PDA

View Full Version : Speed Calibration Help Needed, Cruise Way Off

Specter
08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Since I was presented with calm water last night I decided to perform the speed calibration function on my '12 X-30. Unfortunately, I've run into other issues that I'm hoping you can help me decode. My boat has the standard gauges which I believe are referenced here as GDIG.

1. I got the boat up to around 23mph

2. At a consistent speed I flipped the screen to Setup and eventually made my way to the speed calibration function

3. Once I started speed calibration it showed 2 speeds and I adjusted the only one it would let me - the bottom number. I was using a GPS app on my phone that allowed me to dial it in down to a tenth.

4. Once I got the boat speed to match the GPS I left the screen alone and it went back to the main menu.

5. To test my new speed I set cruise control at 20mph, accelerated the boat, the boat took over and cruise speed said 20 but actual speed read 17.8mph.

Why would I experience a discrepancy between actual and cruise?

Thanks in advance for the help.

TxsRiverRat
08-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Is there a setting for a crew weight or skier/boarder weight?

For my PP, you need to set the weights properly - actual crew weight and 0 skier weight.

Specter
08-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Is there a setting for a crew weight or skier/boarder weight?

For my PP, you need to set the weights properly - actual crew weight and 0 skier weight.

I believe my cruise is MasterCruise, not PerfectPass. I do know it's driven by a paddlewheel in the triducer.

Ski-me
08-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Do you need to enter into the calibration menu in neutral before adjusting??!? Just a guess though.....as my system is an old PP unit and not a MC cruise unit.

Nick911
08-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Had a similar issue. The two speeds on the GDIG were different than on the BIG screen, and of course, the GPS speed was reading about 2 mph faster.

Now I don't trust the actual GPS speed because my surf settings at about 11 mph are primed. To drop speed to match GPS would mean my prime surfing is happening at 13 mph, which is way too fast as verified by other X25 owners here.

Decided to leave it as is or try another GPS.

As an aside, I would not trust a phone-based GPS.

Specter
08-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Do you need to enter into the calibration menu in neutral before adjusting??!? Just a guess though.....as my system is an old PP unit and not a MC cruise unit.
That's what I did because it wouldn't engage the setup menu when I was up to the desired speed.

Had a similar issue. The two speeds on the GDIG were different than on the BIG screen, and of course, the GPS speed was reading about 2 mph faster.

Now I don't trust the actual GPS speed because my surf settings at about 11 mph are primed. To drop speed to match GPS would mean my prime surfing is happening at 13 mph, which is way too fast as verified by other X25 owners here.

Decided to leave it as is or try another GPS.

As an aside, I would not trust a phone-based GPS.

My dealer is going to send this to engineering at MC and see what they come up with. In the meantime I may reset everything and leave it alone.

kskonn
08-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Are you in water with a current? Paddle wheel will pick up actual surface speed, if you are in a river it won't match GPS

Specter
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Are you in water with a current? Paddle wheel will pick up actual surface speed, if you are in a river it won't match GPS

We are on the TN River but I wouldn't think the current is strong enough to offset it that much. I've been wrong before though. :D

At this point it sounds like the best thing to do is reset everything and go back to factory settings.

CLTMC
08-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Since I was presented with calm water last night I decided to perform the speed calibration function on my '12 X-30. Unfortunately, I've run into other issues that I'm hoping you can help me decode. My boat has the standard gauges which I believe are referenced here as GDIG.

1. I got the boat up to around 23mph

2. At a consistent speed I flipped the screen to Setup and eventually made my way to the speed calibration function

3. Once I started speed calibration it showed 2 speeds and I adjusted the only one it would let me - the bottom number. I was using a GPS app on my phone that allowed me to dial it in down to a tenth.

4. Once I got the boat speed to match the GPS I left the screen alone and it went back to the main menu.

5. To test my new speed I set cruise control at 20mph, accelerated the boat, the boat took over and cruise speed said 20 but actual speed read 17.8mph.

Why would I experience a discrepancy between actual and cruise?

Thanks in advance for the help.

You need to calibrate the center G-Dig at 30mph, once you get to 30mph and have it adjusted the screen will disappear and it should adjust itself.

The Perfect Pass has settings in the big screen, go to the help menu, click cruise control and adjust your RPM base line’s to match the MPH you are actually seeing on the dash.

Above should help

kskonn
08-15-2012, 04:55 PM
We are on the TN River but I wouldn't think the current is strong enough to offset it that much. I've been wrong before though. :D

At this point it sounds like the best thing to do is reset everything and go back to factory settings.

My river is about a 3mph difference from surface speed and actual speed. Have you tried going up and down river to see if the the difference flips the other direction? basically going up river your paddle wheen speed will be faster than GPS going down river the paddle wheel speed will be lower than GPS,that would tell you if current is contributing to the problem.

TxsRiverRat
08-15-2012, 05:02 PM
it could be a combination of river current and wind speed. even an easy 10 mph wind would cause my slalom course time to go from 16.95 to 17.50 (34 mph to 33 mph)

best calibration practice is to calibrate on stagnant glassy waters where theres no current or wind.

Specter
08-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all of the info. We tried to calibrate again tonight at 30mph and I have the same issue. I'm over trying to get this dialed in.

How do I reset the system so that it goes back to factory calibration?

Quinten
08-17-2012, 04:10 AM
If you have the big, go home and than to settings and there is some button that says reset factory settings.

Specter
08-17-2012, 06:48 AM
If you have the big, go home and than to settings and there is some button that says reset factory settings.

I don't have the BIG I have the GDIG.

501s
08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
I Found the same issue, I could never get the speed to calibrate and save properly. I gave up.

Specter
08-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Just spoke with a tech from my local dealer and he said that in order to "reset" the system you have to pull up the speed calibration screen while sitting still and let it preset back to 0 MPH. I'm going to try this tomorrow AM.