, first welcome to TT. Second, it sounds like a fuel issue. I would start with checking the anti siphon valve then the fuel filters. There should be 2. One is inline before you get to the fuel pump, the other is in the bowl attahced to the fuel pump. I would also check the fuel pressure and flow into carb when going into gear. I hope that helps. The hardcore guys will chime in to help out with other things to check.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Welcome aboard. This shouldn't be too tough to isolate where the problem is coming from and handle it. First need to figure out if this is related to fuel, electrical or your transmission. Fuel is the simple place to start. With the boat in the water and the doghouse open and the flame arrestor removed, you need to carefully inspect what is happening in the carb as it stalls and is hard to restart. You need to see that the choke blade is open all the way. You also need to determine if the carb is getting too much fuel and flooding out, or not getting enough fuel and running out of gas. After it stalls, watch to see if there is any fuel being squirted by the accelerator pump.

You can monitor spark at a spark plug wire or the coil wire with a timing light. Simply use duct tape to keep the trigger in and have someone watch to see what the light does in relationship to the engine.

Another possibility is a transmission/drive-shaft issue. If it is binding, it may not allow you to operate the boat. What does the fluid look and smell like? Is the level correct? Visually inspect the running gear under the boat for any damage.

Whew.......that should keep you busy for a bit. Hopefully not too busy to post a pic of this boat. We all love to see boat pics.

badgerjfr
08-15-2012, 03:46 PM
thanks guys. ill start with this. i dont think its the transmission, but i will check the fluid levels just to be safe. the prop looks almost new and all fins look original so i dont think its ever hit anything and when it is in gear not under good power the drive rod doesnt seem to have a wobble or anything, but i will double check eevrything just to be safe. thanks again. i will definately be ripping apart the fuel system and hopefully finding some issues that will solve my problems. heres a pic. and thanks again.

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
She's a beauty hope you get her squared away soon.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-15-2012, 04:39 PM
That is a great looking boat. :cool:

snork
08-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Carb diaphragm

badgerjfr
08-16-2012, 01:56 PM
another quick question for all the boat gurus out there. does anyone have any favorite websites they visit to find parts for the "older" mastercrafts. a place with reasonable prices, and good customer service? thanks all.

snork
08-16-2012, 03:20 PM
try skidim.com

Cloaked
08-16-2012, 09:33 PM
try skidim.com

+ 1 on Discount Inboard Marine...

Matt L.
08-17-2012, 01:39 AM
What ignition are you running? Most EI conversions will act like that if you have low voltage (less than 9.5v) at the coil.

I had 7.5 at the coil due to corrosion induced resistance at multiple points. This caused my Pertronix Ignitor II to act fine on the fake lake, but fell completely flat in the water and couldn't get out of the hole.

Good luck, look great!

Matt

SkiDaddy
08-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Do the easy things first - since you mentioned firing order, make 100% sure you have that right. You'll be chasing your tail until you are sure. Search on here for the correct order and which cylinders are which..............

ctjahn
08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
hello all,
im a new member and recently bought a 1984 ss knowing it needed a lot of work. challange accepted. after working on this thing for a couple months im at a loss. fisrt ill tell you what i know has been done to the boat then ill tell you my problem.

rebuilt 351 windsor installed
new impellor
all new hoses and belts
new distributor cap and rotor and plugs
new fuel filter
rebuilt 4160 holley marine carburator
and timed the engine once

every time i change/replace something, we take it to the water to test it and always have the same issues.

i can get the boat to idle awesome. it sounds good, revs and relaxes on command. as soon as i put it in gear it boggs so bad and doesn't want to go anywhere. pumping the throttle doesn't help, nothing seems to work. then if i try to put it back in neutral, the engine dies. then it seems a little harder to get it to start again. im at my whits end

couple things i havent tried yet
replace coil
replace fuel pump
checked breather or anti-siphon valve
had a boating friend tell me my firing order may be off and causing the problem

basically im looking for some guidance, ideas, correct firing order? whatever anyone can spare. i would really like to get this thing running before evrything freezes over for the winter. please help.

thanks for your time
-jeff

Where are you in Wisconsin?
Cj - Oconomowoc, Wi (between Madison and Milwaukee)

badgerjfr
08-17-2012, 02:28 PM
thanks for the site, I'll be sure to check it out.

UPDATE: i started goimg through the fuel lines again. starting at the tank and working my way to the carb. when i got to the fuel pump, i removed it and took it apart. one of the two valves inside the pump was literally floating around. im guessing this might be part of my problems if not all of my problems.

i will be ordering a new one very soon and let everyone know how it turns out. also i dont want to sound completely stupid but where is the anti siphon valve located on an 84 Craft. basically can i get to it or do i have to pull the gas tank out ect. thanks again everyone.

badgerjfr
08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Also i will be double checking the firing order and checking the voltage at the coil while i wait for the pump to arrive. and CJ, i live over in the Trempealeau area just north of LaCrosse. thanks again everyone.

badgerjfr
08-22-2012, 11:11 PM
finally... it ran. i actually got it off the trailor and took it for a little cruise. what finally did the trick, the firing order was off, or possibly not makeing a good connection. i ripped all the plug wires off, laid them out, and visually inspacted each one before putting them back on the engine. tripple checked the firing order. turned the key and it started right up. AWESOME!!! i still have some minor things to do this weekend, idle, timing, steering, but im guessing ill be pulling skiiers and tubers on saturday. Thanks again for all the advice, and ideas, it really paid off and i can't thank you enough.